1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Thomas Gravesen Thread

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by mikeybhoy, Aug 15, 2006.

Discuss Thomas Gravesen Thread in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Macca7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lee Naylor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    "That`s why we`re champions"
    :56: That backfired big time on that scum of the earth ! :84:

2. JTBhoys01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    All of them
    Yes!!!!!:party048::hi5::36:

:83: Thomas Gravesen

Like I said last night, we would either have tims with sore heads at losing him, or we would be celebrating, well I think now he's here we
    " We're gonna Celebrate,we're gonna Celebrate, we're gonna Cel, We're gonna Celebrate"

:party::party::party22:
    :champ:

3. LB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Hooper ,All Time -"Jinky"
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    The Magners is out of the bottle as i type this .....Roll on the Aberdeen game

4. mikeybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Di Canio,larsson,hartson,sutton,etc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    youll never walk alone,HailHail
    Exactly m8 but the only problem I have is TG+JOVH+Naylor wont have played much before we play Utd but I suppose we are better getting them 1st then once the team gell's well I think ALL the bhoys+ghirls will know what will happen hopefully the bhoys go on a winning streak just like when MON was in charge eh was it not like 77 games undeafted at CP or something like that.

Once again got to give the Board the credit for pulling this off Once again yyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss

5. ajb

"I don't think he's as good as Brellier" quote from some hearts forum.

Funny, befor he signed, he was too good for Celtic, now he's not good enough.

Great signing.

6. JTBhoys01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    All of them
    Theyr'e just jealous cos theyre getting all the has beens who nobody heard of, Romanov is pure business man, he'll float Hearts on the market in next 2years, if he was interested at all, do you think he would bring in all these czech/lithuanian/russian players for SFA?

He's already showed what he's all about & the jambos can't handle the fact that Celtic are signing soooperb players, I can't see hearts ever becoming real force in Europe, the'yll never have the fanbase.

'mon the Hoops:shamrock: :shamrock:

7. Needtoknow

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady/VOH/Maloney/Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Brellier doesnt even want to be at Hearts, we could sign him but he would be well down the list imo!:84:

8. ajb

Well, they'll never become a force as long as they keep signing lithuanians on loan. Roman will * their club up.

9. ajb

Anyway, I reckon GS will come up with one more signing, not sure who, but I've get a feeling they've not finished yet

10. Hunbasher

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Mick!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail celtic
    Bring on all challangers now!Great job to the board for listening to our please!Hail,Hail!

11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Hey credit where credit is due. The board stuck their heels in on Pertrov and ended up getting good money for him and not selling him until a replacement was ready. Many of us and rightly so have been very critical of them but in their favour they certainly have produced the goods lately.
    I am very excited about the signing of Tomas Gravesen. I think he will prove to be an excellent player for Celtic. Judging by all the quotes from him today he can't wait to get going. I never wanted to loose Petrov but we had no choice with him deciding he wanted to go and while obviously the 2 players are not the exact same type of player not only is Gravesen a top class central midfielder he is that leader and dynamic driving personality that we have needed as well and given his obvious excitment and desire to play for Celtic his intangibles as well as his footballing ability may prove equally huge for us this season.:84:

12. Big Al

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Maloney, Zurawski
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The ones that are about football
    I loved some of his comments last night. The man's going to be a legend and the Huns will f@cking hate him. :O)

13. wanmadtim Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka - Brown - Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I agree with the above wholeheartedly.....Since we lost Sutton - Hartson - Henke i feel as well as losing quality goal scorers in these guys, we also lost that will to win-never say die attitude these guys had in spades. I also felt that the younger guys in the team McManus...Wilson....Caldwell and McGeady were left with no one (except Lennon maybe) to look up to....be in awe of if you like.....That when they went on to the park alongside these players they knew they HAD better play at their best and make few mistakes....I think in Gravensen we have some of these qualities back again...Someone who will make others around him want to give that extra every game.....I hope so.

14. Murdi

Any quotes I've seen from him sound very, very positive. Good luck to him.

15. celtic_bhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjälby
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Gravesen interview!

Gravesen knows what to expect Gregor Kyle

HAVING revelled in the Old Firm atmosphere in the stands at Celtic Park, new signing Thomas Gravesen is desperate to get involved in the heart of the action.

