1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kundai Benyu!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Jun 29, 2017.

Discuss Kundai Benyu! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I was taken aback by him, he stood out like a sore thumb in the first half today.

I thought he was a centre mid but he does have a trick in him and is a powerful runner. Was beasting folk off the ball then playing lovely passes.

I think he may be the surprise of the season, even to Rodgers by the sounds of it.

McManus4, Bumblebee and Tommy25 like this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Boss Rodgers admits he has had to rethink his plan to loan him out after being blown away by his ability since joining.

And the London-born midfielder, 19, insists he is up to the task of playing in the first team if called on.

Benyu said: “Impressing the manager was my main objective. He wasn’t sure if I was going to go on loan.

“I’ve come in, worked as hard as I can so I’m happy to stay and fight for my place.

“I’d much rather be settled in Glasgow with the boys playing every week.

“Given time, working as hard as I can in training and listening to the gaffer and his advice I think I’ll be able to get in the team as much as I can.

“But I’m ready to step in now if I have to, if the gaffer calls upon me.”

Benyu looked assured and quick-footed against Lyon and Rodgers said: “Benny’s surprised me.

“We knew he was a good player but initially the plan was to give him an idea of how we work then he might have gone on loan.

“But I’ve changed my mind after watching him.

“It’s going to be good for him to have six months with us to see how we train and work.

“He’s a boy who can contribute for us and he’s done very well.

“You see what we’re trying to build here in terms of players being technically gifted but they have to have good mobility and good physicality and he has that.

“He’s played with a nice little edge, he’s competitive and has confidence.

“He wants to get goals and he’s actually quite exciting.”

Benyu — on loan at National League side Aldershot last term — revealed he agreed to join the Hoops after snubbing offers from the English Premier League.

He said: “It was a straightforward decision to come here.

“There were Premier League clubs interested, Championship and League One clubs too. But when I heard Celtic wanted me I said ‘Yes’ straight away.

“Playing against Lyon was a good experience. I love it here. The atmosphere, even though the ground wasn’t full, was great.”

3. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    That's great news would like to see him in around the first team squad.

4. doctor venglos

He looks a real talent, and seems to have the natural confidence of Dembele. He has the right build, height and movement too.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  5. Bumblebee

I was super hyped when we signed him (mainly because of his awesome hair, don't change it please Benyu) glad to hear he was a stand out today. Really excited for this kid.

fourleafclover likes this.
  6. Crilly

Like a black right-footed nakamura the way he played... Heard he's good at free kicks too

7. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I hadn't seen him play before today so not sure where he's played previously, but from today's performance there is no way he is a natural left winger. Couldn't have come inside more to look for the ball if he tried. Suggests to me that he's used to playing central and feels he does his best work there.

That's not a criticism by the way, thought he was our best player. But you can tell right away when a player isn't a natural winger and that looked like the case.

Looks a great talent. Was a stand out today.

mickcfc91 likes this.
  8. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

McCourt

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Wonder if Lee congerton was behind his signing

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

10. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Missed the game, any clips?

Sounds promising from the posts, didn't really expect that at all.

11. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Dont know why you think getting rogic's place would be any easier.. our best player for me

12. JamesM09

This one sounds really promising. I thought he would be an afterthought really, maybe sent out on loan and unless he made an impact like Callum McGregor did on his loan we wouldn't hear from him again.

Could he be like a Delle Alli? Missed out at youth level by the top clubs but becomes a star?

13. CodyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ninetoes Finder
    100%, don't understand why people suggest replacing Rogic. Best player bar none

Aussie_Dan and johnno379 like this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Mostly because we've all kinda accepted there's a good chance there'll be parts of the season when he's unavailable and he does need rested from time to time.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEW Bhoy Kundai Benyu is delighted that Brendan Rodgers has decided not to loan him out in the first half of the season.

Initially, the Hoops boss had planned for the talented teenager to depart on a temporary move in the opening six months of the campaign to allow him to garner competitive game-time.

But the Irishman has been impressed at how the young midfielder has acquitted himself in Paradise since he joined from Ipswich Town at the end of June, most recently in Saturday’s friendly defeat to Olympique Lyonnais.

And now Benyu will continue to hone his game at Lennoxtown over the coming months, which will give him a further opportunity to stake a top-team claim for the Bhoys.

Speaking after making his senior bow for the Celts in Paradise against Lyon, he said: “I knew I would be involved but I didn’t expect to start really. I was happy to start and play 70 minutes, which was good for my fitness.

“I wasn’t sure if I was going to go on loan but I came in here and worked as hard as I can so I’m happy to stay and fight for my place.

“I would much rather be settled here in Glasgow with the boys, playing week-in, week-out in the league, so I’m happy to do that.

“Given time and by working as hard as I can in training, and by listening to the gaffer’s advice, I think I will be able to get into the team as much as I can.

“I think I’m ready to step in now if the gaffer calls on me but the main objective is to keep working hard in training every day.

“I love everything here. The atmosphere (against Lyon), even though it wasn’t full, was great and the fans and players have all been welcoming, while there are great facilities at the club.

He added: "There were other (English) Premier League, Championship and League One clubs interested but when I heard Celtic were interested, I said yeah. It’s a very big step but this is what I want to try and do in my career."

16. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

The same could have been said of Lustig a season or 2 ago though mate. I have every faith in the medical staff to get Rogic up to a standard were he's available every week.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I hope so as well mate, I don't think it's a definite or anything like that. People just automatically do it in their heads because that's just the way it's been for Tam.

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Definitely got a coup here for * all.

Slipped under the radar down South, although in saying that I'm sure he did have a trial at Spurs.

19. Scullybhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Easy Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Liked the look of the guy. Don't see any pressure on Rogic whatsoever as I think he will prove to be our best player. Exciting times ahead methinks.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Wash your mouth out!!

doctor venglos likes this.