1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Too tired now. Maybe for her birthday.

Marty McFly likes this.
  2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :brendy:

3. stew37

I go walking a lot, maybe about 20 miles a week, mostly at weekends, and try and get on the excercise bike a few times a week, but went for a run around Maryhill Park yesterday and was * within a minute. * frightening. Need to get back at it more often. Have lost over a stone since start of the year though.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Progress is progress mate.

I was the same when I started back a couple weeks back after not going in 3 months, but can feel the fitness coming back slowly but surely.

I could walk for ages like yourself, but when I start to up the pace I naturally slow, pishing with sweat. Only once you do it consistently will you notice that difference.

Callum McGregor and stew37 like this.
  5. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Think I need help with my diet or lack thereof.
    Through the week I normally have a smoothie with fruit, porridge oats, chia seeds and protein powder and sometines some other mad supposed superfood powders and some home-made cereal bar with protein powder, oats, chia seeds, honey, peanut butter and Nutella. Lunch is a tin of tuna and mayo sometimes with peppers and tomatoes and some fruit and nuts then dinner is chicken either with salad, in an omelette or pasta or rice/quinoa again with peppers/tomatoes then later on I'll maybe have more cereal bar and fruit/nuts. That's just Monday to Friday and I let it go quite a bit at the weekend.
    Ma maw walked in on me trying on clothes yesterday and said my belly is all swollen due to malnutrition like the kids you see on charity adverts and that I'm cutting years off my life.
    I'm reluctant to increase my calorie intake too much because I don't think I work hard enough to stop it all turning me fat in a hurry.

6. TimFloyd Gold Member

That sounds like a fair bit more than 1000cal per day if that’s a typical day of eating, are you tracking all the food you eat on something like MyFitnessPal?

Pasta/nuts/oats/honey/peanut butter etc are all very calorie dense foods.

This morning I had chocolate protein porridge
    60grams of oats
    250ml semi skimmed milk
    30g chocolate orange protein powder

That in itself is nearly 500cals

So first port of call would be to track every single thing that goes in yer gub for a few days and find exactly how much you eating.

Work out your base metabolic rate and total daily expenditure on a calculator such as https://tdeecalculator.net/ although not set in stone this gives you a rough guide of what someone your height/weight should be consuming.

If you are consuming x amount of calories and it’s way under your tdee and you are worried that ramping it up would lead to fat gain then gradually week by week up it by a couple of hundred calories and your body will soon adjust.

The key is tracking food and being consistent with it.

In regards to the swollen belly thing, it could be a number of things tbh mines is sometimes the same and if I really exhale it looks like I’ve a fair old gut lol

If you are really concerned about it go see a doctor and or ask for a full blood work or go to www.medichecks.com and order blood work that way, check your thyroid function, test/estrogen/cortisol levels etc etc

Marty McFly and neilly1987 like this.
  7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I can have a belter of a pregnant belly sometimes when I’m bloated

Might need to throw some stomach vacuums into your training too.

neilly1987 likes this.
  8. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

The 1000 calorie figure I quoted is probably way off. Basically just going from what I can see on packets and not checking sauces or having a recipe for the cereal bars and just chucking stuff in. It is all pretty small portions though. Got a kitchen scale so will start being a bit more meticulous and see if that helps. Not concerned about the stomach thing just surprised at the way she reacted over it. Would be more concerned I'm developing some sort of deficiency from eating the same foods constantly.

9. TimFloyd Gold Member

Yes start weighing and logging everything on MyFitnessPal, you can scan the barcode and it will fill it all in for you and you just adjust the portion size.

After a few weeks you won’t need to be so meticulous because you said (like me) tend to eat the same foods all the time so you start to kind of know what’s in what food really but it’s still good practice to keep track of calories as it’s so easy to go over.

From the food you posted it looks a pretty well balanced diet tbh probably more balanced than mine, ok Nutella not exactly the most nutritious food but if it’s in small moderate amounts and fits in with your daily calories then it’s not really an issue.

Aye my maw is the same with the giving diet/nutrition advice, sees me popping pills/caps/supplements etc then without even knowing what they are saying about worrying about my health while she sits drinking bottles of wine every night and smoking 40 * a day, aye ok maw got ye :giggle1:

StPauli1916 and neilly1987 like this.
  10. TimFloyd Gold Member

I really need to start doing this was watching a few videos the other night on it.

Need to start doing a lot of things but I just go in the gym lift heavy * and leave, some times I’m a bit pushed for time though.

I feel bloated when either too many carbs or not drinking enough water.

Marty McFly likes this.
  11. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Haven't been hitting the gym consistently this week. Caught a nasty cold that's taken the wind right outta me, put me in bed for a few days straight. Finally getting over it now, but I know the first few days back this week are gonna kill. Still looking forward to getting back into a normal rythym.

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Couldn't be arsed with the gym today after a heavy weekend but went for a walk along the canal instead, cracking day.

10 miles, just over 1k calories burned. Took me just under 2hrs 45 at a moderate pace, about 25k steps. Happy with that for today...beats knocking my pan in on the treadmill. :56:

StPauli1916 and CalgaryBhoy like this.
  13. Smithy

Trained legs this morning before work. Chest or shoulders tomorrow morning. Finally got round to booking a summer holiday tonight, 3 months to get in better shape, visible abs is the goal

14. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Home from work, into the man cave. Workout app open and ready to go, warm up completed.

And I just can’t be arsed at all.

Sacked it :54:

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Stop being a wummin and get grafting you shlaaag!

16. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Canna be arsed mate. Scunnered

17. TimFloyd Gold Member

Finished work early was going to go to the gym, hit East Kilbride and traffic was non existent so thought * it blast down the road while I can and go out a run down the beach or something.

After a trip round Aldi and a couple of other things finally got in and can’t be *.

Marty McFly likes this.
  18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Must be the day for it

TimFloyd likes this.
  19. TimFloyd Gold Member

I’ll try make it up for it tomorrow morning at the gym.

Have managed to keep the diet in check this week which is a bonus.

20. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off