The Danish internationalist put pen to paper on a three-year contract yesterday (Wednesday, August 30) after Celtic agreed a fee with the midfielder’s former club Real Madrid.

A cult hero at the Bernabeu and former sides, Everton, Hamburg and Vejle Boldklub, the midfielder is presently on international duty in his homeland and has told how he has been excited by the transfer to a club he already knows all about.

The midfielder has some idea of what to expect in Glasgow, having attended several matches in the past and he is now looking forward to joining his new team-mates for training.

“My dad said from the beginning when Celtic first came in for me that I should pick them,” commented Gravesen. “He said he wanted to see me play there.

“I took him to Celtic Park for an Old Firm game when I was at Everton, which was two or three years ago. We went to the match and he filmed the fans when they sang 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. He still has it on his computer at home in Denmark.

“Me signing for Celtic means an awful lot to him and it means everything to me. This is fantastic because it was my dad's dream for me to play for Celtic.

“I have this feeling now which is very difficult to describe. I've been to a lot of clubs in my career but this feeling I have as I sign for Celtic is different.”

The 30-year-old also sought the advice of a number of other Celtic players as he considered his options in Madrid.

“I have a good friend in Morten Wieghorst who told me all about the club and gave me lots of hints about what to do.

“I also spoke with Henrik Larsson who I know a bit because I sorted him out for tickets at Madrid for his wife.

“Look at the hairs standing up on my arms now,” added Gravesen with a broad smile. “That is from just talking about it! That shows everything.

“Alan Stubbs spoke to me as well and told me when we were at Everton what Celtic mean,” Gravesen added. “So there are no surprises for me about what the club is about. I know the history and the fans.

“I know how much they travel to watch their team. I've been to Blackburn to see them as well as Old Trafford.

“I'm really delighted. Very, very happy that I have signed for Celtic. It means a lot. The last month has been massive with thoughts going through my head.

“The treatment from Celtic and the gaffer has been outstanding throughout this difficult time.”

Now for a player like that to be sayin this is great! that's what all top players should be saying about Celtic!! What a guy! Love the bit about the hairs on his arm standing up!!

CHEERS LARSSON, MORTEN, STUBBSY,AND GRAVERSEN SNR!!!

16. Jungle Bhoy

Cracking interview!

17. celtic_bhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjälby
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * was Henky's wife wanting scummy Madrid tickts for??? haha

18. Jungle Bhoy

lol, maybe Madrid v Barcelona?

19. madtim1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gravesen/ VOH / JIRI / Maloney/Mcgeady/Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone
    lots of people / media todays papers etc .. portraying gravesen as an animal somewhat i feel .... quotes " from record etc " he gave me a stare that would stop a grizzly bear dead in its tracks .. "... the type of guy that if u spilt his carlsberg over you would buy him 10 in return... was * myself at that today...he really want to play for us with a passion tho that much i know , gravesen said he feels this is his best move of his career so far ... and lets hope so , and hope he shows some of the form that he single handedly led everton at. i also think WGS is gonna play him like everton did in an more attacking midfielder sense .. coz he can track back no probs aswell ... if he does we will run amok .... i mean youd think gravo was gonna or kill somebody tho from todays papers theyre having a field day good reading tho.... sure fair enough he is a tough player , he is very very competetive also ... and a commander ... but the real point i think a lot of media and huns etc seem to miss .... the guy cant half play a bit aswell..

watched him many times for everton and madrid in the past aswell ... his first touch , control ,running, and killer passing , never wastes a ball too ,toughness, leadership , gets other players going round about him who aint playing well .. will lift us 10 folds... hes the complete midfielder in my view.

and those who say petrov is better than gravesen ... tell me this .. if gravesen was still at everton or madrid , and petrov still here and we played them ... who ya think would get the better / be more influencial on the game in the MF ...? ... petrov? i think not..

as ive said many times before ... this is some signing possibly our biggest ever.

keane was way past his best imowhen he came to us ...
    gravesens still got it all and more+. and hes only (30).

i hope he really shows it.. coz we will benefit greatly in the CL etc..

p.s. lets see how he does .. but if he shows form id wait a while then make him our captain tbh.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2006
  20. steviehawk92

Fav Celtic Player:
    jan vennegor of hesselink
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Thomas Gravesen

BIG THOMAS GRAVESENS THREAD!

