1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedryck Boyata

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Boom Stick, May 31, 2015.

Discuss Dedryck Boyata in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. TheHappyLoss

Brendan really seems to know what this guy has been through, that's twice at Celtic park he's made a point of making sure he got some direct appreciation from the fans.

2. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Probably making sure that Debo knew we haven't turned on him after the OG. Probably killed his confidence a bit scoring an own goal after being on such a good run.

3. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    This boy is going to be really good you can see it with each game that passes. I had my doubts about him too but today he just carried himself much more confidently and didn't put a foot wrong. I didn't feel nervous about him at all.

4. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Today he looked the more experienced and confident defender and all round player than Erik, never thought I'd be saying that a few months ago.

5. BruceLeeBhoy

he has been great- think he unfairly got tarred by efe's brush

ChrisMoh likes this.
  6. joemc

He is a bit too slow to get things moving from the back , noticed it the last few games ,it felt as though it gave opposition time to get in their positions to close down runners ,I don't know how that will work out in cl games .

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Confidence. He's still 100% concentrating to make sure he doesn't efe it. That speed will increase with games.

8. joemc

Yeh I guess there is pressure not to mess up and be back to square 1, with getting * of the fans , but the good thing is he hasn't fekd up and has shown he is not a bad lad to have at set peices .

9. GlenLoovens'LusciousLocks

Fav Celtic Player:
    Loovens the legend
    First post on the site lads, been a long time lurker. Dedryck, for me, epitomizes Celtics turnaround this season. From someone who was near forgotten about to someone who has arguably been more assured than Sviatchenko. Granted, Celtic weren't as bad last season as some make out to be, but Brendan certainly has worked his magic, and I feel this is only the beginning.

ChrisMoh and Pablo87 like this.
  10. The67Sound

Welcome Loovens!

Derrick has looked a real player in all respects these last few weeks - long may it continue...

11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Fucksake Loovens, :84: sorry it's an old joke on here, welcome mate.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DB: "It's been a very interesting month or so. Everything's been well, so I'm enjoying it."

DB: "I think everybody can see the team has improved a lot compared to last season."

DB: "We are playing very well and understanding the game better."

DB: "I've been working very hard, I have a point to prove. I'm here, I want to stay here and keep playing."

DB: "Celtic is a very good club and very important for me. Playing here and playing games is great."

DB on unbeaten run: "We'll take it step by step. If we start looking too far it won't be positive. We'll see what happens."

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DEDRYCK BOYATA was born into and now lives in a place called the real world.

It's not somewhere everyone in his profession is wholly familiar with.

This is a man who came from nothing to make absolutely something of himself in football. Those who he grew up with in the poorer part of Brussels were not so lucky. The same can also be said of some would-be pros he met at Manchester City who didn’t make the grade.

This Celtic defender is enjoying an unexpected renaissance at the club and, when you speak to the articulate and likeable Boyata, it’s hard not to root for him. His feet are on the ground, his head miles below the clouds.

Boyata was so out of the picture at Celtic that many supporters would have felt he’d played his last game for the club. These were dark times for the 26-year-old Belgian; however; this is one footballer with a sense of perspective.

His girlfriend helped as the months went by without him being even close to the first-team. Kolo Toure, who has emerged as the most influential figure in the dressing room, kept telling his team-mate to be patient and that his time would come.

However, it is full credit for Boyata himself that he kept his head, worked hard in the gym into the early hours to make sure that when Brendan Rodgers gave him the nod, he would ready. Which he was.

And it also says a lot about his character that when things were bad, and no professional worth anything enjoys not playing, he knew that for all the frustration he felt, he was still one of the lucky ones.

“I can compare my situation with people I grew up with and my situation is totally different,” said Boyata. “My life is way better than theirs. I have friends who are not in football. But it’s maybe better to compare my life with others who were in football.

“I moved with a group of people to Manchester and while I wasn’t playing recently, I was in the national team, at Celtic and still in a stable position. I told myself there are others worse off in life than me.

"I told myself that if it doesn’t happen now it might happen later. I still have that chance and I’m still in a good position.

“There are people I went to City with who are not in football and are doing nothing. It’s a big difference. I have talked with players and we know that we have a good life in football. There are things around football that can help you not to think about difficulties.”

Boyata has had to work for everything. A lot harder than most. He came from poverty to get on the books at Manchester and for a non-English speaker the move to England was understandable far from simple.

But when you have a dream, you will do just about anything to pursue it.

“I don’t know what I would be doing if I didn’t play football,” Boyata admitted. "I started football late when I was 13. Why? Playing football meant you needed to pay for the equipment or whatever. My situation wasn’t the best when I was younger.

“My father used to play football in Belgium as well, but I just played for a community team and around school. That was it. Even growing up, I was playing for a team in the First Division for their Under-17s and 18s. I only had three evening sessions a week. But if I had too much homework then my father wouldn’t allow me to go and train.

“When I went to England, it seemed crazy. It was nothing like I expected. I remember speaking to my father and saying I wanted to go back home. It was training at 9.30am, lunch, weights at 1pm, another training session at 2.30pm and school at 5pm.

“You would get home at 7pm. And I was going to home to digs, where everyone spoke English. I was the only one speaking French. It was hard but there are no regrets. Today, I love my life. I feel blessed.”

15. ArminCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    One or two slack passes but rock solid today, yet again.

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Yeah i was just about to post the same, overall thought he was very good, also thought Gordon was excellent today with his distribution.

17. ArminCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    It really is incredible ,hes been nothing short of a=brilliant since he got his chance.He must be Brendan's first choice CB atm. Agree with Gordon as well ,he has been much better with dealing with crosses and ball distribution of late.

Swervedancer, ladbroke8 and The Prof like this.
  18. ladbroke8

Love Jozo and Svia as a partnership but Boyata has reached a similar level now. Great having 3 defenders playing so well

Swervedancer and Peej like this.
  19. Swervedancer Guest

It's brilliant, I'm not sure who's the best pairing now. I always liked Erik so I would say him and Boyata maybe but Jozo is really good too so it's hard to pick.

I love Brendan's ability to transform players who look to have lost their form and fill them with belief again.

Plus Lustig the last three games at least has come out with some beautiful touches of flair.

ladbroke8 likes this.
  20. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    * it. Play Erik, Jo, and DeBo as a back three, then we can put everyone else up front.

The67Sound and Captain Brown like this.