1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tony Watt

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Maestro 08, Aug 30, 2013.

Discuss Tony Watt in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Darnok

A goal against Barca, albeit a great goal at the best time, but that is pretty much all of note he has done.

2. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Brilliant mate. :50:

3. Seosamh Máirtín

He scored more than once for us, y'know...

4. Darnok

Is that right? Without looking, what other big game goal has he scored, for us or anyone else?

5. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

its the barca effect. if he never scored against them then this thread would have about 2 pages i dont see how he is any better than players like simon lynch, cillian sheridan or craig bettie

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He looked like he had ability in other games for Celtic.

Liam Scales likes this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I actually agree that his talent was/is a bit over exaggerated, tbh. Always felt that.

If he'd applied himself he could have become the best striker we'd have had come through for a while, aye, but I was never as gutted to lose him as others. He made his decision.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    For me he had 3 solid attributes you need to set yourself on the way to being a good striker. Pace, strength/physique and could finish..

It's his attitude and application that * him completely..

This is a guy who should be playing in a top division somewhere, and in Scotland squad's. Instead he seems happy in the Belgian second tier..

9. SeanBhoy7

Thought he had tremendous potential, shame he is turning into another Riordan.

10. Seosamh Máirtín

Did I say he scored big goals for us? Listen, you play out whatever weak * agenda you want. I've nothing against Tony and I'm glad for his contributions to the club. The amount of hate he receives is absolutely ridiculous. I hope he knuckles down and becomes a good pro, but if he doesn't he doesn't. Does it concern us?

11. CraigFairlie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    I thought he was decent, but the Barca goal went to his head and his attitude started to stink royally. It's not quite to the extent of someone like Ravel Morrison, but it stinks nonetheless. Thought he'd buckle down at Hearts tbh. Yes, not as big as Celtic, i get that, but it's top flight football nonetheless.

Maybe there's personal issues with him, who knows but from the outside looking in, he's just gonna be like Riordan or O'Connor or someone else of that ilk.

packybhoy likes this.
  12. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Now the dust has settled on my move to Belgium, I’ve agreed to jot down a little insight into my life as a (ever so slightly) young guy playing football for talkingbaws.com – and I’m looking forward to getting started.

Although London is one of the most desirable places in the world, I wanted to give it up to come back to Belgium. To be completely honest with you, the last eight months there I felt totally out of place. My time at Charlton was up for a while and I knew I needed to find somewhere I felt wanted and needed. Despite this, it was definitely a club that gave me many of my fondest memories.

In my first period there I played under Bob Peeters and, after a tough period at Standard Liege, he drilled confidence into me like I’ve never experienced. It’s just a shame he didn’t stick around long. More notably, Guy Luzon gave me some of my greatest moments playing football. He was a sort of father figure and he definitely brought out the best in me. Looking back I do wish he stayed for longer, but unfortunately that’s football.

I believe I can rediscover that feeling of content at a club and that is exactly why I chose OH Leuven. People will look from the outside and ask ‘why OHL? Why Belgium? Why the second division?’, but hopefully this weekly blog can answer some of those questions and give you a view into my life from a distance. I’m not writing this to clear anything up or be negative in any way. I purely want to give fans, and anyone else interested, a look into my life, answer some questions and have some fun.

The real reason I chose OHL over other clubs was because I was searching for stability regardless of the division. Having worked with Wim de Corte, the technical director, before, after one conversation I knew what I was getting. I don’t believe there are many 23-year-olds (I was 19 when I first came here to Belgium, by the way) who would move abroad to work and be willing to leave everything behind for a new life. But it’s a project I genuinely believe in.

Last year I thought going home would give me the stability I needed, but, in all truth, it wasn’t the correct timing after injury and I was a half fit Tony Watt for the full season. That sounds like a excuse, but I don’t intend it to be. It just didn’t work out, but Hearts fans have been nothing but brilliant with me. I really wanted it to work out. The experience made me work the hardest I have ever worked this summer though. Seven kilos and 6% body fat later, on the 30th of June I was ready for my first pre-season in two years.

I still believe I have what it takes to play for my country again. If I didn’t believe in myself what would be the point in playing? My first and only cap to date came 10 days before I ripped my groin completely off the bone. I was enjoying my football and felt my career was going in the right direction. Unfortunately, that injury not only kept me out for four months, but also had a knock-on effect over the whole of last season. In the space of 16-20 weeks, a transfer embargo and a ripped groin ruined moves to two very good English clubs. Fortunately I’m young and, as I’ve said, I had a good summer to bring me back to where I need to be.

