1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TimFloyd Gold Member

Hmm I’m going to side with the gym owner (I’m assuming he is) on this one.

If you can’t control the weight on the negative rep then the weight you are lifting it is too heavy for you, fair enough maybe on the last rep or two but not every rep for every set.

People who drop weights = lazy/attention *

It also kind of looks like he has previously been warned about this.

neilly1987 likes this.
  2. Nasser

With Dead lifts your not meant to put the bar down gently, it's actually better to drop them as he did when he gets the right point, he even had mats puts down to keep the noise down. Every gym I have been they make far more noise than this guy doing dead lifts, even the women make more noise. The guy just attacked him mid-exercise, which could have given him a serious injury and the push as well. This video has got a lot attention people are really angry about how the lad was treated.

jj81 likes this.
  3. TimFloyd Gold Member

I didn’t say put down gently I said put them down in a controlled manner, the guy in the video is doing half reps.

Have you read starting strength by Mark Rippetoe? Aka the bible on barbell training?

No trainer worth their salt advocates dropping the bar from waist height.

It’s bad gym etiquette and unnecessary abuse of gym equipment, maybe get away with that in pure gym but someone who maybe invested their own money maybe see different.

I worked in my old mans gym and on a couple of occasions had to go out and buy new equipment costing hundreds of pounds because people lift too heavy and drop the weights, weights and bars aren’t damage proof

4. TimFloyd Gold Member

Granted the guy kicking the bar out the kids hands was bang out of order.

neilly1987 likes this.
  5. Nasser

Pushing him as well, it's all way over the top.

Twisty likes this.
  6. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Liked this comment before I watched the video because dropping weights does my nut in. Obviously the other guy is pretty intense and a bit ott.

7. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Slamming the weights down = deserve to get lobbed out. It’s worse when * do it with the cables, the ping off the slates is unreal. Fly’ing their 20kg plates and then letting the weight go from arm length, it does my head in.

8. jj81

He is a client of Pete rubish ( champ powerlifter) and he said he was told to use mats next time he deadlifts which he does , this is something youd expect in puregym and other commercial gyms , the guy is bang out of order for kicking the bar down mid rep and should've waited until he was done, that could have resulted in a bad injury and even more so if wearing straps

9. jj81

It's normal to drop the bar fast when deadlifts, some gyms don't like it or let it happen so this guy shoulda said that instead of telling him to use mats

10. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

My gym has an actual deadlift section. Got deadlift bars and big * off mats etc but it’s still annoying.
    Absolutely nothing on the ‘cable slammers’ though.

11. jj81

Yeah agree on that , a slow negative on them as it's mostly bodybuilding

12. TimFloyd Gold Member

After a bit more digging it turns out it is a commercial gym (performance fitness or something) and the angry dude is just a member? * :giggle1: put your headphones in and concentrate on your own business.

If he is a client of Pete Rubish you would think he would be training at a powerlifting gym? Still I’ve seen powerlifters train and they can still set the bar down in a better manner than this kid.

Anyway regardless the guy that stopped him is a massive * anyway.

13. TimFloyd Gold Member

24 hour gym pretty much two mins from my door opening soon

[​IMG]

CalgaryBhoy likes this.
  14. TimFloyd Gold Member

Embarking on my first proper bulk today.

Ideally would like to cut a bit more fat but I’m sick fed up of cutting and training sucks at the moment so time to jump back on and lift heavy.

Aiming for 3k cals a day at the moment as my maintenance is around 2.7k keeping carbs moderate and try to keep fat gain to a minimum.

Lots of oats,chicken,rice,sweet potatoe on the horizon

Will see where i am 4 weeks from now and make adjustments.

jj81 likes this.
  15. TimFloyd Gold Member

Ffs didn’t realise how difficult it is to eat 3000cals it clean food in a day.

Having to pretty much force chicken down now :giggle1:

Aidan O’Shea and CalgaryBhoy like this.
  16. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Kind of protein powder is everyone using ?

Just been back at the gym for about 3 weeks now. Using chocolate truffle predator, but going to get some gold standard. Any better recommendations ? Don't like myprotein or bulk powders. Don't think they taste decent and mix that good.

17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think Gold Standard is pretty much the best isn’t it? Maybe just their marketing but I’ve always held it in high regard without ever trying it :56:

I used to use USN Pure Protein GF-1. It was excellent.

Switched to myprotein to save some pennies and just get on with it, agree it isn’t best quality.

18. TimFloyd Gold Member

I use myprotein, thinks it’s decent.

Tbh I don’t think I’ve used any others, don’t see the point in spending more than you need to with it.

I don’t really drink shakes either, I tend to add protein to food, like making chocolate porridge or adding it to Greek yogurt

19. JC88

You should try PhD Smart Protein powder - it makes the best protein porridge in my opinion; it gives it the same texture of a brownie.

I think it's mainly designed for proats, and baking - it's a bit grim in a shake.

20. jj81

It's hard mate and I'm on a lot more lol

Quick cals I have in morning , roughly 700cals to 1000 depending how much you put in

Blender

1 or 2 scoops oats depending your cal goals
    2 scoops they
    1 table tablespoon peanut butter
    Milk , full fat if more fat needed
    1 or 2 bananas
    Extra virgin olive oil optional to bump cals and fats

Fire some ice in there , cheaper than any bulk protein you can buy that's loaded with sugar