1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Things people say(in person) that leave you gobsmacked

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Markybhoy, Mar 1, 2018.

Discuss Things people say(in person) that leave you gobsmacked in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Markybhoy

The South Africa thread got me thinking back to something that happened to me on Sunday. Which led me to thinking about this subject. People probably at times say things on forums or social media that they wouldn't say in an actual face to face conversation. At the very least they would probably tone the wording down a bit.

But what things have people said either to you or around you that have left you gobsmacked?

It can either be serious stuff, funny stuff, whatever.

So I'm standing outside the boozer having a * with my mate on Sunday after watching the game. These two guys come along. We get to talking about the match and about players etc. We start talking about Dembele. Three of us give our thoughts on Dembele - how good he is, what's up with him etc. Usual football chit chat. The fourth lad hasn't said a word yet at this point. At this point he decides to make his contribution. It goes as follows "Dembele's a lazy *. Coz he's black." My initial reaction was pretty much the following............

[​IMG]

I said "That's a bit controversial!"(hoping he would laugh and say he was just joking). The guy comes back with "Not really. I work with one of them and they are * lazy."

The conversation pretty much fell to pieces right there. Nobody really knew what to say after that. Was pretty awkward and totally unexpected. Haven't heard someone say something like that for quite a lot of years.

2. Aidan O’Shea

Haha that is pretty awkward. I recall drinking with a Jamaican and a Nigerian in London a few years back and the racism they used to fling at each other (“Africans are lazy, stupid and smell” etc.) was incredible.

A guy recently at the pub went into a bit of a rant about the Jews. It was articulate and he had clearly thought about it a lot, raised some historical and contemporary points etc. but the calm and intelligent way he presented himself made it all the more shocking.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You didn't challenge him on his views?

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    At my work a couple of months ago, received an email from a worker who was having a problem with a record management system we use. Now, emails within my work and this particular project are usually very professional. She was explaining the situation and she typed

“...and then the system just totally spazzed out”

I stared at my screen for a few seconds open mouthed thinkin “you can’t * say that!!” Still can’t believe it.

Seems it’s used often in the US but to me it sounds pretty offensive.

5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Yeah i hear American programmes and movies saying handicapped a lot. Just stands out a mile to me. I’m not overly PC but that word is so crass and tactless.

Johniebhoy. and Marty McFly like this.
  6. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

When I was in school two black girls were * around and writing on people with black markers, when someone got a marker of their own and went to get revenge they screamed the class down, a teacher who was a proper old lad been there over 20 years told them to shut up complaining because if the marker got on them nobody would have been able to see it :56:

the type of jokes you see online all the time but most are afraid to say it in real life for fear of being labeled racist, they put in a complaint about him but everyone else in the room said it never happened, they were livid when even the other black lads in the class took the teachers side.

Buster likes this.
  7. Markybhoy

I wouldn't have found it offensive but yeah, not very professional. :giggle1:

8. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    At the zenit game at parkhead there was a guy 10 rows or so behind us waving a saltire the guy directly behind us was * ragin “wur an irish club no a scottish club, get that flag tae *”. Guy was as Glaswegian as they come tae.

Bayern Bru and Aidan O’Shea like this.
  9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    This wee burd laughed at the size of my *.

I was so outraged i said stick yer cheese burger and large fries ya cheeky cow !

Mr Shelby, Pablo87, Cena and 4 others like this.
  10. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    * everywhere.

Johniebhoy. likes this.
  11. Markybhoy

Was it a burger van or McDonald's?

12. Murph-E

I was seeing a girl a year and a half ago who said she "supported Brexit because it's about leaving the EU with Turkey joining, they want to join to get in and bomb and kill everybody. My sister told me." 23 years old and that's exactly how she phrased it. I'm still mates with her now and try not to think about it.

Not too long ago somebody I know angrily referred to a gay fella I know as a "* *". Not totally unexpected but hearing it used so angrily and seriously was weird.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    @Markybhoy ^

14. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Fair play to him.

Devlin, Bobo_, KRS-1888 and 5 others like this.
  15. Sween

I lead a very boring life nowadays, in a bubble surrounded by non-thickos. So Im going back years to think of genuinely shocking stuff I heard in real life.

Uni was an eye opener into the way people from other nations speak to each other. They arent constrained when it comes to opinions on race and religion in the same way we are.

I remember playing for the pakistanis in a game of football against the indians and the language they used to talk to each other shocked me at the time. Had I uttered a word of it I would be booted out.

Or a friend of a friend from Bahrain absolutely ripping on a pakistani guy who tried to get him to go to his mosque outside our library. They were both muslim but Bahraini muslims seemed to really hate pakastani muslim. Actually so did Jordanians and Tunisians and most other muslim groups! Again, the language they used was outrageous by our standards

Or the opinion of pretty much any chinese person ive met (here and in china) of black people in general and the weird racial hierarchy they have in their heads.

None of it offended me as I dont take offence at anything really. But it did surprise me. It reminded me how sensitive we are as a nation to stuff like that - and that was 15 years ago!

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  16. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Girl I was working with during my last clinical placement was just an absolute *. The type to say things without thinking about it, no filter whatsoever. Don't have one particular instance where my jaw dropped but just the little things she'd say everyday that eats away at you.

6:30 in the morning, sits next to me before our shift "How are you".. not bad yourself... "yea not bad"... (i look back down at my phone as I'm not really up for conversation but I'm not trying to be a total * about it)... "nice conversation, you guys are lovely to talk to in the morning", gets up and leaves. No * etiquette or sense of politeness. The nurses on the unit hated her as well, always aggressive towards them or trying to do things her way. No professionalism at all.

17. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Ive heard a lot of that from all types, grown men/women spouting utter ill-informed *.

“Isis?? Just wipe them off the map, nuke syria.”

When you challenge them about the hundreds of thousands of innocent men women and children that would be murdered, you get a typical response of “well they shoulda though aboot that before hiding terrorists”. Or “they wid dae it tae us”.

18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I've been with people at work the days after attacks over here genuinely say "we" should just go over and bomb their schools. I would like to think they no longer say ( or think these things) but more realistically they probably just don't say them around me

19. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Horrible mate, some of these folk are otherwise normal decent people, but just seem so detached from thinking of these people as human beings.

The media plays a massive part in that i beleive.

ChrisMoh and StPauli1916 like this.
  20. Aidan O’Shea

The Chinese (in China, at least) are some of the most racist folk I’ve met.