1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Yep, O'Neills legal education definitely came in handy!!

McChiellini.. likes this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That last bit's quality :56:

Who wouldn't be terrified :fear:

Same as what you've said about Martin. I'm sure I've heard a journalist actually say word for word that press were * scared of him as well due to his legal background..

You can't underestimate just how much of an advantage it is to have (particularly) 'our' media afraid to go too far or take the * with a manager that commands respect..

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Brendan is a very smart and beautiful human being.

He's a class above in every department.

Montero and Swervedancer like this.
  4. Swervedancer Guest

I agree that it's good Brendan isn't bringing the performance of the officials into the game. I think he just wants the team to concentrate on winning no matter what happens in a game and not to let any doubts about conspiracies enter their heads and make them frustrated and take their eye off the ball or affect their confidence as in 'it's no use, no matter what we do we're up against 12 men here'. Plus as mentioned already the media would just love an excuse to rip into him and the whole 'cheated never defeated' rubbish would surface.

He knows we're good enough to beat the ref anyway unless they start getting really blatant which will be interesting to see as we progress undefeated. I don't think it's in any ref's interest to be too blatant anyway these days with so much analysis. A couple of offside decisions could have cost us that game but we kept our heads up and knew we were the better team and proved it by playing football so good they couldn't take it away from us.

I always think it must've been much worse in Jock Stein's day when the officials I'm sure were much more blatant. That's why I'm amazed we won 9 in a row back then because it must've been tough going some games with the decisions but I've never heard of Stein or the players complaining.

In fact the only game I have read about Jock and the team going mental was the Atletico game and no wonder, even Scottish referees must've been looking at that thinking * * how is this ref getting way with officiating at this level?

Apparently it was the same when we played in the Intercontinental Cup 1967 against Racing Club when they were fouling non stop and in the second leg Simpson was struck by an object thrown by fans which left him so badly dazed he had to be replaced. Then in the 3rd deciding leg the refereeing was even worse with Racing's non stop fouling going unpunished.

I still don't know how those refs were allowed to officiate those games considering their performances before that must've been very poor too unless it was just a case of FIFA making sure we didn't win it. I mean when you think of what we were up against we still came close to winning it but it left a bad impression. I just think if it was Real Madrid the refs would never have gotten away with it. Just shows how good we were though that Racing Club had to resort to such tactics. Mind you I think South American teams used to have a terrible reputation for brutal football. It was also a Paraguayan referee which I think was a bad decision as the reputation there for corruption was terrible.

I remember Uruguay tried to kick us off the park in a World Cup 'Group of Death' match and they were one of the favourites too, was embarrassing how blatant they were, they had a player sent off in the first minute :eek1: Still, it threw us off our game as it's hard to play when you don't know if your legs are going to be snapped from behind you. We still got a draw out of it 0 - 0. I remember how great it was to see Denmark pump them 6 - 1. Denmark were amazing in that tournament, so sad when Spain (I think) humbled them 5 - 1. Scotland put up a good show in that group getting beat by 1 goal by both Germany and Denmark who were brilliant teams. Typical Scotland :55:

Anyway I went way on a tangent there sorry. I agree with Brendan's approach regarding officials.

Mind an interviewer tried to corner MON by asking him if he should ask the fans to stop singing sectarian songs and he replied 'you tell me, you obviously have an answer'. It was a great response to someone trying to catch him off guard with a rhetorical question.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2017
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN RODGERS has warned his Celtic stars he wants MORE in the second half of the season.

The Hoops boss has heaped praise on his side for their stunning start to the campaign.

Celtic are unbeaten in 24 domestic games and 19 points clear at the top of the Premiership table, but Rodgers is raising the bar and challenged his squad to keep up with his demands.

The players who can handle that will be part of his plans going forward but those who cannot will be thanked for their time and effort — and politely shown the door.

Rodgers said: “I feel that if I went back and reflected on the last six months of 2016, everything has gone really, really well.

“Going to Dubai was a chance to press the reset button and the message is very, very simple: We need MORE and we need to be BETTER.

“They are absolutely giving everything. The attitude and mental fitness is now strong.

“In pre-season I talked about reclaiming that working mentality, to work and to have this mindset that allows you to win games and win in the style that we want to win them.

“But we need to create more chances. My philosophy is non-negotiable: We attack. But we can defend better to allow us to attack more.

“So in Dubai we were talking about creating more pressure with speed, power and aggression in our game. We can create more chances through defending better in better moments, as a collective.

“Those are areas we have to work on tactically. Technically there is a level we can be better in but the players are ready, they are soaking it up in order to be the best they can be. That’s what you want.

