1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jonny Hayes

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jun 14, 2017.

Discuss Jonny Hayes in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Unbaaaleavable!!!....sorry folks :drag:

Doogs. and Drakhan like this.
  2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye basically domestic loans means the player cannot play against parent club nothing to do with us it's the rules

Drakhan likes this.
  3. Murph-E

Hayes isn't as good as the Lisbon Lions, or Paddy Roberts, being ugly doesn't make him any better a player or person, and he isn't particularly wee, nor is he some hard man. He's a modern footballer just like every other modern footballer.

But apart from all that :56:

4. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Christie might have requested this himself drak

5. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I agree with what he's saying, apart from everything :giggle1:

6. MikeyM

Every manager makes bad signings, no matter how good a season they've had. Even if they appear to be a great signing, it might turn out badly, e.g. Guardiola buying Ibrahimovic or Fabregas; Sir Alex was responsible for massive amounts of money being spent on duds. I'm certainly not doubting Rodgers managerial ability and I'm also not saying Hayes will be a bad addition

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    And all I'm saying is Brendan should have earned enough respect for people to have faith in his decisions.

8. shaunm

Still not sure of this signing,think he fits the profile though,quick,aggressive and hardworking,can see him playing on the right tbh,cutting inside,Remember Paddy wasn't in the team for months was always Forrest,think Brendan prefers direct quick wide players instead of tricky ones,just my opinion

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Excited to see what the wee man has to offer to this team.

Will be great to see him in the Hoops, instead of being the constant thorn in our side that he has been for a number of years now.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN RODGERS reckons Jonny Hayes’ career got lost.

But the Celtic boss never gave up hope of finding him.

Rodgers took Hayes to Reading as a youngster before he moved on to Chelsea.

For years he considered signing him again but it never quite happened.

Now at Celtic, Rodgers has snapped up the winger in a £1.3million deal from Aberdeen — and the Hoops boss couldn’t be happier with his arrival.

He said: “I was delighted we were able to get Jonny in. He was a young player I knew from back when he was just 15 or 16.

“Funnily enough he was ready to come to Celtic at that time.

“He had a number of offers, like Manchester City and others. But we got to hear about him quite late on and he was so refreshing.

“He was a player you could see had come into football late.

“But he just played with a freedom. And what he had was this real hunger and drive.

“He had attributes I really like. He was fast, he was powerful and he was hungry. Not only that, he was a worker. So I was delighted when we were able to tempt him to come to Reading.

“Celtic was a big draw for him then but we were able to talk him out of coming here. Unfortunately for Jonny, probably, I only stayed at Reading for 13 or 14 months and then I went to Chelsea.

“He probably didn’t quite push on to what I thought he could at Reading. He got lost a little bit in his career before coming to Scotland.

“When I was watching him play for Inverness I was thinking about taking him to Swansea. At that time I had Scott Sinclair and Nathan Dyer and I wanted another one to come in.

“I then went on to Liverpool and he wasn’t on my radar, but I always watched to see how he was doing. And I’ve got to say, that since he’s gone to Aberdeen, in the last four years he’s got better and better each season.

“It’s a great credit to himself — and also Derek McInnes and his staff — how well he’s developed. I felt that last year he was the most dangerous player that I’d faced by a country mile.

“And I felt that he was someone with hunger, someone who is coachable and has the skillset to play around five positions really well. He’s got experience so when you think of our main objectives — to dominate Scottish football and make improvements in Europe — then for me he can do both of those.”

Hayes, at 29, is at the peak of his career.

At his unveiling last week he spoke of how he feared the chance of a big club move had passed him by.

But that only makes him more determined to grab his chance.

And, as a Celtic supporter, Rodgers reckons the winger will give his LIFE to the club.

He added: “He’s just broken into the international scene with the Republic of Ireland.

“So I think — with him at 29, he’s still very fit and very strong — he’s a fantastic signing for us. He’s one who will really get the supporters up off their seat in a different way to young Pat Roberts.

“Pat was a dribbler who could beat people. Jonny is about pace, about power, but what he always does is face people up — and one-to-one he’s exceptional on the left side or the right side.

“So I think the supporters are going to really take to him. He’ll give his life, he’s a Celtic guy.

“His family are Celtic and I sometimes feel when you have those types about you maybe get that little extra one or two per cent.

“He’s at that age where he can really look forward to it. He won’t be pressurised by it. It’s my job to try and lift that from him, because of course there’s always pressure playing for Celtic.

“But I’ve brought him in here for a purpose and a reason. We’ll bring in a few players but we don’t need quantity this season, we need quality.

“And I wouldn’t have brought Jonny in if I didn’t think he could add to what we’ve got. We played 60-odd games last season and we’re going to lose some players from within the squad who’ll want to go and get more games somewhere else.

“But it’s important we keep the squad strong so that if one player comes out another can go straight in.

“And Jonny is absolutely perfect for our squad.”

11. celtic20

Just think he'll be absolutely explosive on our counters next season.

12. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    I'm happy with him signing, he can cover 2 or 3 positions and is a good player. However, as others have said, he cannot be our replacement for Patrick Roberts.

The IRA likes this.
  13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The number 15 shirt is fitting for him. Can see him scoring a few thunderbastards that Commons would be proud of.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  14. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    you right, I think they had just been relegated or something, but it doesn't change the fact that McGregor did play out wide and did well, and I understand the Hayes is a backup, but given how stingy our board is, paying that much for a backup who has not shown himself to be anything more than a good SPL player, is not worth it, at least we could have looked for other options, especially younger ones

15. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    I like the cut of his jib..
    I think he'll run through walls for Brendan . . . :31: . .

StPauli1916 and Random Review like this.
  16. BruceLeeBhoy

Looking forward to see how well he can do here..been looking at him for a few years at aberdeen thinking he could have something we could use.

I expected a mixed reaction to this....but has been the sheeps best player since he signed with them and has always played well against us and rattled in some worldy's too.

Time will tell but potentially could be a good player for us...not sure how well he has played in europe for the sheep but im sure he was a stand out in a few of them.

17. BruceLeeBhoy

its hilarious really we dont sing eniough home based players too many foriegners from x y and z and when we do sign from spl its meh...pfft yawn...not good enough

similar reaction to griff's signing too

18. BruceLeeBhoy

Yet to even kick a ball for us and yet the negativity still oozes from some.

Cheer up ffs

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney

He's got a bit better looking already

Damnati likes this.