1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome back Darren O'Dea

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ulsterscot, Sep 8, 2014.

Discuss Welcome back Darren O'Dea in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Darren O’Dea has left Motherwell to take up a coaching role with another Scottish Premiership side.

The club’s Under 18s manager, Darren arrived in May this year and has made a significant impact in his short time at Fir Park.

His successor has been appointed and will be announced shortly.

“It was an extremely tough decision to leave Motherwell as I have loved every minute of my short time at Fir Park,” said Darren.

“However, this was a big opportunity that presented itself unexpectedly and I felt I had to take the job.

“I want to thank Stephen Robinson and Steven Hammell, along with all the other coaches and support staff, as well as the board at Motherwell, for the opportunity and wish everyone at the club the very best going forward.”

‘Well boss Stephen Robinson added: “Whilst we were disappointed to lose Darren, he has conducted himself impeccably and we wish him well in his coaching career.

“The timing of the vacancy elsewhere wasn’t great from our point of view. But it couldn’t be helped, it was an offer he couldn’t refuse and we wish him well.”

Everyone at Motherwell FC would like to thank Darren for his hard work at the club, and we wish him all the very best for the future.

paulie67 likes this.
  2. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Don't understand why people aren't happy about this?

Being a basic player doesn't mean you are a bad coach. McManus and O'Dea came through our academy under the guidance of Tommy Burns and are now in positions to pass what they learned from him onto the next generation. That connection is important, and helping kids to have the right mentality to play at Celtic is just as important as having the technical ability.

3. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I don't have an opinion because I don't know what he actually offers. I hope they see something in him coaching wise..

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

paulie67 likes this.
  4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Meh.

Not against it, but like our transfer signings at times, would rather we went out and got somewhat proven coaches.

Darren is at the very start of his coaching career, he hasn't proven anything that he is capable of being a good coach for a supposed champions League (want to be) team.

We ain't ever going to sign coaches or players from juventus or the likes, but surely we can attract a half decent coach that already has some experience?

All the best to O'Dea though, always liked him as a player.
    Same goes for Mick, duff etc.

But it does seem like job for anyone Celtic related, regardless of proven talent in coaching.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

5. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    :50:Mick McCarthy the manager encourages his players to play a lot more football than Mick McCarthy the player ever attempted or was encouraged to do.

NomDePlum and Random Review like this.
  6. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

I’m a fan of recruiting Celtic minded people as coaches and developing them into potential future managers.

Promoting from within can help encourage development via potential career progression.

7. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Ye but if we are buying and developing underage talent it's imperative that we have top class coaches for these players. Maybe Darren odea is a top class underage coach or has the potential to he, I don't know

paulie67 likes this.
  8. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I like the idea that we have people who came through and were coached with oor Tommy, know the scottish game and
    have now returned to celtic.
    Plus, these guys should be fit and young enough, that they can still run about the park, to a certain extent.

I don't see any reason not to give him a chance, going by the high praise that motherwell gave him.

Jobs for the bhoys(nepotism exists), but is bs in football.
    If they we're good enough for celtic as a player in critical positions eg.defense, then why not.
    I'd rather have celtic born and bred youth coaches that will be here for the long haul than...

Welcome home Darren.!!

StPauli1916 likes this.
  9. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Possibly more to do with him always seeming to go out of his way to try and do our players when playing against us, rather than anything to do with his coaching ability.

10. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Liked him as a player, always committed. Motherwell thought well of him so I reckon he deserves a chance. Welcome back, Darren.

Tommy25, paulie67 and StPauli1916 like this.
  11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    As far as I can see, there really seems to be no correlation between how good you are as a player and how good you are as a coach. For every Guardiola, Koeman and Conte that shine at both, there's a ton like Klopp, Fergusson, Mourinho, Wenger, Stein who achieved nothing special (or in some cases nothing at all) in their playing careers.

I mean, who would you rather have as manager, Brendan Rodgers or John Barnes?

Tommy25, paulie67 and Dublin Celt like this.
  12. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Tony Mowbray.

paulie67 likes this.
  13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I really liked your Mick McCarthy example; but I think Mowbray isn't the best example, mate.

Mowbray was a decent player and IMHO he wasn't actually a terrible manager. A bit like Ronny, the job was just a bit too big for him. Certainly not an awful manager like Barnes or Brady IMO.

14. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I think we have our wires crossed RR. I was obviously being a bit daft,however I was answering your question on who I would rather have as a manager Rodgers or Barnes. I think Mowbray could be used in the original example instead of Mick as he was a no-nonsense centre back. I used to go and watch Boro as a kid really close to the pitch and Mowbray was a Colossus who took no prisoners.(Seeing how broken he looked at Love Street "that night" is one of the saddest things I have seen in football. However as a manager he obviously encourages players to play more football.:50:

Tommy25 and Random Review like this.
  15. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Ask strikers up and down the country and they'll probably tell you he did that to everyone.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  16. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Really think all going to plan Damien Duff is being lined us as our next manager

17. TheHappyLoss

Hope he doesn't kick * out our players like he did every time he played against us

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  18. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Do you think many of our fans watch Dundee play against other teams to see if that's the case? And even if it were, it's similar to hearing ex players not having a good word to say about us, it still winds people up.

19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ah, sorry, mate. Thought you were lumping him in with Barnes as a terrible manager. My misunderstanding. Yes, I totally agree with you.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Did you watch him play for us? He was always a hard as nails player that’d go through ball and man. Was one of the biggest reasons I was a fan of him.

Tommy25 and StPauli1916 like this.