1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Virgil van Dijk

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by DutchCelticFan, Jun 21, 2013.

Discuss Virgil van Dijk in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

All players have bad days

Swervedancer likes this.
  2. Swervedancer Guest

So true, it was just in all the time he was with us I never seen him make two mistakes like that and while he's been in the EPL I've seen him a few times and he's always been just like he was here, cruise control.

Only player who I can think probably didn't have a bad day is Billy McNeil.

Don't think I've seen Tierney have one yet but he's still young.

Maldini

I can only think of defenders.

Xavi?

3. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

All of these players will have had bad matches tho. Even McNeill, Maldini etc. *, Xavi had a bad game against us.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    First time he's been below par for a while.

5. Swervedancer Guest

Oh aye, Xavi's assist to Watt :biggrin: I read big Billy was meant to be really consistent and scored a lot of late goals he was that fit. I'm no arguing there's a player never had a bad game though. Just kinda wondering who would've been close. But it's the Virgil thread so I best not go off topic. I really want to see him at a top team playing his classy game. Not cause we'll get a decent player fee out of it but for him, I think he deserves it.

6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Virgil is the best defender I've seen at Parkhead (In my lifetime). That's how highly I rate him. He oozes quality

Just Kieran and Swervedancer like this.
  7. Swervedancer Guest

Might be before your day but wonder what anyone thinks of Virgil v Paul Elliot or Bobo Balde? Virgil is definitely better going forward than both of them.

8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

I can see flashes of big Elliott in Virgil, especially going up for the ball and going for corners.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Yeah I'd agree with this. He could go on to play for any team in the world and not look out of place.

Swervedancer likes this.
  10. Swervedancer Guest

You know that's exactly what I was thinking even though I don't remember Elliot with great clarity. Virgil's ability to clear balls into the box with his is the best I've seen in any defender anywhere. I'm no football expert though but you know sometimes a certain element of someone's game will catch your eye and then you'll look out for it, just remember watching him reading people's crosses and corners and thought it was bizarre he would always manage to be in the right place no matter the starting position.

Probably an Italian from the 50s or 60s was better but I wouldn't know.

Now of course someone will come on and say Elliot or someone else who played for us was better at clearing headers o_O

11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Some loon balls on since the game at * pit was coming up. But aye, I'm with you on the Elliott thing. Big lad was ahead of his time for the British game. Probably more cultured due to playing in Italy. And I would call
    Van D a cultured centre back.

Swervedancer likes this.
  12. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    They are creaming themselves over his transfer on SSN. Getting better praise than John Stones.

13. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Being quoted at 60M.

Given how inflated the system is in the EPL, I wouldn't be surprised if he did move for stupid money.

Be nice for as we'll be due 10% but it goes to show that we were * robbed in the first place.

14. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    think the bigger teams might start coming straight to us with big money bids.with the success of wanyama,van dijk,forster.

never thought id see the day a former celtic player would be going for 60 million :56:.aye and were due 5-6 million lol.thats a seasons transfer budget.

15. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Imagine us getting a £60m bid in for a player, there would be huns jumping off every bridge in Scotland :giggle1:

16. tollyfarmer

Obviously very talented footballer but he's not a defender like Alderweireld and Vertonghen are, he'd be better at Man City than Chelsea were he'll be allowed to express all of his qualities.

17. tollyfarmer

18. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    If Chealsea/Man city etc had come to us direct and bought VVD we wouldn't have got much more, if anymore, as we would have sold at pretty much that level. It benefits us to sell to a smaller club and then have a sell on clause imo, although that might become harder for Pete to get accepted in the future but that might mean we get more initially I guess.

19. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

60M, that's * nuts for a guy we bought for 2M just 2 1/2 years ago. Good fit for any of the top teams in the premier league, Conte really needs a defender like Van Dijk as does Pep. Could see a bidding war, will only go through if the big man wants to go but.

20. Seosamh Máirtín

Normally wouldn't like to see a top player go to Chelsea, especially one associated with us, but they're a good side at the moment and I fancy them to win the league. Virgil is a born champion, as well, so he'll be a good fit at the club in the current climate.