1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

This team...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TIART, Feb 23, 2018.

Discuss This team... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    oh and a * good keeper

2. Murph-E

Purely theoretical, but if Dembele, Armstrong and Rogic leave in the summer as rumoured, and Roberts & Edouard & Bain loan deals ending our squad would read, including loan recalls:

GK: Craig Gordon, Dorus De Vries

RB: Mikael Lustig, Cristian Gamboa, Anthony Ralston

LB: Kieren Tierney

CB: Dedryck Boyata, Jozo Simunovic, Kristofer Ajer, Marvin Compper, Jack Hendry, Erik Sviatchenko

CM: Scott Brown, Olivier Ntcham, Eboue Kouassi, Callum McGregor, Nir Bitton

Wingers: Scott Sinclair, James Forrest, Charly Musonda Jr, Jonny Hayes, Calvin Miller, Lewis Morgan

AM: Scott Allan, Ryan Christie, Kundai Benyu

ST: Leigh Griffiths, Nadir Ciftci

Sviatchenko, Allan and Ciftci will all 100% be gone. Benyu and Christie most likely.

So a very young group, and a lot of players, but very much lacking in any depth and missing a lot of quality imo. We'll need to be very, very active this summer.

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The past few transfer windows have been shocking tbh.

Rodgers claims he was happy with business in January but we have came out still needing the same positions strengthened. Focus has to be put upon the defence in terms of players coming in.

Hendry and Compper have two massive question makes over them. The former is not currently better than any of the CB's we have, Ajer for instance is 4 years his junior nearly and is probably twice the player already. At this point we didn't need another project type.

Compper is 33 and has a history of injuries. Time will tell on him but my gut feeling tells me there isn't going to be a spectacular improvement there.

Even attack wise Dembele and Roberts are likely to leave this summer..the latter definitely will due to the loan ending. All over the pitch the players just aren't turning up and the football is seriously lacklustre. BR wants to play fast, attacking football which takes advantage of wide players and flair players. Last season we saw that.

This season, we have become obsessed with possession and the wide players are being left isolated and without support. Strikers not offering enough either.

A lot of work to be done and we are getting to the business end of the season.

4. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Remember the days when these types of threads on here were the norm:giggle1:

Well thought out and easy to read and debate.

Most times now * just post hyperbolic walls of text and the threads fall in to a lot of nonsense.

5. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley

That squad would be shocking. Dembele , Arsmtrong , Rogic and Roberts is a whole lot of quality to lose and not a chance in * could they be replaced on our budget. Armstrong and Rogic must stay and we need to try our upmost to keep Paddy Roberts.

Murph-E likes this.
  6. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I like the enthusiasm and optimism of the OP, but it's a bit out there. Firstly, I'm not sure how many of that 'gifted young core' are actually gifted, young or the core of our team. I think you could say that about Ajer, Tierney and Ntcham, but the rest are pushing it.
    I'm also not sure how we can 'retain or replace with similar quality' when it comes to Roberts, Musonda or Edouard. Edouard is rumoured to be £7m and the other two will cost more than that. We just won't spend that money.

The main point I'll make is, if we want to be a Champions League club - as Lawwell is so desperate to insist we are - then we need to ensure we don't gamble with managerial appointments. Rodgers has proven what a difference a top manager can make, and the salaries that level of manager demands is nothing if they keep season ticket sales high and take us to the group stages. We'll see if the board have learned their lesson when Rodgers eventually leaves.

In terms of our recruitment, our hands are a little tied, but we've shown this strategy can work. The problem with buying potential is you have to wait for it to develop, and the risk is that they might not become the player you hoped they would (the aforementioned 'top manager' helps reduce that risk, though). The good ones bank us some money, but they leave before we see their best and we have to start all over again.

This team could be really could, but that's reliant on keeping the young talent together, or replacing them with equal/better within the budget, replacing key players as they get old, and keeping Rodgers or replacing him with a similarly top class manager.

It won't happen. We might get a managerial appointment right and sign a few good players, but we're equally likely to get a Deila and sign some duds along the way. When we're *, we'll make changes and get a bit better. When we're good, players/managers will leave and we'll go a wee bit backwards. That's our cycle. That's just how it is.

7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    This team, will now need to pull the finger out tomorrow and get a win to make it 9 points again.

If I'm honest I don't think we have players who have the mental toughness like Brown to see a tight run in if we lose tomorrow.

On paper we should be giving the sheep a hammering with our players but we don't know what team is going to turn up and if they are just gonna pass the pass sideways and back.

The players and Rodgers need to get it right and restore the feel good factor and confidence and go on run of winning games, not putting 4 wins in a row has made us stop and start all season.

People can go on about only lost twice in 80 games that', amazing but we have a game in hand but our lead has been cut to 6, which in turn is not very good reading.

Really hope the team go out tomorrow and get into them and bring back the 3 points to Parkhead, maybe this will be the boot up the * we need.