1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Victor Wanyama

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Jayzhinho67, Oct 25, 2012.

Discuss Victor Wanyama in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Not working is it.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  2. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He's not that kind of player, was bought as a Demebele replacement. Ball carrier to get them up the pitch from central midfield.

Officer Doofy and Valhalla like this.
  3. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    He can both destroy and create that’s what he was known for at Lyon, I agree Dembele needed replaced though he was total box to box. And for all Poch’s knowledge it doesn’t look as if he knows how to use Ndombele right yet or his best midfield either.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Spurs fans have been saying for a while that Wanyama’s majorly regressed. Injuries have had a big impact on his fitness and mobility.

It was pretty clear in the CL run last season when he came on.

5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He’s the type of player who needs to play regularly tho and he’s not getting that at Spurs..

He would immediately improve our squad.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Kenyan national team captain has appeared in more than 150 Premier League games

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact announced on Tuesday that the club has come to terms with Kenyan international midfielder and team captain Victor Wanyama as a Designated Player, following a free transfer with English club Tottenham Hotspur FC. He signed a three-year contract with the club. He will join the club upon receiving his international transfer certificate and passing his medical.

“Victor is an important player with a great career,” said Sporting Director Olivier Renard. “His undeniable experience will also help support the young players and help them progress.”

“I’m really happy to join an exciting club like the Montreal Impact,” said the new Impact Designated Player, Victor Wanyama. “MLS continues to grow every season and I’m looking forward to bringing further awareness to this team, city and league across Africa. When I spoke to Thierry and he told me he wanted me to join him in Montreal, I didn’t have to think twice. He has always been a player that I’ve admired, and I am really happy to get the opportunity to work with him and to play a part that can ensure that the Montreal Impact have an improved season and hopefully reach the ultimate stages of the competitions in which we compete. I think the Saputo family and the management team in Montreal have a great plan in place and I am hoping I can make a great contribution to the success of this project.”

“When I spoke with Thierry Henry and he told me he wanted me to join him in Montreal, I didn’t have to think twice. He has always been a player that I’ve admired, and I am really happy to get the opportunity to work with him and to play a part that can ensure that the Montreal Impact have an improved season and hopefully reach the ultimate stages of the competitions in which we compete.”

“I think the Saputo family and the management team in Montreal have a great plan in place and I am hoping I can make a great contribution to the success of this project.”

Wanyama, 28, joins the Impact after playing four seasons with English club Tottenham Hotspur FC, where he registered six goals and one assist in 69 regular season games, including 47 starts, and 4,385 minutes. He was part of the team that reached the 2018-19 UEFA Champions League Final, appearing in five games in the knockout stage, starting three, against Borussia Dortmund, Manchester City and Ajax. He was dressed but not used in the final against Liverpool, last June 1, 2019. He played in 13 UEFA Champions League games, two Europa League games, nine FA Cup games and four EFL Cup games with the Spurs. He won the Premier League Goal of the Month for February 2018, following a stunning strike against Liverpool.

He previously made his English debut with Southampton F.C. in 2013, becoming the first Kenyan player to appear in the EPL. In three seasons with the Saints, he recorded four goals and two assists in 85 Premier League games, including 74 starts, and 6,515 minutes. He also took part in three Europa League qualification games, three FA Cup games and six EFL Cup games.

Before joining the English Premier League, Wanyama played two seasons with Celtic FC, helping the mythical club win two Scottish Premier League titles in 2011-12 and 2012-13, and a Scottish Cup in 2013. He was also named the SPL Young Player of the Year following the 2012-13 season. He tallied 10 goals and seven assists in 61 regular season games, including 55 starts, and 4,911 minutes, while appearing in seven UEFA Champions League games, five Europa League games, nine Scottish Cup games and six Scottish League Cup games.

Between 2008 and 2011, Wanyama played with Beerschot AC in the Belgium Jupiler Pro League, appearing in 41 regular season games, eight playoff games and five Belgium Cup games.

He started his career with Kenyan clubs Nairobi City Stars and AFC Leopards in the Kenyan Premier League in 2006 and 2007, before joining Swedish club Helsingborgs IF U21 team.

