1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vegans and vegetarians

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Jozo The Provo, Oct 30, 2015.

Discuss Vegans and vegetarians in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Maybe the only meat Veggies get,is up their *!

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Just read the most idiotic thing I've seen in a while.

"Suppose there are only two people in the US: one regular meat-eater who eats 100 animals each year and one vegetarian who eats no animals. A reasonable conclusion is that the vegetarian saves 100 animals per year."

A reasonable conclusion?

Do they actually believe that they save animals when they don't eat meat? Guess what veggies... The animal still gets killed and someone else eats it. FFS.

I have nothing against vegetarians or vegans that choose that lifestyle. But don't talk utter * and spout it across the internet or social media.

3. Sween

In not a veggie but I respect the idea. Given the way we produce most meat I also think it is a pretty sensible lifestyle choice.

Markybhoy and Mince.Charming like this.
  4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Don't know about sensible. But I respect it for the same reason as you. I also respect people that hunt their own meat.

Doogs. likes this.
  5. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

The argument of "Someone else eats it", isn't the right one IMO.

A million people in a nation of 5 million, for whatever reason, decided to stop eating meat = Less meat consumed than previous. There isn't a million folk around for 'someone else to eat it'.

In the short term there would be no 'saving'. Meat would go to waste, animals slaughtered at usual rates until the suppliers worked out the new demand numbers.

But long term once the supermarkets, farmers, butchers sorted out the supply and demand we would just see less breeding.

So rather than 'saving' it would be breeding and killing less, in turn less animals die but less animals live. Is that really saving?

That vegan ideology is more suited to the game or fishing (non-farmed) industries, in which it's 100% correct. Finning in particular, shark stocks would rise hugely if Asia, and the world, stopped the cruel demand for shark fin soup.

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

But it would have to be huge numbers like that to make a difference. A million people suddenly changing their ways. Maybe not as many as a million, but a lot.

It's this narcissistic attitude that some people have, more extreme vegans than your standard vegetarian, that they themselves are saving multiple animals because they chose not to eat meat anymore. It's madness. It's attention seeking.

Not sure what you mean by saying it's more suited to game or fishing. Because they are not out shooting or fishing?

7. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

To make a difference to the industry, yes.

One person is an insignificant difference, but combined they are the huge movement that we see today. As with carbon footprints, every single person can make a difference when consolidated with others efforts.

In the sense that if we stopped commercial fishing/game hunting we would see fish/game stocks rise dramatically, thus 'saving' life's, as your vego in the OP alludes to.

And as I said, life's aren't really being saved if half the world became vegan, we just wouldn't see half the farmed animals bred and slaughtered. You can't save what was never born.

I'm not saying I'm against fishing/game hunting, I'm not.

I'm saying that that's the only way the 'saving lifes' vegan chat is, in essence, true. Wild animals can be saved, whilst farmed really can't as in the long term breeding would just be reduced to match supply and demand.

8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

The industry is disgusting and one vegan trying to make changes to stop the way things are done is commendable, but not claiming they are the savoir to hundreds of animals as they sit writing their blog or posting on instagram.

I think anyone who's against fishing or game hunting for food is daft. Humans have done it since the beginning of time. As long as the kill is done properly and every part of the animal is utilised. Numbers of some animals needs to be controlled at times, so doing it all properly and wasting nothing is important. I don't think vegans can argue with that just because it's upsetting seeing a living thing die.

9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

why not sensible?

10. El Dorado

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    It's a healthier diet. I'm a vegan in principle, but it's difficult to completely avoid animal ingredients in our culture. I started to go more towards vegetarian in middle age. Meat takes a lot of energy to digest. Easier for younger bodies than older. There is also the potential link between red meat and cancer, sugar and cancer, alcohol and cancer, all of which has more to do with over consuming probably than in consuming in the first place. I just find that eating moderately of a plant-based diet leaves me with more energy and a less fouled digestive track.

Zander likes this.
  11. Sween

I think it is perfectly sensible given the amount of crap pumped into meat products. Most people (myself included) are extremely lazy regarding what we put in our bodies through food. And meat products are typically the worst offenders as regards adding a whole lot of crap that shouldnt be in there.

If I had more discipline and didn't love meat as much as I do, I would be a veggie.

Zander likes this.
  12. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

But it doesn't mean meat eaters are not sensible. Especially if it's properly sourced.

13. Minimalist

Used to be Vegan, now a Paleo after researching * up.

14. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    My son's girlfriend is a vegan, I don't know too much about it other than they don't eat food that contains any animal product.

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Life is too short.

16. hairytoes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ceasar, Maestro, Lubo, Henrik, Naka, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's not just food, they won't use any animal based product: wool, leather, makeup, perfume, clothes, furniture, medicines...

17. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Offt, I best get her a different Christmas present then, really should read up on it.

18. hairytoes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ceasar, Maestro, Lubo, Henrik, Naka, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Thought that might be the case lol.
    I actually sometimes think, they quite enjoy people getting things wrong about it - so they can act all high & mighty.
    I'm sure she's not like that, but my sister is!!

Did you get her a Bambi skin handbag, or perfume with whale vomit in it?
    I know a "Vegan" who has a massive leather sofa & wears leather shoes, occasionally eats chicken etc... but it's pretty hip to be "Vegan".

19. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I got her a leather bag and toiletries but didn't check the toiletries to see I'd they were vegan.
    I haven't met her yet, although they've been together since Aug but she anorexic and has been hospitalised the past while where hopefully she'll be able to overcome her eating disorder....so I was kinda limited as to what to buy as I can't get chocolates or clothing...Probably best getting Stephen to buy her a gift from me, he'll know what she likes.

20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Getting really wound up by a number of Vegans on social media and one I know personally. Sharing facts, pictures, videos, some of which are utter bullshit.

Like one guy claiming that consuming any animal product is exploitation and therefore abuse. Yes, I agree that animals are expoilted and abused in the food industry... but eating eggs from the chicken out the back of the house isn't expoiltatio or abuse. It's possible to eat animal products without the mistreatment of the animals. I'd love to have my own animals to get milk, eggs. I'd love to hunt my own meat and prepare it myself.

He also says if you care about animals then you have an obligation to be vegan. Don't start preaching like that, that's when I stop listening.