1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Dáibhí, Jul 13, 2014.

Discuss The Wrestling Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Finn Balor

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tonight's WWE RAW takes place from the Verizon Arena in North Little Rock, Arkansas as the Road to WrestleMania 33 continues.

Tonight's RAW will feature an appearance by Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman. No other matches or happenings have been announced for tonight.

WWE is focused on the following points for tonight:

* Brock Lesnar is back

* Meet the new “faces of Raw” - Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens

* Can Bayley and Sasha Banks attain retribution against Charlotte Flair and Nia Jax?

* Neville aims to claim his crown at Royal Rumble

* Who’s in the Royal Rumble Match?

4. Priest

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Kurt Angle to be inducted into WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2017

It’s true, it’s true! Kurt Angle will be taking his rightful place in the WWE Hall of Fame’s Class of 2017 just two days before WrestleMania 33, as first reported by ESPN.com.

“Kurt Angle’s accomplishments both in the Olympics and WWE were extraordinary,” said WWE’s Executive Vice President of Talent, Live Events and Creative Paul Levesque. “He was one of the most gifted athletes to ever enter the ring, and we are honored to welcome him into the WWE Hall of Fame.”

Before becoming a legend of the squared circle, the proud Pittsburgh native was a world-class * competitor, becoming a two-time All-American and a two-time NCAA Champion while wrestling for Clarion University in his home state of Pennsylvania. His incredible * career culminated at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, where he fought off the incredible pain of a “broken freakin’ neck” to win the gold medal for the United States of America.

In 1998, Angle made the jump from * to professional wrestling by signing with WWE. One year later, the gold medal grappler made his debut at Survivor Series 1999, picking up the first win of an undefeated streak that saw Angle capture the European and Intercontinental Championships. His unbelievable rookie campaign culminated at WWE No Mercy in October 2000, where he defeated The Rock to capture his first WWE Championship.

Though his wrestling ability was unparalleled, Angle adapted to the entertainment side of sports-entertainment better than anyone could have expected. Whether it was preaching his “three Is” – intensity, integrity and intelligence – taking part in a five-second pose with Edge & Christian or joining “Stone Cold” Steve Austin for a backstage sing-along, The Olympic Hero was able to make the WWE Universe laugh when he wasn’t wowing them with his athleticism.

By the time he left WWE in 2006, Angle had become one of the company’s most decorated stars in a short period of time. His resume includes four reigns as WWE Champion, a World Heavyweight Championship, the WCW, United States, Hardcore, Intercontinental and World Tag Team Championships. In addition, Angle was the 2000 King of the Ring and even served as General Manager of SmackDown.

In honor of these accomplishments, along with his incredible contributions to the WWE Universe during his storied career, Angle will be enshrined in the WWE Hall of Fame.

Tickets for the 2017 WWE Hall of Fame Ceremony will be available starting this Friday, Jan. 20, at 10 a.m. ET. For complete information on how you can see Kurt Angle take his place in sports-entertainment history, visit Ticketmaster.com.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Kurt Angle, the 1996 U.S. Olympic gold medalist who performed for WWE from 1998 to 2006 as a six-time WWE world champion, will headline the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2017.

Angle received the news Monday afternoon that he'll be inducted as part of a ceremony to be held on Friday, March 31, as part of the WrestleMania 33 weekend festivities, at the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida.

While the news is likely to catch many pro wrestling fans off guard, considering Angle's standing with WWE since his departure, no one was more surprised than the decorated former * who also won two NCAA Division I national championships during his time at Clarion University.

"I was shocked. I've been out of WWE for a long time and out of touch with them so I didn't really expect this," Angle told ESPN.com. "It's a huge honor. This is the only Hall of Fame that I'm not in and probably [the one] I want to be in the most. This is the one that means the most for me. I had a lot of fun entertaining the fans for seven years with WWE, and I'm glad that my hard work paid off."

