1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Views on abortion?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Apr 17, 2017.

Discuss Views on abortion? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

You never answered the first part of my question.

The simple facts are you started off life as - what you calmly describe - as an embryo. If you - embryo - were aborted, then you wouldn't be here right now typing away......same as me.

I find it incredibly hard to believe (without taking the view of science OR religion), that your life just suddenly came into existence at 24 weeks into pregnancy.

Somecunt just flick a switch or something????

2. Bumblebee

The part about Trump? I assumed that was a joke and I laughed at that :giggle1:

I wouldn't be here no well observed :86:

I think from what I have read and just from forming my own opinion is that we aren't alive until the brain is fully formed and sending and receiving information all around the body. The brain fully formed is just that like you said the light being switched on that's why when we die we cease to exist because the brain has shut down.

Scientists are now talking about downloading memories from the brain into a computer to preserve us or a person. Obviously it's just something that has been brought up for discussion at the moment but from what I gather that will be the way forward for life after death.

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm firmly in the, it's entirely up to the women camp. But I also think if a woman wants to keep the child but a father doesn't want to keep it he can legally sign the child over so the mother can't chase him up for any payments.

Always find it weird how aggressive some men that are 'pro life' get though :giggle1:

Bumblebee likes this.
  4. The Regime

Fav Celtic Player:
    Eyal Berkovic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields
    I believe it's down to the individual circumstances. And usually the should decide given those circumstances.

This whole "women's body; women's choice" argument is horse * and completely detached from reality.

I have been with my gf for 8 years. It would be completely selfish of me, and unthinking, to let my gf make a decision like that alone. It's a hard decision and everyone should have some level of consultation with a trusted friend. A boyfriend, who has contributed in a respectful relationship, has the right to know and be consulted and have his opinion heard.

This whole argument that "science tells us that it's noun after 24 weeks that it's human." Is a load of *. They have no eating possibly determining consciousness. They don't know how to determine consciousness in People alive and walking around every day. How do you measure consciousness?

In fact, within the context of the science vs religion debate, birth is one of the subjects where they agree. When a women falls pregnant that embryo is completely unique. It could never be replicated. The odds of you, as you are, your eyes, your height, your personality, your strengths, and the things that will eventually kill you are completely singular. The odds of that one sperm, the infinite combinations of gene code, and the environmental factors, are trillions to one. You are a miracle. That is the miracle of life. While people will come and go and share traits, there will never be another person ever like you ever again. It's statistically impossible. I feel a bit trepid about stopping that train in motion. And the idea that none of this takes place before an arbitrary figure such as 24 weeks is ludicrous.

Pablo87 likes this.
  5. Sydneysider

Have you seen a foetus at 24 weeks ?

6. The Regime

Fav Celtic Player:
    Eyal Berkovic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields
    It's * awful. I heard someone say "but we suffer, and more importantly they suffer!Therefore it's for the best!" I'd rather be alive than suffer than never existed at all!! These people use suffering as an excuse to enact all sorts of despicable decree.

Nasser and Pablo87 like this.
  7. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

abortions for everyone!

8. Bumblebee

You'd need to read back a bit mate I was following on from my before the 12th week comment which is still just cells forming.

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Ultimately it is the women's decision and her decision alone.

Don't think anyone's saying the other person shouldn't be told about it. But to me, the way you're talking with this "it'd be completely selfish of me to let her make that decision alone" stuff is as if she'd need your permission or your blessing to go have an abortion.

At the end of the day the mother should tell the other person involved but the idea that the guy could somehow block the abortion is * up.

Bumblebee likes this.
  10. Bumblebee

Bill Nye utterly destroys the anti abortionists in this video.

Valhalla likes this.
  11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Sums it up for me. And you can see his frustration coming through at the arguments and how it always seems be men telling women what they should be allowed to do with their bodies.

Bumblebee likes this.
  12. Bumblebee

Totally man. I liked the part too which I had never thought of when he said "she doesn't want anything to do with your genes get over it" That is just another of the many totally acceptable reasons for an abortion.

Valhalla likes this.
  13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye. I get the feeling for some men it's not about the baby, it's about controlling the women.

"What about me?" What about it. If you care about kids that much go and adopt one out of care.

Bumblebee likes this.
  14. Sween

I think the issue of 'is it moral/acceptable' should be separated from the 'should it be legal' question.

I strongly believe abortion is immoral in the vast majority of cases and i think it is a sad example of our disposable society that people can think it is ok. And I dont think pointing to extreme cases holds much value in any argument otherwise. That is, I think most would agree that killing a child or people in general is immoral even if there are extreme examples of when it may not be.

But I also think banning it creates a lot of problems so Im probably not for banning abortion. I just dont think it should be encouraged and I dont think it is right.

15. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The bolded part.
    What a lot of *.
    Our society doesn't allow single men to adopt unless very rich.
    Single guy trying to adopt. Sounds dodgy. Might be a paedophile. daren't risk it.

16. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If the person that is to die chooses that themselves and are mentally capable of understanding the consequences, then they should have the right as long as they are euthanized in a properly done medical way such as in Dignitas.
    The difference to abortion is the "future baby" doesn't have that choice.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yeah I'm aware of the difference, I was just interested in whether or not people think humans have a right to end a life.

Drakhan likes this.
  18. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    A compus mentus person who wants to end their own life for whatever reason is very different to a mother killing her unborn child.

Drakhan and Sween like this.
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I know.

Drakhan likes this.
  20. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    After doing a wee bit of reading on it I think abortion should be limited to 12 weeks after conception. In the UK a woman can have an abortion at 24 weeks, that's far far too late.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.