1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

UEFA - New Third European Club Competition 2021

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Bobo_, Sep 11, 2018.

Discuss UEFA - New Third European Club Competition 2021 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It's already been stated that it will help smaller nations I'd put my mortgage that it won't involve more teams just gives teams another chance to stay in Europe after qualification stages for instance suduva went out in play off to us they would go into third competition so how is that me maki g a *

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

2. seanm

* uefa all this is is another competition to weed out all the clubs they dont want in their elite league. its a pity karl heinz rummenige never followed through with his threatened breakaway league a few years ago until uefa agreed to his demands regarding the elite clubs and bayern in particular. cant remember what it was about but its what we need from all the minor teams to do and breakaway from uefa who dont want us anyway.HH.just googled it and he wanted to start a european superleague to * up uefa.

3. seanm

* * uefa to *

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

You've had a go at him for making an educated guess (given that we know UEFA values money over everything else) on what the proposal is...then go on to assume that the 3rd competition will be for teams that drop down from the Europa qualifiers.

Whatever UEFA peddle about this initiative being interested in smaller clubs/clubs from smaller nations I will take with a shovel of salt.

Their changes in this year's Champions League to concentrate power and subsequently wealth in Europe's big leagues tells you they couldn't care less about smaller nations.

Beware a wolf in sheep's clothing as they say. I'm fairly confident any such change will not be to the benefit of Celtic or Scottish Football as a whole.

Fully87 and Gabriel like this.
  5. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I didn't have a go at him a stated the ovb that if he is shooting people down over having an optimistic view on the proposals with out anything else being released then the same has to go for the pessimistic view...

6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I was going to say stated by who ? Uefa ? But it doesn't actually say anything about helping smaller nations in the OP just there will be more teams in europe not where they are from.

Gabriel and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and maybe it's cynical/pessimistic of me to say but I think anyone thinking that UEFA has suddenly grown a conscience and wants to help smaller nations then they've not been paying attention over the last 20 years.

trip2themoon and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I don't believe they have a conscience the competition is to keep smaller nations happy and let the bigger nations get on with it in the champions league

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Which then indirectly disadvantages smaller nations, concentrating the wealth and power to the big countries even more and in the long-term makes qualification for the Champions League even less attainable for smaller nations.

Gyp Rosetti and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Aye here’s some crumbs from the top table ya peasants.

11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

UEFA's equivalent of the Petrofac Cup.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  12. Nasser

I think we are more or less there already in the EPL especially the top clubs.

13. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I get where you are coming from so what makes the CL attractive to you then is it the money or coming up against these teams who have sold their soul and then watch these teams pump celtic in an ideal world I'd rather we were in a competition that gave us decent prize money that allowed us to keep a decent squad and compete whether that is still the champions league or another competition remains to be seen

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The Champions League isn't attractive at all to me anymore, if Celtic don't qualify for it I won't watch any game other than possibly the final. The format is tired and stale with the same teams in the latter stages year on year.

Even watching Celtic in it has become a chore, to watch us get skelped about by teams that are now billionaire playthings.

Short-term I want us to qualify as the money means we'll stay miles ahead domestically. Medium to Long term we need to be part of a concerted and collective movement for change. The only way I think that'll come about is by people boycotting games on TV and/or sponsors.

Fully87, Gabriel and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  15. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    As I’ve said on here before, that PSG pumping at Parkhead made me feel physically sick. This mentality if we make it then certain fans want the glamour ties, well I don’t. Watching the team I love getting absolutely roasted isn’t fun, and * watching the best talent in the world I want us to win or at least make a fist of it.

trip2themoon, Gabriel and Seán Mac D like this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly. I'll always be able to say I've watched us beat Del Piero's Juventus, Ronaldo's Man Utd and Messi's Barcelona, there was glamour when we could go toe-to-toe with these teams and give them a game. With the gap growing wider and teams like PSG being backed by an actual country there's no level playing field and therefore no glamour in it at all.

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

This. I don't mind them beating us. Not being able to even give them a game though is heart breaking. Even loosing 2-1 or a late goal is * but atleast it would be giving them a game. Drawing with city, that's giving them a game. Psg though. Not breaking neymar. * that.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  18. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    It could be good, so would look forward to them announcing what it is. I really hope it is good for smaller clubs but wouldn't get upset if it wasn't because it will likely be a bit * anyway. It will be filled with smaller teams and probably make the Europa league harder to get into for teams outside of the big 5. If like the Intertoto cup then it will just hand more spaces to mediocre English teams. I just don't trust UEFA.

19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That there surely explains what this competition is for.
    The CL will stay as it is, the big teams having a pass the parcel of the big pay packet, then for us smaller leagues who are making noise about the CL not being for champions, here is another tournament that you can play in.

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Calling it europa league 2... * can't come up with anything original and kick offs are at half 3 on a Thursday same platform as europa league and basically when group is finished their is a round between el dropouts vs group runners up before last 16...... And the same is happening to el CL drop out vs group runner ups before last 16