Angle, 48, spent 10 years with rival TNA after asking for his release from WWE in 2006. His post-WWE career was littered with legal issues and well-documented problems with substance abuse, though he's been clean for the last three years.

Asked to describe his relationship with WWE executives Vince McMahon and Paul "Triple H" Levesque over the past decade, Angle laughed before saying, "There wasn't one." But he went on to describe their breakup as mutual.

"It was one of those things where when I left WWE, it wasn't on bad terms," Angle said. "It was just that I couldn't do anything for them anymore because I was banged up and they couldn't do anything more for me. I never felt ill will against them. It wasn't like a nasty parting, it was just our time is up. You go your way, and I'll go mine."

Angle said he spoke briefly with Levesque last May, where the seeds were planted for an eventual reunion of some kind with the company. But an immediate follow-up call never came, causing Angle to doubt his chances.

On Monday afternoon, Levesque made the call himself to break the news regarding the Hall of Fame.

"I figured they either decided they didn't want to do anything with me or they forgot," Angle said. "Hunter said they never forgot and he called and told me this is the first thing they want to do. And whether I wrestle or not after this -- which is irrelevant right now -- I'm just really proud to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.

"I gave a lot of energy and time to WWE those first seven years, and I'm grateful that they recognized it."

Angle admitted he had difficultly watching the current WWE product in recent years, not knowing if he was going to one day return. Although his WWE contract runs through the Hall of Fame ceremony, Angle said Monday that his new deal does not include a WrestleMania match.

"We have not talked about any wrestling," Angle said. "Whether we do or not, that remains to be seen... There are no guarantees. I think right now the most important thing is the Hall of Fame -- and I think both sides feel that way."

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Finn turned up at Progress Wrestling C42 on Sunday

Tommy End also made an appearance going against Jimmy Havoc.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brock on the show should be good.

10. dmccourt95

What a start

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

and watch them * up. :56:

12. dmccourt95

They always do, not enough stars to last 3 hours

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Raw is good one week * the next.

14. Div

Can't be bothered with this tag team match

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

time to end this feud.

16. Finn Balor

Raw started so well aswell. Mediocre show every week now.

17. Finn Balor

Gallows and Anderson have been made to look weak ever since they came into WWE, it's been utter bullshit for them! The sooner they get the titles the better, for the good of Raw. Raw is quite short on bodies as it is and they've got Sheamus and Cesaro, two really talented wrestlers, wasting their time in the tag team division when they could be getting a push as singles competitors, Cesaro especially - he needs to change that gimmick though!

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tonight's WWE SmackDown and 205 Live will take place from the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tennessee with more hype for the Royal Rumble.

Announced for SmackDown is Jerry Lawler hosting his "King's Court" segment, plus a steel cage match with SmackDown Women's Champion Alexa Bliss defending against Becky Lynch, and a look at the shopping trip with Carmella and James Ellsworth. 205 Live will feature Jack Gallagher vs. Ariya Daivari in an "I Forfeit" match.

WWE is focusing on the following points for SmackDown in their official preview:

* Who will win the historic SmackDown Women’s Championship Steel Cage Match?

* Shane to kick off SmackDown LIVE with a huge announcement

* Will Ziggler keep his cool as "King's Court" returns hosted by Jerry "The King" Lawler?

* Internal turmoil threatens the future of The Wyatt Family

* Can The Miz rejoin the A-list?

* What will result from Carmella taking Ellsworth on a shopping spree?

WWE.com has learned that Commissioner Shane McMahon will open SmackDown LIVE this week with some very big news. Under the leadership of Shane-O-Mac and General Manager Daniel Bryan, Team Blue has simply thrived. Although we are not sure what he has to say, the announcement will no doubt take SmackDown LIVE to the next level. Is it possible that the man in charge has something up his sleeve for the Royal Rumble? Which Superstar, or Superstars, will the big news concern? Tune in tonight at 8/7 C on USA Network to find out.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  19. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    SKY showing the 6-2 game against deadco before Smackdown :brendy::brendy::brendy:

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

wonder what the announcement is.