1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Patrick Roberts!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by AJ Styles, Jan 24, 2016.

Discuss Patrick Roberts! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

There just comes a time when they have to make a decision. For the club and the player, if Pep has already made his mind up (like he done with Hart), then that'll be that.

As discussed previously, Roberts reported £12m fee was heavily instalment/incentive based. As he has played next to no football for City, earned no caps, it's likely that £8-10m from us plus future sell on will be a substantial profit. Any contractual instalments will be written off upon transfer of contract.

So not only would they gain, say, £15m (£10m from us £5m from a future £20m sale), but they also wouldn't have to pay a penny more to Fulham, which going from reports could still be as much as £10m outstanding.

But that's only if they have no interest in giving him a chance, of course.

Would imagine Guardiola will want to have a look at Roberts over the next 6-12 months. He seems like his type of player, but he has a lot of improving to do to become a regular at a side constantly striving for improvement and instant success.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I usually want to avoid loan deals but I would bite their hand off for another year from him.

This loan has made me think differently about loan deals. It wouldn't work out that differently from signing him and having him for 2 and a half years (initial 18 months plus the 12 months I want).

I can't see it happening but I didn't think it would be possible to get Rodgers.

3. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If its true that Celtic have put an offer in for him then he must be happy to stay at Celtic. Why bother to put a offer in for him if he has no intention of staying at Celtic. Rodgers would have asked the question to Roberts before the offer was made, otherwise it would just be wasting everyone's time. IF its true the offer has been made then its a very positive sign that Roberts would be willing to stay. He's a great player and entertainer, if theres any possibility of signing him then it should be done. Players like him dont come around often.

littlekennie likes this.
  4. Sween

As others have said, I cant see why Man City would sell at a loss. They spent a lot of money on the players and then shipped him off on loan where he did briliantly. It would be weird to then sell at a loss.

That said Guardiola wasnt around then and Roberts isnt going to get a game for City anytime soon. Im not sure how long he has leet on his contract but another one year seems like a sensible option. Celtic would be delighted as would the player, and if he can do the job in Europe it will only add to his value and his experience. If he does go back to City he will likely go straight back on loan- it is whether City would rather see him in a better league playing a better level of opposition this week.

But as Sanny says, I would snap their hand off for another loan deal.

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Why do people keep saying Man City won't sell at a loss see if the cover their initial £5m -£6m outlay I am sure they would be happy they did not pay £12m for paddy!

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

It's the English home grown rule that's the * here imo. They need so many in the squad, reason boyata was always being kept. Depending on English numbers could be the deciding factor down there. They don't give a * about ruining talents.

7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That's exactly the issue

8. jamesfr

Won't be a loss though with an initial £6.8 Million and 25% of possibly megabucks in a few seasons time

9. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Loss? They would still make money out of around a £7-8 million fee, the £12 million reported was addons which were heavily linked to appearances and trophies won whilst at City.

littlekennie likes this.
  10. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    *Tin Hat On*
    He should at least try to break into the City team. If he goes back and has preseason there and doesn't get in, he'll know we will always be interested.
    I'd love him to stay, but it would show a lack of ambition, especially with regards to getting into the England team, if he didn't even attempt to get into the city squad.

11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Gyp rosette is right and considering lawell son is in the backround at City then celtic will know the situation

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    If paddy is signed I think he will be even better next season guy is a genius with ball at his feet he is a quick thinker to go along with his talent I always said that about larsson he was great at making quick decision which resulted in goals

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

13. TimFloyd Gold Member

On one hand, you can't really blame him for wanting to have a crack at England with him being English I'm sure his dream was to be playing in the premier league.

However on the other hand he just needs to have a look at likes of Sinclair and Denayer to see what happens at the likes of City.

One thing he needs to think about is that if he decides to go back to England he can pretty much guarantee to kiss goodbye to standing on the pitch to a sold out stadium with the champions league music blaring out.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  14. gengar

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    heat of lisbon
    No need to get stuck on semantics - the point is the potential upside. Even if Manchester City has only paid the base £5m fee that was widely reported, they still don't have any incentive to sell if they believe Roberts will command a much higher fee in the future. Again, the only thing that will change things is if Roberts doesn't want to go out on loan again by staying with Man City.

Holding onto loads of low-risk, high-potential talent and loaning them all out is the PL way, especially to comply with FFP. Look at Chelsea's loan army, with nearly 40 players out on loan. They certainly don't need the money, and now that Man City is clear of FFP, they don't even need the money for that.

The one thing working in favor of a Roberts transfer out is the supposed clause in Roberts' contract that does not allow him to be loaned to a Championship side so long as Fulham is in the Championship. That will make keeping Roberts less attractive to Man City and the prospect of being loaned out less attractive to Roberts.

15. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Stuck on semantics, that you saying you were wrong then.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  17. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That hug from Lawwell probably included something along the lines of "forget that bald * Pep come and get some more of this"

charlietully and TheHappyLoss like this.
  18. gengar

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    heat of lisbon
    I'm saying that it doesn't matter what Man City paid for Roberts; it only matters what they think they can get for him in the future.

I don't think any of us can definitively say what Man City has paid so far for Roberts - especially not when media can't even seem to agree on the base transfer price, much less what the bonuses actually are.

19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Well it's not £12 million that's for sure.

20. TheHappyLoss

He's a * genius