1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedryck Boyata

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Boom Stick, May 31, 2015.

Discuss Dedryck Boyata in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. LloydsGamble

Quite harsh tbh, he played well apart from going in for a rash tackle and getting beaten, but would have been forgotten about if not for a great strike from their player.

I prefer him over Erik but there's not much in it. Boyata is a consistently better defender than Erik for me but his mistakes tend to be more glaring.

As long as Jozo is in there, we're fine. No more Erik/Boyata please.

Swervedancer likes this.
  2. Swervedancer Guest

I'm still undecided because when Erik and Jozo were partners they looked excellent. I do like Boyata's return though and in the huns game he was very good I though apart from one brutal mistake letting the oil tanker through when Gordon made an excellent save.

But the amount of headed clearances was very good. Erik had a nightmare that game but I've seen him play much much better than that.

I also like Boyata's forward runs today, hitting the ball into the middle towards Armstrong, he noticed that Dundee weren't covering that area so well. What freaks me out about defenders making runs is if they lose it then it's so dangerous being the last wall of defence. However, when done well it can create a lot of chances.

It is Broony's role though, don't know why he wasn't doing it. Just knackered maybe.

@LloydsGamble As long as Jozo is in there, we're fine. No more Erik/Boyata please.

Would say I agree with that.

3. LloydsGamble

Good point, he was one of the only players attempting some incisive passing and it mostly came off from what I remember.

The thing for me with Boyata is that he's trying to improve and he'll take chances here and there and when it doesn't come off (a loose pass, an aggressive tackle) he looks bad.

Erik quietly has bad games, but doesn't make glaring errors. I feel that's more because he plays it safe and doesn't try and take the game by the scruff of the neck the way Boyata was at least trying to do in the incident that lead to their goal.

He thought he saw the chance to quickly win the ball back and get us on the counter-attack, and I don't mind that. Wrong decision in that instance and I'm sure Brendan would have talked to him about it, but I don't mind that he's trying to make things happen.

Don't forget he adds an extra dimension at set pieces. I never expected us to score from set pieces before, but with Boyata playing, I do.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    The67Sound and Swervedancer like this.
  4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Really like big Debo

Good he got called back up for Belgium

5. Cupid Stunt

I'm not overly convinced by any of our centre backs to be honest. I think just now Simunovic and Boyata are the best pairing we have, but Boyata always seems one bad pass away from a shaky few minutes and while his distribution has improved dramatically, he's still got an absolute howler of a ball out in him. He's probably fairly comparable to Gordon in that respect. Sviatchenko seems to have lost a lot of confidence somewhere along the line as well, I'm not sure if it was his display at Ibrox that caused that, but he was pretty poor against the Huns again in the 1-1 game and seems to always get caught the wrong side of forwards and under the ball any time someone lumps one up in the air towards him. Simunovic is probably my favourite of the three, but he's a more no-nonsense defender and I'm not sure that suits Rodgers game or plan for the team. He's also susceptible to giving away poor free-kicks like Sviatchenko.

I'd honestly be surprised if upgrading our centre backs wasn't one of Rodgers priorities going in to next season. Kolo probably won't play another game for us outside of token appearances in nothing games, but his quality at the beginning of the season was for me the difference between CL football and no CL football. That's the kind of level of player that will progress us on to the next level and I'm not sure any of the three we have are near that, not without someone better like Kolo besides them. (Obviously I'm meaning a physically fit Kolo, not the Kolo just now that looks like John Hartson would lap him running round the pitch).

6. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony and Willie Maley
    Deserved it, he plays better than Erik this season IMO.

7. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Think i might be in the minority here but Erik is still our best CB...

Peej likes this.
  8. Cupid Stunt

Potentially more an indictment on our CB's than a real compliment to Erik.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

No game time for him tonight.

10. The Greenman King of kings

Doubt he ever will with the players he's got starting ahead of him.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

He wasn't on the bench tonight shame for him.

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    He has improved no question about that, but i still wouldn't trust him with the keys to the Ferrari.

Just Kieran likes this.
  13. The Greenman King of kings

Aye I think even a place on the bench tonight would have increased his confidence even more which would only be a benefit for us.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Aye that's true.

15. HailHoopy

I'm not too bothered, it just means he's had more of a rest by the time he steps on the pitch at Tynecastle :shamrock:

And if he feels bad about being benched, he can just think of Simunovic and Sviatchenko who I'm sure would just love to make it into the national squad.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DB: This weekend is a very important game but we’ve been taking it one match at a time so we’ll treat this the same, hopefully we can win.

DB: I’ll be watching the Aberdeen game tonight but we don’t know what will happen. Sunday is our game and that’s what we’re focused on.

DB: A champion will always want to be a champion, it doesn’t matter when. I’ll watch the game tonight and we’ll see.

DB on his season so far: It’s been a satisfying time, I’d like to keep going to the end. It’s important for me to finish strongly.

DB: It was hard in the beginning but it feels good to be part of the team. I want to keep going and keep playing as well as I can.

DB: I’m enjoying this moment. There's no point in talking about the past, right now it feels like things are getting better.

DB: We’ll stay focused on the targets that we set at the start of the season even after we win the title.

DB: It’s important that we stay as focused as we were at the beginning of the season.

DEDRYCK Boyata is looking forward to Celtic’s impending title celebrations whenever they arrive, and he plans to savour every moment. The Hoops defender had a difficult start to the season following a spell on the treatment table, but he has made 12 appearances since the turn of the year and bagged two goals.

Celtic stand on the brink of setting a new club record for the best ever start to a domestic season if they can secure points at Tynecastle on Sunday and go 37 games unbeaten, beating the previous record that was set 100 years ago in season 1916/17.

A win would also mean Celtic are crowned Champions of Scotland, once again. However, Boyata knows that the team need to stay focused on the task at hand.

Speaking ahead of Sunday's trip to Tynecastle, he said: “This weekend will be a very important game but we’ve been taking it one game at a time the whole season.

“We’ll treat Hearts away the same and hopefully we can win the game. We know our job and we know what we need to do.”

The Hoops could potentially clinch their sixth successive league title without kicking a ball though, if Aberdeen lose to Dundee at Dens Park tonight, and Celtic's Belgian defender will be watching the game at home.

“We don’t know what will happen," he said. "Sunday is our game and that’s what we’re focused on. A champion will always want to be a champion - it doesn’t matter when it happens. I’ll watch the game tonight and we’ll see.

“Everyone enjoys the title. If we win this weekend I’ll enjoy it like I did last year. Even though I was injured when we won it last year I still enjoyed it. It’s a great achievement. It’s important for me, the team, the club and the fans to enjoy.”

The 26-year-old defender had only made one appearance for the Hoops this season ahead of the winter break but has since forced his way back into the team and he's determined to continue working hard to ensure he remains there.

“For me it’s been a satisfying time and I’d like to keep going to the end of the season," he said. "It’s important for me to finish strongly and play as well as I can.

“It was hard at the start of the season but it feels good to be part of the team. I want to keep going and I’m enjoying this moment - there’s no point talking about the past. We all know what happened in the beginning but right now it feels like things are getting better.

“I tried to stay positive, work hard and wait for my chance to play. I had to make sure I was ready if and when the chance came. I just worked hard, tried to stay fit so that I was ready for my moment.”

And as for the remainder of the campaign, Boyata says that the squad are determined to keep their impressive domestic form going.

“We’ll stay focused on the targets that we set at the start of the season even after we win the title," he said. "It’s important that we stay as focused as we were at the beginning of the season.”

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Keep putting the work in Boyata, and you can keep your place.

I agree with others, personally Erik and Jozo is my prefered partnership. But Boyata really has come on to a game this half of the season and deserves a lot of credit. Keep it up and that is 3 good CBs for next year. A problem area seems to be sorted. Of course we would all want the next level up, but I reckon these 3 are the sort who could stick around for a few years and we can be confident in the backline, not fearing someone is looking for the next step out of here.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. TheHappyLoss

Defence looked far more at ease with him and Jozo. First choices now

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member