1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Oliver Burke

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jan 5, 2019.

Discuss Oliver Burke in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Can tell he lacks match sharpness and confidence, the goals will come for him and the performances with it.

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Thought he looked quite decent. Few nice runs, couple of clever flicks and nice attempts. Definitely not the worst debut

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. ladbroke8

Just the way he moves and looks

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN Rodgers has vowed to help Oliver Burke add football intelligence to his natural attributes and fulfil his enormous potential during his loan spell at Celtic.

The 21-year-old has struggled to build on the early promise he showed after he broke through at Nottingham Forest during spells with RB Leipzig in Germany and West Brom in England.

However, Rodgers, who has a proven track record with youngsters, admitted he was excited at the prospect of working with the 6ft 2in player. He is confident the former Scotland winger, who can also play through the middle, can come good if he is clear about his role in the side.

I think Oliver is flexible enough, but he needs work," he said.

"Leipzig don’t play with wingers. He played at the top of the diamond as a striker. If that’s the first time you’ve played that position, and you’re not really clear about it, then it can be very difficult. So it’s trying to give clarity.

“He can come here, take a few steps back and learn for a few months. That’s what we do here. We coach and teach players the position."

Rodgers added: “I’ve always had that with young players - the best example being Raheem Sterling. I used Raheem on the right side, on the left side and the top of the diamond. He also played as a striker. At times I also used him at right-back — just running up the field on his own. He was that good.

“So with Oliver I think it’s helping him see the game. He is a bright boy, he’s got good technique although he needs to work on his efficiency - there’s no doubt of that.

“But how can we help him? How can we improve and develop him? Talk him through it, coach him, give him confidence. Then let’s see where he’s at because there’s no doubt - when you saw him break on to the scene - it was a 'wow’ feeling

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Tommy25 likes this.
  5. CountyDownFaithful

Thought he done well today given he was playing out of position. Playing through the middle against two banks of 4 with no space in behind meant he couldn’t really showcase his pace and power. Bit rusty but he linked play well on a few occasions and held the ball up.

Would start him again on Wednesday but perhaps shift him to the right wing and put Forrest through the middle - a lot of Forrest’s goal actually come from when he floats into the middle of the pitch.

Tommy25 and Sean Daleer like this.
  6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He's not a centre forward. Not in Scotland anyway where his pace is nullified by deep lying defences.

I doubt Brendan sees him as a number 9 long term. Well as long term as 4 months can be anyway...

7. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    :rofl:

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I can see why Rodgers has belief in him but it’ll take more than 6 months to turn him into a player. He’s a big athlete with physical ability but his footballing brain is next to non-existent.

9. green-yin

Think im in the minority but thought he had a decent game considering it was his first game for us and taking into account hes barely played for months and was played out of position

ChrisMoh, Jo-Jo-Buffon and Tommy25 like this.
  10. Jeremie Frimpong

And yet he started him as a striker on his Celtic debut.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THE journey to Celtic’s picturesque training ground at the foot of the Campsie Hills on the outskirts of Glasgow requires a sophisticated sat nav, as Oliver Burke found when he got lost on his first day reporting for duty at Lennoxtown. But, for Burke, this six-month loan move is all about firmly putting himself back on the map.

The 21-year-old’s journey is as winding as the route to his new base. Having become Scotland’s most expensive player after joining Bundesliga side RB Leipzig for £13 million in 2016, his time there lasted just 12 months before West Brom paid £15m for his services. With such big fees, the 21-year-old is not short on baggage but he is on game time with just five first-team appearances this season down south after falling out of the picture when Darren Moore

succeeded Tony Pulis at West Brom.

“I feel as if I have been starving from not playing games,” said the five-times capped Scotland internationalist. “Hopefully, now I can play and enjoy myself here. That is important for me to develop as a player.”

It will be interesting to see just where Burke fits into the bigger

picture at Celtic between now and the end of the season. The general

consensus is that his best position is on the right wing but with James Forrest an ever-present there for Celtic it could be that Burke is asked to play a more attacking role for Brendan Rodgers’ side.

“I see myself as a striker/winger. I will play anywhere to be honest,” said Burke. “As long as I can do my bit for the team and help them. Hopefully I can learn the system here and bed in. I would like to swap roles as that will make me more flexible and learn different roles on the pitch. I started out as a winger and that

position is more natural to me. But I feel I am starting to learn the striking position and I can get better under Brendan.”

And Rodgers’ ability to sell the club was pivotal to Burke opting for the Glasgow switch. The 45-year-old’s powers of persuasion have given Burke the belief that he will get the opportunity he craves to resurrect his fledgling career but it remains to be seen exactly what the nature of his role will be. While last season’s deal for Charly Musonda proved to be a damp – and expensive – squib, there have been more obviously successful loans with the likes of Patrick

Roberts impressing.

“It [Rodgers] was one of the main reasons for coming here,” enthused Burke. “He is a fantastic manager and he has worked with some amazing talents here. That was one of the key points of me coming and I knew I will progress as a player here. Hopefully, I can push on and get better each day.

“I think it’s a brilliant set-up although I was struggling to get here at first. I couldn’t find the training ground as it is in the middle of nowhere. Finally I got here and I feel as if I have gelled with the team already. I knew a few of the players already and that has helped me enormously.”

The money that has been exchanged for Burke’s services might be staggering, all the more so when consideration is given to the fact he has started just 27 first-team games in his career. But, for the player himself, for whom such vast numbers are entirely outwith the only figures that matter for him now are his on-pitch stats.

“I don’t really think of the transfers and everything that has happened,” he said. “I try to keep my mind off it. Football is crazy in terms of money just now. It is now important for me to play as many games as I can.

I want to have that breaking period where I am settled and enjoying my football. Potential will stick with me because everything happened with me at a young age. It is going to be there.”

The next six months offer the chance to put down another marker.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If he sees himself as a striker someone better tell him otherwise.

He’ll never be a striker, doesn’t have the killer instinct.

13. Celtic Bhoy 94

Doesn’t have the killer instinct YET...

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    His work rate is outstanding

Tommy25 likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Very very impressed by his touch and runs so far..

Been quality..

Tommy25 likes this.
  16. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Looking better. Still not convinced he's a no.9 though.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Pleased for him.

Gonna take some time to get upto speed.

18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Excellent first half, good touch for a big man, intelligent runs and really good work rate.

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    2 up...not bad for someone who isn't a striker!

20. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Has a brilliant eye for a quick touch or pass inside the box. You can't teach that instinct.