1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Voting intentions in the 2015 UK GE

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 7, 2015.

Discuss Voting intentions in the 2015 UK GE in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Elephant Stone

This is where I'm torn. I don't like the SNP, and don't particularly want to vote for them; however, I do want independence. I may well end up voting for them purely on the basis of independence, because they are far and away the largest party supporting it.

In a hypothetical independent Scotland, what happens to the SNP? Since their sole purpose is independence, they should dissolve. I can't see that happening though. They're 10 times the size of any other Scottish party, and would surely have no challenge at all for control of Parliament. I don't like the idea of one party having absolute power.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they will give up power post-independence. I just don't trust them to do so.

The one thing that's certain is that Scotland desperately needs change. If the SNP can convince everyone that they can deliver it, they'll be guaranteed massive support in the general election.

2. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Ok you concentrate on the personality and let others worry about the policies , probably easier that way :50:

Naw you have not shown you are petty or condescending but I suppose 1 out of 3 isn't bad.

3. Dáibhí

Let's keep the personal insults out of it, eh? Cheers.

4. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Anyone watch the debate last night: Cameron v Milliband?

Miliband was terrible, truly woeful. He is a nice guy, sure. However, he's just a nerdy posh * - Paxman said he comes across as 'geeky' and a bit un-inspiring, tore him a new one. Hate Paxman aswell, so condescending but Milliband was digging his own hole.

Cameron however, you can tell he has been PM for the last 5 years - he's very prim, proper and well presented. He can dig himself out of sticky situation and uses spin quite well, very well practiced.

Honestly think its Camerons to lose - he managed to worm out of all the difficult questions with ease.

Paxman being a * brought up how Milliband would dance to Salmonds tune and once again made it out like Salmond was wanting everything for Scotland - brought up HS2 (the shambles that will cost the nation £50 billion+ and help only a handful of areas).

The media seem pretty certain SNP are going to sweep the nation, hopefully they are correct.

5. wulliebad

I don't understand why people worry so much about the snp,look at what london has done to the uk and look what the snp have done for Scotland...it really is night and day.
    They are doing a * good job in scotland trying to protect people from londons (bedroom tax) and welfare cuts when scotland budget gets cut year after year.

If the people of scotland do not want the snp running the country after indy then they will vote them out....simple.

The problem with england is you can vote for one * of a party or the other * of a party.

We dont need to be like that in a indy scotland.

6. JamesM09

As you say, you don't like the SNP but would vote for them because they support independence. There are many like you, which is why the SNP are large just now. In an independent Scotland, many of these supporters will no longer vote for the party, just like you.

I think the idea that they would have absolute power is quite ridiculous. Sure, they would probably lead for the first parliament after independence, but after that they will be kicked out if they do a poor job.

7. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
  8. Dáibhí

Wow? Why are you reacting like that? It's message is basically "vote Labour to keep the 'Tories out", the same as its been for the past twenty odd years.

9. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Seems liebour have decided the scare and negative tactics worked so well for them in the referendum, that they be as well continue to use them in the election :smiley-laughing002:

@voteliebourfornewideas

10. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    think you play the devils advocate on here far too much but hey ho your the expert .

11. Dáibhí

I'm the expert? It doesn't take an expert to see that the message Labour are pushing is "vote Labour to keep the 'Tories out", which they've been doing for as long as I can personally remember.

You disagree?

12. kevski82

I have no idea who I'm going to vote for.

Haven't voted Labour for about a decade. They've not done anything to bring me back.
    Can't stand the SNP, though that's softening with Sturgeon instead of Salmond.
    Voted Lib Dem last time and look how that turned out.
    Obviously not voting Tory.
    Dunno. Green? Their leader had a really poor interview but it was sort of refreshing to have a party leader who's not a 100% polished career politician.

I can see it being a minority government which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. In my opinion the best work the Scottish Government did was under a minority government.

13. wulliebad

Scotland has been voting labour since i was in * nappies and how often did we get tory.
    If this is the best message labour have for winning votes then they are truely * clueless.

The people of Scotland are speaking....they are moving to snp in their thousands and are now only 50k behind the mighty...oops i mean shity torys and then they will be the 2nd biggest supported party in the uk.

Shiteminster is very very lucky Scotland has such a small population or we would change politics in the uk forever.

14. Dáibhí

It's maybe worth pointing out that if you're referring to the terrible interview with the female Green party leader, she isn't the Scottish leader.

15. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    not got the debating skills to tackle you daibhi just chalk it up to a poor post, don't worry I,ll keep my neb out of here in the future .:50:

16. wulliebad

Its simple...if you like the uk just the way it is...vote...tory/labour/lib dems/greens....even ukip.

If you want change for scotland and the rest of the uk its snp,like or hate them its really that black and white.

17. kevski82

Yeah Patrick Harvie has been very impressive up here, but this is the UK election.

18. kevski82

That thinking has never sat well with me, practical or not. It's the same logic as Labour saying "Vote SNP get Tories". It might be true (if it wasn't for SNP then Labour would have an easy victory) but I'll vote for who I want, not vote tactically for someone else.

I'm just going to look at the actual candidates in my constituency (Glasgow Central) and see what they're saying. Hopefully there's some opportunity to meet them and actually hear them debate.

19. JamesM09

There was something different about that political video though. I can't tell what it was..

Wait, do you think that might have been a fake news report? :icon_mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  20. wulliebad

Its the truth labour/tory=another 300 years of the crap we have had for the last 300.
    You can't get away from the fact they are not going to vote to change anything when they have it so good while * the poor.

Its not really the same as vote snp get tory,because voting snp can lead somewhere,somewhere new.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015