At the international level, Wanyama has scored seven goals in 56 games with the Kenyan national team, repeatedly wearing the captain’s armband since 2012. He made his senior debut in 2007 at 15 years old. He started three games in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations and has appeared in several World Cup and AFCON qualification games throughout his career.

Transaction: The Montreal Impact has come to terms with midfielder Victor Wanyama as a Designated Player, following a free transfer from English club Tottenham Hotspur FC. He signed a three-year contract with the club.

VICTOR WANYAMA
    Position: Midfielder
    Height: 6’2”
    Weight: 176 lbs
    Birthdate and birthplace: June 25, 1991, in Nairobi, Kenya
    Citizenship: Kenya
    Last club: Tottenham Hotspur FC (England)
    Date acquired: March 3, 2020 

tarboltontim likes this.
  7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Free transfer * *!

hope he does well!

BrisbaneBhoy and Rydo1888* like this.
  8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Heart Breaking.

Three year deal too.

9. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

To be fair I think we probably dodged a bullet. I reckon he's probably crocked.

10. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    In French-speaking Montreal, that just means he's crunchy.

Twisty likes this.
  11. StevieBhoooy!

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

VICTOR WANYAMA insists he has 'unfinished business' at Celtic - and would LOVE to return one day.

The Kenyan powerhouse was heavily linked with a move back to Parkhead throughout January.

But the 28-year-old linked up with Thierry Henry by joining MLS side Montreal Impact from Spurs.

Wanyama remains a huge favourite with Hoops fans after his successful two year stint at Parkhead.

The bargain £900,000 signing from Germinal Beerschot netted Celts a record £12million transfer fee when he signed for Southampton in 2013.

But seven years on from leaving Glasgow, Wanyama admits he dreams of playing for the Scottish champions again.

He told the Athletic: “They need to let you grow and achieve what you want.

"But I want to play for Celtic again before I finish. I have unfinished business there. I love that club.”

Meanwhile Wanyama explained how he was pictured holding two Rangers tombstone signs outside Celtic Park.

The midfielder was caught up in the Ibrox club's financial meltdown when snaps of him parading the signs were uploaded on social media.

One read, “RIP Rangers 1872 — 2012” while the other said “Bye Bye Rangers”.

At the time, Wanyama insisted they were fake. But now he has come clean as to exactly what happened.

He revealed: “I came out of the stadium after one game and my car was not there. Fans came to me and asked for pictures.

"They asked me to hold some boards for the pictures. I did not look at them before I held them up.

“I saw the pictures the next day and the boards I were holding had ‘RIP Rangers’ and ‘Bye Bye Rangers’ on them.

"As you can imagine I was the enemy number one of the Rangers fans after that.”

Wanyama scored on the night Celtic celebrated their 125th anniversary by famously beating Barcelona in the Champions League.

And he lifted the lid on the dressing room party afterwards - which included a surprise appearance from an emotional Rod Stewart!

He added: "Celtic had not played much in the Champions League when I arrived.

"I wanted to help try and make them great again in Europe, like they were in 1967.

"We really believed that we could achieve anything there, and we did.

"We beat Barcelona 2-1. Neil Lennon told us that we could win and he was right. He was a brilliant motivator.

Our set-pieces were always well planned and effective. We needed them because we knew Barcelona would have possession.

"I scored our first goal and I’ve never experienced such a celebration of fans in my life.

"I felt they were all rushing towards me and ready to fall on me.

"The support was so strong that I felt I had the strength and power of three players. Really.

"The singer Rod Stewart came in the dressing room afterwards. He had been crying with emotion.”

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Montreal Impact midfielder Victor Wanyama has revealed just how close he was to returning to Celtic – only for Tottenham to block the move.

The Kenyan spent two seasons at Celtic Park before a big money move to Southampton, and was heavily linked with a return in January after he fell out of favour at Tottenham.

Manager Neil Lennon admitted he would be keen to bring the 28-year-old back, but the transfer window closed before a deal could be done.

