1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Visting Estadio Nacional?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by SloBhoy, May 7, 2018.

Discuss Visting Estadio Nacional? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SloBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    I'm going to Lisbon for a couple of days later this week and I'm obviously gonna go try and see the Estadio Nacional while there.

Anyone been? Any tips on how to get it done best?

2. Easter Rd Davie Once a Celt, Always a Celt Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    In The Heat of Lisbon
    Haven’t been myself to Portugal, but my son & girlfriend went up to the stadium last year - nothing seemed to be open and/or happening until he mentioned “Celtic” :ynwaceltito the old bloke on the gate - upon which they were treated as long-lost family and given a wee tour of the stadium/pitch!!!
    The legacy of Jock Stein and the Lions remains large :champ:
    Have a great time:60:

Marty McFly and SloBhoy like this.
  3. SloBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Cheers. Will go take a look.

4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :56: well that’s an understatement.

You don’t just go and “take a look” at that stadium!! It’s a * pilgrimage mate! Treasure every second you are there and soak up the air of one of the most important places in the history of our club!

:party22:

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  5. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I was there a number of years ago, the first thing that surprised me was quite how far out of Lisbon it actually is, seems stuck away in a forest on the outskirts of the city, I got off at a station called Cruz Quebedra which I got from the central Lisbon station, was about a 15 minute walk, although I understand that’s changed now there was absolutely nothing there connected with Celtic or that famous night, the stadium was in poor condition and I just walked in through a gate that was opened and spent a good bit of time in the ground which was definitely a spiritual experience, particularly when I stood on the famous balcony where Caesar lifted the big cup, it seemed as if I knew the stadium intimately although I’d never visited it before now, clearly too many rewatches of the famous match instilled the stadiums characteristics in my head.

Was a memorable day in boiling heat and something every Celtic fan should do, Lisbon in general is a great place with a different feel to most other cities in Europe and I fully recommend anyone going there, especiallly if you can combine it with a Sporting game

Xatraps and Easter Rd Davie like this.
  6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Or a Celtic game ;)

I went in 2012 and had a kickabout on the pitch before we played Benfica.

7. SloBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Ended up a brilliant experience, on my birthday as well. They were setting the stadium up for the Portuguese Cup final, which is this weekend. We just walked in past the workers, no one gave us any bother or cared that we were there. Walked around the pitch, up the stands, everywhere really. Only on our way out did a security guard wave us over and almost apologetically told us the stadium was closed. At that point it didn't even matter as I saw everything I wanted to see.

8. Aidan O’Shea

Glad you enjoyed it, mate. What was Lisbon as a city like?

9. SloBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    It's a nice laid back town, people I came across were great. It was very crowded around the main tourist areas though, as I had the misfortune of visiting right as the Eurovision song contest was taking place. Booked the plane tickets without realising this and I only realised it once I started looking for a place to stay, prices were way up and not much was left available.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  10. Aidan O’Shea

Ah no luck! I’d like to visit the place.