1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

VAR

Discussion in 'World Football' started by StPauli1916, Jan 6, 2018.

Discuss VAR in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    What are folks thoughts on this then before they trial it in the English FA Cup on Monday.

I'm fairly neutral on this * stupid idea. However I would be interested to hear what other people see as the pro's and cons.

Hopefully we can keep this thread to review games where this is used.

Playing Devil's advocate I'll have a look at the cons.

- It is not the same as goal line technology where it is yes or no whether the ball has crossed the line. It will be used to judge whether there were any fouls on the way to a goal so fouls by forwards or defenders which are not cut and dry and are still up for debate.
    - The moment of scoring a goal is what football is all about and everyone standing around for 2-3 minutes to see if it is a goal ruins it and makes it a different game
    - It penalises the attacking team as the way it has being employed so far is to check and see whether goals should be given or not. So if there is an infringement on the way to the ball crossing the line by an attacker it will be punished. However if a defender commits a foul that isn't spotted by the ref and the ball does not cross the line it probably won't be punished.
    -The claim is it will stop players surrounding the referee but the reality is it has just resulted in more players surrounding the ref and making the Video screen sign in his face
    - The idea that it will result in a "perfect game" is totally ridiculous as many decisions that are given are disputed by "experts" and everybody else for weeks and often never conclusively decided.
    - Linked to this I can't help believing any bias in decisions made for some teams will only be carried over and even backed up using the technology.
    - I am not a fan of Didi Hamman's tipping so I am not taking his opinion as gospel but he thinks 'It's being a disaster in Germany. "Right decisions have been reversed and wrong one's have not been over-ruled"

Pro's

It makes better TV. ( for the reality TV generation)

Does anybody that watches German or Italian football have any views on how it has worked so far ?

2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Worked today in the Torino Bologna game.

Hard one to call, ref booked the forward for diving. Then went to the sideline before play restarted. Changed his mind following VAR and awarded penalty.

Happened very quickly and there was some amount of moaning by the Torino players :56: altogether worked well imo

3. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    To be honest, as much as it drives me * mental when it happens to us, i dont mind watching bad decisions, i think Football gives us emotions that most things in life cant. A penalty decision we didnt get drives us up * wall and makes us go mental but its all part of being a football fan, take those emotions away and it almost becomes robotic, yeah game might become fairer but it does take away some of the drama. But then like Marty says there, if it stops injustice happening it has to be seen as a good thing, big money is on games these days in terms of winning trophies or champions league games ect and to not go through because some * dived and you couldnt get it reversed would be brutal

KRS-1888 and StPauli1916 like this.
  4. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Right. You're on the list:giggle1:

Marty McFly likes this.
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Is there a set criteria for what decisions it can be used for? Or can the Ref go to it anytime he’s not sure?

6. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Worked well, I don’t like it though :50:

StPauli1916 likes this.
  7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    According to the BBC "The technology can only review incidents relating to goals, red cards, mistaken identities and penalties."

However how do you define "what relates to a goal or a penalty" ? Does a challenge/foul on the half way line relate to a goal/penalty ?

If you are looking at a second yellow do you review the first as well ?

Also relating to your initial question JC is a ref ever "sure" ? And will he ever be more "sure" after watching a replay ?

KRS-1888 likes this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye it seems like a dangerous avenue to me..

Rugby has it spot on I think, but tbh that’s a game that naturally doesn’t flow like football..

It may cut a bit of cheating if players know it won’t effect the game.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  9. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I detest diving JC as much as when any Celtic player does it as anyone else and if it does make some of these decisions more transparent then then that is brilliant. The reality is a lot of "penalty diving decisions" are still open to debate so you could sit around for 2 mins for the decision and they still get it "wrong".

10. Cmcgregor90

I find it highly embarassing scottish football says they cant afford it im sure that was more the goal line technoligy but surley we can bring this in a tv at the side of the pitch. I much prefare the ref making the decision i seen a game the other night think it was benfica v sporting and the ref took another persons word for it through his ear

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

What I don’t like about footballs VAR compared to the TMO is the Ref runs over to the side of the pitch and basically has a debate, that we can’t hear.

Would much rather see the way rugby do it, with their TMO.. Ref standing on the field with the just the two captains maybe and nobody else allowed within 10yds.

The Ref then discussing the decision with the VAR, as we simultaneously view the incident on TV we can all hear the thought process, this would ensure transparency. Basically discussing the decision as everyone views it, officials, players, commentators and TV audience.

I guess that would mean the refs would need to be microphoned up.. so we could hear them throughout.

This would also cut players swearing at the Ref and vice versa.. :giggle1:..

There’s a lot we could take from Rugby tbh.. but won’t as football is too arrogant. However you could end up with refs trying to be starts of the show like Nigel Owens..

12. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    A lot of it still comes down to the individual ref there was one in a Juve game earlier this season where the ref gave a penalty that wasn't and even after VAR still stuck to his wrong decision. I'm also curious as to how it works if an attacker is called offside while clean through on goal but before he has a shot, if VAR shows he was onside does he get a free kick or what?

13. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Rugby League or Rugby Union ?

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye that’s an interesting one, I guess the attacker should always try and put the ball in the net.. so do they stop playing the whistle?

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Don’t watch league it’s pish.. :lager:

16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    They probably wouldn't even look at it.

17. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    You're dead to me.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:56:

StPauli1916 likes this.
  19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

For VAR to work...(watched the Liverpool game)

We defo need to look at having big screens and the refs to be wired for sound.. needs to be made transparent.

It’s essential the conversation between the VAR & the Ref is heard..

Need to look more to rugby defo. It’s early days tho.

James likes this.
  20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Long overdue in my opinion.

JC Anton likes this.