Personal informationFull nameThomas GravesenDate of birthMarch 11, 1976Place of birthVejle, DenmarkHeight5'10"NicknameGraver (Digger),
    Mad Dog, TommyPositionMidfielderClub informationCurrent clubCelticNumber16Youth clubsVejle BoldklubProfessional clubs*YearsClubApps (goals)1995-1997
    1997-2000
    2000-2005
    2005-2006
    2006-Vejle Boldklub
    Hamburger SV
    Everton F.C.
    Real Madrid
    Celtic58 (10)
    94 (6)
    141 (11)
    34 (1)
    National team**1998-Denmark64 (5)

Biography

Born in Vejle, Gravesen's career started in 1995 with hometown club Vejle Boldklub (VB) in the Danish Superliga, alongside a handful of youths making it through the VB youth scheme, including good friend Kaspar Dalgas. At VB, Thomas Gravesen would play both as a sweeper and defensive midfielder, and after he won silver medals in the 1996-97 Superliga season, Gravesen moved to German team Hamburger SV in 1997. While playing for Hamburger SV, he debuted for the Danish national team in 1998, and in 2000 he went to English club Everton F.C. where he quickly became a favourite amongst the fans.
    While at Everton, Gravesen would be selected to play for Denmark at the 2000 European Championship (Euro 2000) by coach Bo Johansson, despite concern from Johansson that he was not "psychologically stable" (stabil i sin psyke) enough.[1] New Denmark coach Morten Olsen would fully support Gravesen and made him one of his pivotal players in the 2002 FIFA World Cup and the Euro 2004 campaigns. Especially his display in the 2002 World Cup qualifying game with Iceland, where Gravesen scored two goals in a 6-0 win, was so impressive that American boxer Mike Tyson asked for his shirt[2] and wore it throughout his stay at Denmark.
    He played all four of Denmark's matches at the 2002 World Cup, though Gravesen and his partner in the Danish midfield duo, Stig Tøfting, would justify their pit bull images when they ganged up to play a prank on teammate Jesper Grønkjær at a World Cup training session.[3] He missed the first group match at Euro 2004, as he was suspended due to a sending off in the last qualifying match before the tournament but he played the remaining three games before Denmark were eliminated.
    Gravesen played a key role in Everton's rise to the upper reaches of the 2004-05 Premiership table, from his position as an attacking midfielder, however as his contract was due to expire in the summer of 2005 enabling him to leave for free, Everton sold Gravesen to Real Madrid for a fee of £2.5 million, on January 14, 2005.[4] At Real Madrid, he looked to fill a hole in the defensive midfield, a position somewhat different from his time at Everton.[2] He found immediate playing success at Real Madrid, as he scored in one of his first games, a 4-0 win against RCD Espanyol.[5] However, Gravesen would eventually find himself benched, and following public outcry over his tough style of play and the sacking of Real coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo and sporting director Arrigo Sacchi, who were in charge of acquiring Gravesen, he looked ready to leave Real Madrid in the winter of 2005, especially since Manchester United from England showed interest.[6] However, new coach López Caro would revive Gravesen's career at Real, picking him regularly, using him in the holding role in the new 4-1-4-1 formation Real adopted. Towards the end of the season, Gravesen once again found himself out of the team, and in May 2006 a number of clubs were reported to be interested in him.[7]
    In August 2006, a fight erupted at a Real Madrid training session, following a hard tackle by Gravesen on teammate Robinho. Fabio Capello, the recently appointed Real Madrid manager, said about Gravesen: "The way he is, we won't have problems with him. He's just a little bit particular. I don't mess with him, he works well tactically. His behaviour is like this, and I don't like it, everything has to be done like he wants it to be done".[8] Gravesen looked likely to leave Real Madrid before the start of the 2006-07 season, with his agent John Sivebæk confirming that a number of clubs - including Newcastle United in England[9] and Scottish club Celtic[10] - were interested in signing the midfielder. On August 28, Gravesen attended Celtic Park in Glasgow for a medical examination and, on August 30, he signed a three year deal (with the option of a fourth year) with the club, for a speculated fee of around £2m. There was a period of uncertainty as to whether Gravesen would sign for Celtic, after rumours of a failed medical and an eleventh-hour bid by Newcastle arose.[11]
    [edit]