1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Things Pele Does Not Want You to Know

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mystic Penguin, May 10, 2012.

Discuss Top 5 Things Pele Does Not Want You to Know in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Would love to know how many people in this thread have actually watched Pele play a full 90mins? Not many, if any would be my guess.

I know I certainly haven't therefor I see my opinion on the guy invalid.

2. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think some people don't understand just how ahead of the game Brazil was back then. His State championship was competitive with the larger European leagues at that point. Sao Paolo the state has historically been about as big as Argentina or England. Today if it was a country, only Colombia would be more populous in South America. Money wasn't as much of a factor back then, and so people tended to stay in their domestic league even when they weren't being forced to by their government. People have shown just how good Santos were with their performances against European teams.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I'm of the firm belief Ronaldinho had all the tools to be the greatest ever personally. He didn't have the close control or the goalscoring ability of Messi but the things that his brain would tell his body to do were mind-boggling. No player before or since has had that pure natural flair imo, even Ronaldo.

4. Mr. Slippyfist

I've seen more of him in the "Cannae get it up" adverts than I have seen of him as a football player:56::56::56:

Good point you made there though :50:

He does seem to be a bit of an aul' * though :97:

5. Shane1888

Good point made there, but I really don't think it takes a full 90 minutes for you to formulate an opinion on someone as a football player. You can normally tell right away when someone is going to be a star, not to mention the footage available to the world via the internet nowadays too.

One search on Google for 'Pele' brings up heaps of footage, facts, etc, so everyone knows what he's done for the game.

Whilst Pele undoubtedly falls into the 'superstar' category, I never have and never will buy the idea that he is the best ever to ever grace a football pitch, for reasons that I've explained in my last post in this thread.

6. scottythetim

You can see this thread is filled with young guys with blinkers on,

Jinky, Pele, Eusebio etc werent the pampered little primadonnas of modern football, they faced hatchett men every week on muddy/bare pitches and still their skill and goal scoring prowess shined through despite being kicked all over the pitch

While theres no denying Messi is a fantastic talent he and his other modern superstars are well protected and able to express theirselves more without the flying tackles from behind etc

The older heroes had to have a mixture of strength and technique to thrive, nowadays its more technique

Anybody that says Pele is * or overrated knows * all about the history and evolution of our game, Pele and Maradona were the kings of their time, as Messi is now
    Different time different game to compare is pointless

7. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

You're right it doesn't take a full 90mins to formulate an opinion.

But if you have never seen the guy play and are only going on a 5min YouTube compilation, how deep and knowledgeable is that opinion?

"Sammy looks world class on YouTube" and "You can't judge a player going on a highlight reel" crop up in just about every transfer thread.

Is this any different? Obviously everyone knows Pele was a world class player, but in theory it's just the same.

Wish more people had this attitude. :50:

8. scottythetim

Its a british/scottish trait that i dont like mate, guys get built up over the years for their skill, new one comes along, new generation belittle the old one and proclaim their generations star as the greatest
    Football, Musicians,Actors happens to them all

Lets just appreciate them for what they give us, entertainment !!, if people grow tired of anyone fair enough, but their achievements and success is still valid and doesnt need to be belittled

People saying Pele was a *, maybe he is maybe he's know, maybe Messi is a wee * wouldnae stop me dancing up the street if he joined the hoops

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Can't say I've seen anyone say that, or even remotely intimate it?

Who has the blinkers on? :52:

10. scottythetim

Really no blinkers here, mr memory man :56:

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

What's blinkered about having an opinion?

I had the same discussion in the pub with my uncle (an SFA coach for what it's worth) and he was of the very same opinion.

Maradona was an exceptional football player, Pele was an exceptional striker. In overall terms there is really no comparison.

12. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

So who in the game at the moment is an "Exceptional football player" & who's an "Exceptional striker"?

For the sake of the comparison, just strikers.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Messi is the best footballer player that ever lived, Falcao is a world class striker.

14. scottythetim

Hammer your just trolling now mate :icon_mrgreen:, you told me nobody said he was overrated, i showed you, you did !!, i don't compare them as my post says, i think they were all the best in their time and because they played in different environments and under different football laws its almost impossible to compare, do we know for sure a protected pele might not have got even more chances, goals and assists in the modern game

Messi in peles time may have buckled under the pressure of the heavy tackles and rough nature........who knows

They were all fantastic players :50:

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2012
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Higuian is an exceptional striker, Ronaldo is an exceptional footballer.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I never get the protection argument. How do we know that Pele wouldn't be utter bollocks through the supreme fitness of the athletes playing the game now compared to the cloggers of his day?

17. scottythetim

That a good point and another variable, another reason its impossible to compare unless they were both playing at same time

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It was more the '*' part I was referring to. No one thinks Pele was *, plenty think he was over rated.

Many think he is the greatest that ever lived, if you are of the opinion that he isn't (as I am) then you think he is over rated.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Also the fact that back then football was vastly more attacking than today. Pele never faced anything like Chelseas tactics in the Semi Final.

You can still compare them, they're both footballers.

20. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with both.

Outside Messi & Ronaldo are there any another strikers that could be described as exceptional footballers?