The midfielder moved to MLS instead, but he has confirmed he was keen to return to Glasgow.

Wanyama told Madgoat TV: "It was sad the way they were treating me. I had given my all to the club. I loved the club and had a good relationship with the fans and the players so I wanted to leave the club to at least enjoy football again.

They started to delay a lot of things, even Celtic among many other teams wanted to sign me but the club was taking me on rounds until the deals collapse, and the transfer windows close.

"I spoke with my agent and he told me the MLS transfer window was still open and there were teams that are interested in my services. I can go there and at least get my passion for the game back on track and you never know one day I might move somewhere else."

Wanyama rejected a move to CSKA Moscow to join Celtic in 2011, and he has no regrets about turning down a huge salary.

He said: "At Celtic, I felt happier as this was a world stage for me. It is morale that we had at Celtic and the coach gave us inspiration every now and then which was really good for me and the team.

It is not that we had superstars but the spirit and inspiration worked for us marvellously and given the fact we were talented we just enjoyed our moments on the pitch.

"The atmosphere at Celtic Park is always something else and the fans are marvellous I have never seen such fans who love their team like Celtic."

14. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Would take him back in a heart beat if hes anywhere near fit.

15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He’s dying to come back.

Artorias likes this.
  16. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Nah, think that last one was the final chance, don't want a top. Up pension to a 30 plus year old who's had injury issues.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Celtic Bhoys had the opportunity to sit down with Celtic fan favourite Victor Wanyama this week. Here is what he had to say.

One of the best Celtic players to walk through the gates of Paradise in recent times was Victor Wanyama. The Kenyan-born player quickly became a superstar at the club and still remains a fan favourite to this day. Fortunately for The Celtic Bhoys, Wanyama was able to sit down and do an interview with us during these confusing times.

We asked the star everything from what his favourite moment was with the club to whether or not he would ever return. Here is what he had to say:

The Celtic Bhoys: What are some of your favourite memories while playing for Celtic? This can be anything that comes to mind and doesn’t have to be a moment on the pitch.

Victor Wanyama: The Champions League nights at Celtic Park was just incredible, and winning trophies with Celtic was also immense.

TCB: How do you feel your time at Celtic helped prepare you for the rest of your career?

VW: Featuring in the games in the Champions League gave me opportunity to rub shoulders with the best, and also the league was very tough, it taught me a lot.

TCB: What was the jump from Scottish football to the English Premier League like?

VW: The transition wasn’t that easy. But once you settle in then it gets easier. Also, moving away from the club that I loved wasn’t that easy.

TCB: Who were some of the most talented players you got to share the field with during your time with the Hoops?

VW: There was a lot of talented players all over the club, Broony, Forrest, Paddy, Ki, Beram, Emilio, Ledley, Gary, Commons, Fraser, Mulgrew, Samaras, Stokes, Watt I could go on and on. We had a lot of talented, hard working players!

TCB: I’m sure you’ve been asked this 100 times, but what did it feel like to score and ultimately win against Barcelona in 2012? Where does that rank in your career milestones?

VW: It felt so good not just scoring, but scoring in the Champion’s League in a night against Barca at Celtic Park in front of our fans was amazing. I can’t really put it into words, it was the best feeling ever.

TCB: What was your toughest, or most trying moment during your time with Celtic?

When we got knocked out of the last 16 in the Champions League. I wanted to continue and write our own story with our generation during that time.

TCB: What does it mean to you to be the first Kenyan to ever play in the English Premier League? What type of influence does that have on the kids back home?

It means a lot to me. I will always see it as opening way for other Kenyan players to follow. It has influenced a lot of young players to see their fellow Kenyan did it and they can also do it. Their dreams is to follow my footsteps and one day it will happen with *’s time

TCB: Finally, would you ever consider a move back to the Hoops later in your career?

Listen, one day if I get the opportunity, I will never say no to Celtic.

18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

* spewing we’ve not made that happen.

If he stays injury free in the MLS I’ve not doubts we will get him on loan when their season ends.

19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

In fact forget I said that, because at this rate our seasons will be running along side each other.

20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    We tried to sign him in January