1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Bain

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Jan 31, 2018.

Discuss Scott Bain in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IF Scott Bain had thought making his debut for Celticagainst Rangers at Ibrox after being called in as a late replacement for injured club mate Craig Gordon back in March was tough, then he will have quickly revised his opinion.

The goalkeeper earned his first cap for Scotland in the most difficult circumstances imaginable in Central America at the weekend - he came on for Jon McLaughlin at the start of the second-half in a friendly at the Azteca Stadium which hosts Mexico were dominating.

The famous stadium was packed with tens of thousands of noisy supporters who were keen to see the home team rack up a big victory in their final warm-up game on home turf before the Russia 2018 finals and he was immediately called on to produce a string of saves.

To top it all, his team were also struggling to cope with the conditions – Mexico City is over 7,000 feet above sea level and the high altitude was leaving the visitors short of breath as the game wore on.

But having worked on a building site as a labourer while he was playing for part-time Alloa and having been frozen out at Dundee at the start of the season, Bain wasn’t exactly complaining.

Winning his first cap for his country and keeping a clean sheet in the 45 minutes which he was on the park on such an incredible occasion and in such impressive surroundings has capped both an extraordinary rise to prominence and a rollercoaster season for the 26-year-old.

“I thoroughly enjoyed getting thrown on there,” he said. “It was an amazing place to play your first game for Scotland.

“You could see that Mexico were a really good side. There is a reason they are going to the World Cup. I thought the boys played really well in terms of limiting them. But as the game went on the boys got really tired because the game was played at altitude. It is a different game. It is very difficult.

You don’t know if you can cope with it, you don’t know if you can play at the level until you are thrown in there. I am thankful to the manager that he wanted to put me on in the second-half there. He gave me an opportunity to show what I can do for Scotland.”

Bain added: “It is mad when you look back to where I started. This season especially has probably summed up my whole career. It shows you can be thrown to the side and then suddenly you are on top of the world. It has been great. The game on Saturday topped it off.

“I think I had the belief in myself that I could play at this level anyway, but it is nice to go on the pitch and do a decent enough job.”

Bain feels that worked under manager Brendan Rodgers and alongside players like Scott Brown, Mikael Lustig and Kieran Tierney on a daily basis at the Scottish champions in the past four months has changed his mindset and enabled him to cope with playing for his country.

“I’ve got a new attitude since I went to Celtic,” said Bain. “I have a new mentality which has been instilled by the manager and the players I am playing with. I enjoy the big games, I hope many more come. I will just keep going. It is a case of getting better every day.”

2. celtic warrior

Warming up to the guy, seems to be progressing well, keep this up and he's probably our Christmas NO.1.

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Picking up Craig Gordon’s bad habits

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aside from being caught in no man's land right at the death I thought he was pretty good tonight. His distribution is far superior to Gordon's.

Also likes to get it out nice and early, which is a necessity against teams camped in.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

For some reason I feel more comfortable with him in goals than Gordon.

Even though I know he's not very good and Gordon is a better GK than he.

Weird.

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Like him but * was he doing at the end.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's a lucky boy..

Played well before that as well..

Don't come for 30% ball's in your favour when we're 1 up in the last minute for fucksake..

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Hope he plays in all the Cup games this season..

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Same :56:

10. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Lucky Bhoy.

11. Mr. Slippyfist

Must be just because it's anybody bar Gordon :56:

Liam Scales likes this.
  12. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Nearly * it at the end.

Genuinely don't care who our number 1 is now. Both seem to be prone to the same mistakes and capable of the same outstanding saves as each other in all honesty.

13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He’s not really put a foot wrong until then. So I’m reality he’s doing alright.

14. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    Did well until the end when he decided he wanted to play Centre Half instead of Goal keeper.

15. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    A rush of blood to the head at the end could’ve * it

Think that mightve been him trying too hard. Other than that, I though he was decent enough.

Wouldn’t mind him starting the next few games to see how consistent his shot stopping ability is.

His distribution is far better than Gordon anyway. WOUldnt be hard mind you..

16. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Gordon * up like him at the end and theres 5 pages of abuse added onto Gordons thread. I understand the anybody but gordon attitude but Bain is literally anybody. Brutal at the end there.

shaunbhoy67 likes this.
  17. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Compared to Gordon
    He's quicker onto balls that carry into his box, Gordon waits until the ball gets to him rather than moving to the ball
    He has faster distribution, Gordon in possession has a very slow release which is the equivalent to our defence sideways passing allowing the opposition to reset themselves
    His distribution with feet is far superior

For out right goalkeeping I still think Gordon is better. But to be honest it can rightly be argued Bain deserves a crack.
    Apart from the bad decision late on he played well.

Gordons body & reflexes matched with Bains speed & feet and we got ourselves a keeper.

Mince.Charming and Seán Mac D like this.
  18. W33kev

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson moravcik lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa, athenry, willie maley,let the people sing
    Hopefully after that * tonight he gets his chance against at johnstone and holds down a berth in the team.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  19. Jeremie Frimpong

He has to be first choice now. Gordon is a liability.

20. W33kev

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson moravcik lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa, athenry, willie maley,let the people sing
    So is hendry and lustig, we are meant to have the best squad depth in the league but it feels threadbare