1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Things people say(in person) that leave you gobsmacked

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Markybhoy, Mar 1, 2018.

Discuss Things people say(in person) that leave you gobsmacked in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    i as working for a mob in Bristol ( they were a Scottish company ) . We were sitting in the canteen cant remember what we were talking about but one of them turns round and says " we have a token * working for us " i asked him how he knew i was a * ( he wasnt meaning me ) the whole canteen went quiet , until John said " aye ya shower of * theres two of us now "

i was asked to join the company , told them to * off

TESLA and StPauli1916 like this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    In the Bristol bar you mean?:fear:

3. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    LOL.... naw as in Bristol ,

McChiellini.. likes this.
  4. The Greenman King of kings

About 10 years ago a new guy started at my work, wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed but we got along quite well with him. The moon was really big one night and as we were all getting ready to leave a plane flew across it and this * hits out with "was a close call with that plane there, almost hit the moon". Rest of us awkwardly looked at each other for a few seconds before we all started pishin ourselfs laughing.

Still makes me laugh whenever I think about it, funniest thing I've ever heared someone say while being serious :56:

packybhoy, TESLA, Markybhoy and 6 others like this.
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's clearly not going to answer me, but I was genuinely curious as to why he didn't challenge the guys views, considering it would be the most appropriate thing to do.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  6. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    Should have told her “it’s big enough to fill a pram....”

7. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Usually two reasons.
    1) Too afraid to disagree and doesn’t like confrontation.
    2) Or he agreed.

Going by his recent post history.... ill let you decide which or both apply :giggle1:

8. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Have done it myself, told my nephews girlfriend she shouldn't be drinking cause of the baby due..of course * like me didnt realise she was just fat

9. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda

My hubby once did that at a night out. We were at a table with a couple we didn't know and the woman was really stout in the belly area. He asked her in a friendly polite way when she was due! I quickly stepped in to change the subject before she could take in what he said and like he had never said anything. You should have seen her face and I was mortified but we bluffed our way through it. She got up to go to the loo and hubby's looking at me with a confused look on his face....I could have slapped him! When I was done telling him off for being an insensitive fool he was killing himself laughing. Needless to say the night came to a quicker end as we absorbed ourselves into the crowd and made a quiet exit. To be fair I had thought that she might be expecting myself but as a woman I know better to wait and see if the conversation goes in that direction.

belbhoy likes this.
  10. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Remember waiting for a Chinese takeaway one night.
    It was quite busy and there was a lorry driver standing at the counter ordering his when his phone rang.
    Obviously it was his wife and she must've asked him where he was...'I'm in the Chinky' was his reply ..right in front of them and loud as *.

More recently on Facebook..a lad I know who is a headmaster calling someone a 'spaz'...I called him out on this and got a whole load of abuse.

My wife said to me once in an aurgument 'your only good for handing out money' :eek1:...every time I give her money now I give her this wee look just to remind her.;)

11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    [​IMG]

12. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    The people I can't stand the most are those who forget where they came from. I have family like that who're well off and all they do is *. I recently had my sister stay for a week and it was wine with dinner every night :88: and bragging that her son/daughter have this or did that. Constant holidays....we're off to the Caribbean again in a few weeks etc etc. Bored us to tears with a million photos of her 2 grandchildren on her phone. I mean in the middle of watching a football match she's pulling her phone out and saying look at this J :38: or saying she wants to watch something on tv and talks all the way through it whilst looking at her ipad/phone whatever. Totally self absorbed. Her husband talks about "Social Housing" nearby when he came from a working class family in Hull! His father died on the way home from his last shift :54: His granda much the same. He like his wife have made it good and totally forget their roots and the daily struggles ordinary folk face. Their children (adults) have become spoiled because they've never known any different.

My younger sister is the same. She once told me they were middle class now because he was (at that time) a civil servant :56:We reckon she's since came into a bit of money and kept it quiet :56: She gave up work and is spending money like water :52: I don't engage with folk who * all the time. Money doesn't or can't buy real class and by that I mean old money are so used to having it they don't feel the need to brag or rub folks faces in it. They're generally the volunteers in your community who're just nice people. New money have a tendency to mix in social circles of like minded people. They become the big fish in the wee pond who suddenly become all knowing and patronizing overnight. Especially when they become employers :56:They haven't the sense to know how to behave around people and throw money around in displays of brashness and vulgarity. We've all seen it at some point in our lives to lesser or greater degrees. Having or not having money shouldn't define you or ascribe you to a certain class and a person with class shouldn't be defined by their economic status.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    packybhoy, Scotia and Callum McGregor like this.
  13. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Countless people who cherry pick history to bleed their ignorance,arseholes!

14. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Some people just don't like confrontation, especially face to face.

It was in a group, maybe he was waiting for someone else to pipe in, which obviously never happened.

I don't think we should be questioning wether or not he was the hero and shot your man down, he has posted it in the 'Things people say that leave you gobsmacked" thread, it's clear what his opinion on the matter is.

Markybhoy likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well that's the reason I asked. I was hoping to open up some dialogue about what to do in that situation, as I've read saying nothing is just as bad as encouraging those views.

16. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Wouldn't agree with that view, but see the logic. I know what my reaction would be, but it has to be taken on a case per case basis.

If someone was a bit shy and reserved and some throbber built like Brock Lesner started spouting nonsense, I wouldn't think less of them for not saying something, especially in the situation described earlier. Everyone is different.

If it's racial directly towards another race, then that changes it a little, it's not just 'chat' between friends/associates. I think most people would struggle to bite their lip, but you'll always get folk who just hate any sort of confrontation. Heard loads of stories about folk walking past people seriously in grief and ignored them, only to be outed publicly and hugely embarrassed.

Just watched a video earlier of a drunk lad who fell asleep in an underground sleep walking onto the track and a bloke clearly sees him doing so and doesn't help the * up. Baffles me, but some people just don't get involved.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yeah fair enough, there are so many different personality types and some people are just much more introverted.

ourdaywillcome! likes this.
  18. Aidan O’Shea

Would you have challenged the guy on it? I’d probably have told him I disagreed with him but that’s it.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Of course. First thing I would have said was that one lazy black guy doesn't mean all black people were lazy, and I'd have laughed at the suggestion that Dembele was lazy too.

20. Aidan O’Shea

I’d probably have said that blacks aren’t lazy in general, and that Dembele just appears lazy.