1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Virgil van Dijk

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by DutchCelticFan, Jun 21, 2013.

Discuss Virgil van Dijk in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Our very own €100 million ex player. :lager:

2. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

They might have missed that game.

TheHappyLoss and WolfOfParkhead like this.
  3. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Was the ajax game at home for me when i thought he looked a bit special

4. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    [​IMG]

Some lassie on twitter! that's some bet!

pablo88 likes this.
  5. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Guy on the huddleboard had the 1st goal scorer from outside the box and a vvd header had a fiver on lucky sod

Jeannie960 likes this.
  6. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Seen someone had sig outside the box and vvd header. 200/1

Jeannie960 likes this.
  7. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Same bet mate 1005 rtn

Jeannie960 likes this.
  8. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Got this stuck in my head :giggle1:

9. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Still crazy how much Liverpool spent, was happy with the amount we sold for him at the time and thought if he had a good season in the Premier league he would be 30m max. In europe for us he always looked shaky and it continued with Southampton in the Europa League last year although he did have a great game against Inter at home.
    40 seconds in shows the kinda mistakes he would make for us in Europe, not forgetting getting the send off against inter in the second league for 2 yellow cards in the 36th minute. Could find many more examples of it, class in the league crap in europe.

In the premier league he rarely gets exposed to defending a 1v1 situation because Southampton usually play 5 in the midfield, will be interesting to see his performances in Europe with Liverpool due to how attacking the defence and midfielders play

10. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He should never have been sent off against Inter and more than once he was our best player in Europe

Random Review likes this.
  11. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them

1 min 16 in here gets out jumped by some poor gypsy.
    10 seconds in v Milan at home was marking no one- he had 2 good games in the 13/14 champions league against Ajax away and Barca at home out of 6, which is decent considering it was his first European experience. Pass

The year after he had a shocker against Legia Warsaw, 20 seconds in (on video) gets caught of position leads to a goal and then 3 mins in get's out jumped again for a header. . 1 min in against Maribor away doesn't track the guy who he was marking up, costs us a goal. . 1 great game against Reykjavik at home and away to them he was decent. 2 good games out of 5. Fail

His Europa League performances were a bit better but still inconsistent, first game against Salzburg him and Denayer were probably the worst on the park. Had a good game against Zagreb and Astra at home, but away to Astra he looked shaky. Then the next 3 games we conceded 9 goals against a average Salzburg side, had another shocker against Zagreb and conceding 3 goals at home to Inter wasn't exactly great but Gordon was to blame for 2 of them. Got sent off against Inter, both yellows should not have been given but after the first he should have been aware that the ref was an *. 2 good games in the Europa League with 1 ok game against Inter out of 8 games isn't exactly amazing. Fail

Van Dijks last European campaign was the qualifying stage and I thought he looked much more comfortable and solid in defence than past seasons in Europe, maybe down to the fact that the opposition wasn't as tough as the last qualifying campaign. Keeping Qarabag from scoring over two legs was impressive and Van Dijk wasn't letting anything past him. The home game against Malmo from what I can remember wasn't at fault for any of the goals but again away from home he got out jumped for the header and of course they scored from it. 53 seconds in.

I think it was Bitton who lost his marker but Van Dijk didn't even attack the ball coming straight to him. Second goal was shambles again, although by the full defence Mulgrew jumps for the ball, goes straight past him, then Van Dijk loses out on another header (surprise) and Boyata kicks it into our own net. Although crap against Malmo, he had 4/5 good games in the qualifiers. Pass. So overall imo he had 2/4 good European seasons with us, I get that he had a bunch of below average players playing beside him (ambrose, denayer) but he was at fault for quite a few of the goals that people seem to forget.

I couldn't remember one person on here saying we shouldn't take the money from Southampton, because at the time we knew that the 13m reported was a decent amount for a player who was walking it in the league most weeks, yet when it came to Europe he was so inconsistent. I think what they say about players becoming better in people's minds once they leave or don't play for a while is 100% true. Don't get me wrong, I would have him back in a heart beat but I think it is ridiculous that a club is willing to pay 75m for a player who hasn't proven himself in European competition. Good luck to him in the future anyway, hope to see him at Barcelona in 2-3 years time :50:

Ghotti Bhoy likes this.
  12. aliceinsound

as previous post says he was quite prone to slack defending, but he is still perhaps the most complete centre back I have seen. In that sense he was mabye a luxury player for us in europe, as we mabye needed no nonsense centre backs more.

Ive often wondered if he would be better as a defensive midfielder where he would have more protection for some slack defensive mistakes but still be utilised to get the ball out of defense, and also coming forward for corners.

celticfan01 likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Aidan O’Shea

Every time I look back at his highlights during his time here, I’m astonished at how much bigger he looks than everyone in the Scottish league.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He was prone to slackness but he was also younger and more inexperienced back then.

Posting videos from his debut against Karagandy 5 year ago for instance isn't exactly fair...he has changed a lot since then in every aspect of his game.

A lot of it was down to what was around him and tbh Deila's tactics in Europe would have made Baresi look average at times. The one season he had with Lennon was a pretty pish CL campaign where the squad was on decline and need freshening.

£13.5m was a bargain. CB's like him are one in a million.

Random Review likes this.
  16. Murph-E

Imagine making a montage of Henrik's penalty misses and one-on-ones he didn't score.

One of Europe's elite was here for 2 years, he'll go on to be one of the biggest names in the game and he'll always be a Celtic man :50:

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  18. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    He’ll be back next season

19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

He certainly will.......................................................the fat * ! :67:

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You could build a brick wall in front of their goal, Klopps Liverpool will forever be high scorers and high conceders.

It’s how they play.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.