From my first minute on the pitch at OH Leuven I felt my decision was justified. Nothing beats the supporters singing for 90 minutes when you’re winning and for the 10 minutes after you’ve won. Belgium is different. The atmosphere is amazing. After the games, supporters and players interact like I’ve never seen before. A 7-1 win for my first game against the team at the top of the table probably helps to settle quickly. Unbeaten since and unlucky to go out the cup in extra time with nine men against a first division team shows the character this team has and without doubt the potential is there.

I’ve missed the past couple of weeks with a broken toe, but even while being out I have enjoyed cheering on the lads in our quest for promotion. The win over Cercle Brugge earlier this week was important for us and hopefully when I’m back I can bring something to a confident, winning team. I know I’ll rediscover my form and I’m very confident that OH Leuven is the perfect place to do that.

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2017/10/tony-watt-why-i-left-london-for-my-belgium-return/

Liam Scales and chiefo like this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I really do hope he has screwed the nut.

5 years too late for what he could have been but it'll be good to see.

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’ll have fallen out with the manager within 6 months and have another excuse as to why.

Then more than likely he’ll be back in Scotland with his tail between his legs.

Waster.

Officer Doofy and Liam Scales like this.
  16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Most likely outcome mate. I hope no though.

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The fact that he had 7kg and 6% body fat to lose says a lot about his attitude. If that was a 100kg rugby player it would be poor, but on a footballer who looks about 70kg it's shockingly bad.

Hopefully he gets a gip of himself, but I really doubt it.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

After introducing myself last week and giving an early glimpse into my life abroad, hopefully you’ll be glad to hear I’m back with the next part. This week I’ll be sharing a bit more about settling in over in Belgium and how it is being injured.

Before we get into how my week has been I just want to mention the groin injury I spoke about in the last column and the effect it had on me. I went down in the game against Preston in April last year and I knew I was done when signalled over to the bench. I knew my groin had ripped and my season was over, but I definitely didn’t realise the full extent of my injury and the length of time I’d be out. I missed five weeks at the end of the season and then played the first game of the following campaign. Looking at the facts, I didn’t miss a lot of football, but, mentally, I missed a lot of important times.

I spent my summer in rehab at Hampden with physio Jim Fallon. Don’t get me wrong, Jim is a top physio and great guy, but aqua jogging with a float around my waist wasn’t quite how I’d envisioned my summer. From start to finish it was four months before I was back training. It wasn’t what I needed. The timing couldn’t have been worse. I honestly think if I had done it at the start of the season it would have been better for me. I didn’t have teammates around me during the summer. Had they had been there, I would have definitely envied them being able to train fully fit and would have been even more desperate to get back. I would have been aiming to train as soon as possible.

This last week has been a nightmare. Ever since I broke my toe four weeks ago, it has had a knock-on effect to my other foot. I rested for a week before I went out, attempted to train and lasted about 90 seconds before doing the walk of shame back to the physio room in front of 20 grown men. What makes it worse was the fact that I was winding everyone up shouting ‘Tony’s back’ a few seconds before. Running alongside the team handing out verbals and threatening nutmegs one minute then trying to sneak back inside a few minutes later. Unfortunately, the walk back was too far to go unnoticed. You can imagine the abuse I got as they began to realise. Fully deserved.

I took it like a man, but in my head the problem was still there. I was gutted. All sorts of injuries were being mentioned and the only thing on my mind was the thought of another six weeks of rehab. The team would be walking past me on their way out to training while I would be on the bike with the physio as my only teammate for weeks. Not ideal. As I wrote before, having my team mates around me would help me work towards getting back on to the field as soon as possible, but I don’t fancy being stuck in a physio room jumping on a trampoline or cycling 10 kilometres on the spot. I’ve been available for selection once under the new manager. ONCE. That certainly isn’t the best of starts, but I’m very fortunate that he’s helped me to stay positive about the whole situation and made me feel part of the team. We’re winning and we are challenging to become champions – a much bigger prospect than my daily 10k cycle.

The words ‘stress fracture’ were two I did not want to hear after I had the scan. Waiting for the doctor to call me was the longest hour-and-a-half I’ve had in a long time. You couldn’t wipe the smile from my face when he told me the good news that there had been no fracture. This time when I put my boots on, I’ll try to keep my mouth shut until at least the warm up is finished. Then the fighting talk can really start.

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2017/10/tony-watt-from-tonys-back-to-back-in-the-physio-room/

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's really easy to put on weight when you're injured.

20. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He sounds like such a * reading that article. Self obsessed *.

Obviously the article is about his injuries but he comes across like one of the stuck up Americans you see on reality tv that never * up about themselves.

gerard1888 likes this.