“We will have strategies to guard against that complacency. I don’t think it’s in the mentality of the group now. That was something we nailed from the very first day. I don’t know, sometimes at big clubs, especially a club like Celtic, your talent can hide you in among other good players.

“You can be hidden and you can be protected a little bit, which means you don’t have to work quite so hard because your ability takes you there.

“No chance. If you’re not working here you will be out, regardless of your talent.

“I think I said it before a few months back — some players will struggle to keep up.

“Their talent is there but they can’t keep up with the demand. So your talent won’t be protected. You can be a good player but it’s not enough.

“If you want to be elite and you want to be the best then you have to align the work mentality with the talent. That means you push, every single game you play, and the next game is always the critical one.”

Any Celtic manager’s first job is to win the league title but Rodgers has ambitions and targets which focuses on success in Europe.

He added: “That’s the ambition. That’s where I want Celtic to be.

“We want to be qualifying for Champions League group stages and there is a certain demand, it doesn’t happen just by accident.

“You have to have talent but it has to be working talent. The ambition of course is beyond that. You have to work to that level every day.”

The mentality in Scotland is that just getting into the Champions League is a success story but Rodgers wants to change that mindset.

He added: “We’re not saying it’s easy to get there because it’s not.

“But you saw how we progressed in the Champions League. It’s as much a mindset as anything else. You have to take on the challenge and enjoy it and accept it.”

JML67 and HoopswithPride like this.
  6. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    This bit

"I don’t know, sometimes at big clubs – especially a club like Celtic – your talent can hide you in among other good players.

“You can be hidden and you can be protected a little bit which means you don’t have to work quite so hard because your ability takes you there. No chance.

“If you’re not working here you will be out, regardless of your talent. I think I said it before a few months back: some players will struggle to keep up."

Brilliant bit of advice for young players in general.

Mr Shelby and Liam Scales like this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That was Hugh Keevins that said that.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  8. joemc

i f#king love how he works,he is challenging the players to reach the next level and to do that against better players ,we need to be fitter and work harder than them to bridge the gap ,simplle.

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No shock reading that why Mulgrew and Stokes got punted and why Commons is out the picture.

HoopswithPride likes this.
  10. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I love his attitude to his work. We've just had a fantastic 6-7 month spell at the start of his reign, and he's demanding more. He wants the deadwood out, better players in and the ones we've already got to continue improving.

The trouble we've had in recent times is that the ambition of the board didn't always necessarily reflect the ambition of the manager. Lennon wasn't given assurances about improving the squad, and there was more than a hint of downsizing under Deila.

You just know Rodgers won't have that problem. The board showed their ambition in getting him in the first place, and Rodgers' reputation as a coach already gave him a certain amount of pull with the 'money men'.
    Fast forward to January and the fact the team is performing so well and the fans are 100% behind the manager, Rodgers position is now even stronger. The board have already delivered him one of his targets, and I don't expect we'll stop there.

It's certainly an exciting period for us.

Mr Shelby and Twisty like this.
  11. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    Did he mention anything more about incoming players in this transfer window?

12. joemc

and why would they ,he just bought moussa for half mill ,and 6 mnth on media talk is 20 mill plus,so they will be looking at every confident move in the transfer window as an investment ,at this moment i could see the board stretch a 8 million move if br asked .

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR on mid-season break: "Firstly, I would like to say well done to the governing bodies of sport in Scotland."

BR: "In England, coaches have been crying out for a mid-season break. This was my first experience of it and they should be applauded."

BR: "January can be a tough month financially so it's also been very important for the supporters."

BR: "For the players it's vitally important for them to get the chance to press the reset button. I can see the benefits of that now."

BR: "The players are looking very good and ready for the next half of the season."

BR: "Our squad is very strong so when we play a practice game here at Lennoxtown it's a very intense game."

BR: "We've been doing that regularly so we'll be ready for the game on Sunday."

BR on @kcommons15: "He's back training with us after a good loan spell out at @HibsOfficial."

BR on @Gary__11: "I've had a number of offers for Gary but he's not someone I would like to see leave."

BR on @kierantierney1: "Kieran being back fit is like having a new signing. He played in a practice game earlier and looked fantastic."

BR: "@kierantierney1 is fit for Sunday."

BR on Kouassi Eboue: "His visa has just been granted but he won't be available this weekend."

BR on signings: "Looking at one or two players but we'll see. If I don't make another signing I'm still very happy with the squad I have."

BR: "If the right player is available then we'll do it but if not we've got a strong squad to take us through to the end of the season."

BR on @ScottishFA Cup: "Wonderful history, great tradition and another competition we would like to do well in."

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  14. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    He say anything about incoming players Crow?

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

he's said before the club are working to get players in.

freederry20 likes this.
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Saint Brendan's press conference.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Got a semi reading that.

18. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths