1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Centre Backs Currently and Historically

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Liam Scales, Dec 9, 2016.

Discuss Top 5 Centre Backs Currently and Historically in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, that's fair enough. No doubts VVD is doing the business while Kompany/Terry languish on the sidelines.

Kompany should be in the top 5-10 in the world, but injuries are hampering him. Has all the talent and has been desperately unlucky. VVD isn't there yet for me, and that's no dig at his ability.

Have to agree to disagree. I would have Terry streets ahead of Carragher.

Terry, Vidic, Rio

Kompany, Carvalho, Campbell, King

Gallas, Toure, Carragher

That's how I'd rate those players from that era, give or take.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace

Each to their own mate, I think Carvalho is probably the best defender the Premiership's seen, outwith Jaap Stam. Guy just oozed class.

Ledley King was a shame by the way, he could have been something tremendous. A miracle he had the career he had.

ourdaywillcome! likes this.
  3. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nah there are times when throwing your body in front of the ball is needed. He was a great defender when in his prime, which is backed up by the amoung of individual award he has won. Should have left to go to America when he was in his early thirties instead of looking past it at a high level, think thats been his biggest downfall.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    There are times when it is needed but that just seemed to be his default state of defending. Always half a yard out of position so needs to throw himself at it.

He was a good defender but not a 'great' I wouldn't have him anywhere near the likes of Nesta and Cannavaro.

5. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Fair doos. Definitely a class centre half.

Aye, could of been up there but for injuries. When you see Kolo struggling against Motherwell after a lack of game time and then see how King just slotted into huge Prem games after injuries and next to no training. Quite incredible and something you don't see much at all.

Liam Scales likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Apparently just used to stand with the manager on the training ground, talked tactics. Then would stroll 90 minutes every week, such a * oddity.

7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Aye his cartilage and ligaments in and around his knees was totally *, it was similar to the Agathe situation where it was bone on bone, he was a great big defender just a shame about his problems.

Liam Scales likes this.
  8. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Ricardo Carvalho, Paolo Maldini, Roberto Ayala, Rafael Marquez, Alessandro Nesta are all defenders I loved to watch growing up. Marquez not necessarily one of the best defenders but him and Puyol were a great partnership and complemented each other very well.

Nowadays Andrea Barzagli, Diego Godin, Leonardo Bonucci, and Pepe are the best. There's no one that comes close to those 4 in my opinion. I think Per Mertesacker is a really good centre half if I had to pick a 5th. Criminally underrated due to his lack of pace. But almost always in the right position and a very good passer as well.

I always find it strange how people always mention Chiellini and Bonucci but not Barzagli. I've watched a good bit of Juventus over the last 4-5 years and he stands out as the best one.

Chiellini is quite clumsy at times and I've seen him caught out of position quite a lot. Usually gets bailed out by the other two. Prone to conceding penalties as well. But he works well in the back three due to his aggression and gives good balance to it as he's left footed.

Bonucci has more to his game in terms of his distribution but as an out and out defender only Godin comes close to Barzagli's level over the last 5 years in my opinion.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I like Mertesacker but the reason he's not mentioned in terms of being one of the best is because, as you said, he's slow as *.

As soon as a player gets past him he's done.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Wee bump for @Monaghan..

Was just thinking reading your post and totally agree as well..

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye, i'd say also John Terry is the best English one in my lifetime as well. He was similar to Godin now at his best which was really a decade ago.

The best the now defensively for me would be Godin, Thiago Silva, Pepe, Bonucci and I probably wouldn't add in a 5th. The others who are the best like Ramos, Hummels, Boateng, Pique, Van Dijk, Chiellini are a wee bit more attacking than they are defensive or a wee bit rash(Ramos and Chiellini).

Best overall in my time i'd probably go

1. Maldini
    2. Nesta
    3. Cannavaro
    4. Thiago Silva
    5. Desailly
    6. Godin
    7. Thuram
    8. Hierro
    9. Ayala
    10. Terry
    11. Puyol
    12. Stam
    13. Lucio
    14. Campbell
    15. Ramos
    16. Pepe
    17. Carvalho
    18. Ferdinand
    19. Bonucci
    20. Boateng
    21. Pique
    22. Hummels
    23. Chiellini
    24. Vidic
    25. Samuel
    26. Barzagli
    27. Kompany
    28. Van Dijk
    29. Montero
    30. Gallas

Let out a few I know of but didnt see week in week out or were past their best like Baresi, Aldair, Costacurta, Ferrara, Blanc, F.De Boer, Nadal, Adams who's peaks were early or mid 90s. Although Frank de Boer is younger than them he was probably at his best at Ajax in his mid 20s dont think he was too good at Barca.

Hard to rank them considering some were smarter defensively but some had more pace, some were better leaders, some scored more goals, some only played there when older like Hierro, Thuram, Maldini, some clumsier and more mistake prone than others.

Decided to cut it off at 30, likes of Carragher, Hyypia, Marquez, Toure, Juan, Marchena just not making the cut.

Van Dijk still needs tested at a bigger club though, all the others played at top clubs in top League and in International tournaments and the knockouts of the CL which hes not done yet.

Forgot Mascherano would stick him in behind Vidic actually.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  12. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Alan hansen
    Rio Ferdinand
    paul mcgrath
    Sol campbell
    nemanja vidic

13. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Any one mentioned Franco Baresi ?

14. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Currently.

1. Pepe
    2. Ramos
    3. Luiz
    4. Godin
    5. Alderweireld

In my lifetime.

1. Cannavaro
    2. Lucio
    3. Nesta
    4. Puyol
    5. Pepe

15. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Very difficult to compare across different eras. I would agree Terry was better than Campbell but would probably have Adams ahead of both.

16. Barry Robson

In no particular order

Right now:
    Chiellini
    Ramos
    Bonucci
    Alderweireld
    Godin

From my lifetime:
    Maldini (the best I have seen)
    Rio
    Puyol
    Nesta
    Cannavaro

17. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    My boss is a Burnley fan and when Southampton went to Burnley earlier in the season he couldn't believe how easily Virgil strolled around all game and how strong and composed he looked. Said it was like a kid at school playing with a load of kids a couple of years younger than him.

18. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Seaman

Dixon Bould Adams Winterbottom​

From the famous '1-0 to the Arsenal' period. Not a * player amongst them. Martin Keown then filled in for Bould - hardly * in himself either! Back in the day when a defensive unit was used as it was - a unit. Liverpool before them the same and Man Utd in the same period/shortly after - all had excellent defensive units. Players who played to each others strengths and knew each others weaknesses.

You don't get that anymore except maybe at Juve now.

19. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Currently, I've no idea, to be honest.

Watching the Premier League in England growing up, I'd have said the likes of Tony Adams, John Terry and Rio Ferdinand were the best in that League.

From international tournaments and European football, I'd go for Carles Puyol, Jaap Stam, Marcel Desailly, Alessandro Costacurta, Fernando Hierro, Lilian Thuram, Alessandro Nesta, Fabio Cannavaro & Paolo Maldini.

If I had to put that into a top 5

1. Maldini
    2. Cannavaro
    3. Terry
    4. Puyol
    5. Stam

20. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Then Wenger bought Vieira and Petit to play in front of them. Bet Arsenal kill for that now.