1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate TC Male Grooming Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Marty McFly, Mar 29, 2018.

Discuss The Ultimate TC Male Grooming Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TimFloyd Gold Member

Wouldn’t recommend hair removal cream, keep it on a tad too long it will easlily burn.

I learned the hard way...then went for a sunbed.... then I really learned the hard way, felt like my nuts were tearing off skin every time I moved.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  2. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Pop into your local Turkish barbers and ask they will happily help you out :50:

The67Sound and MagnificentSeven like this.
  3. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Normal veet is sound but the sensitive stuff will burn the baws clean off you. Had to rinse it after about 30 seconds. Shaving them is far too risky, nothing scarier than cutting yer bawsack.

MagnificentSeven likes this.
  4. horseshoe

Might be worth taking a look on ebay for gillette guard, it's a decent single blade cartridge they make for asian markets but don't sell in the west because they've got everyone sold on the 3/5/19 blade ones for daft money, they'll never introduce it here because they'd be doing themself out of business. It's a cheap * plastic handle, almost disposable quality, but the blade/cart is solid, you can get one for less than £2 so it's worth a try, then if you like it you can get the carts by the hundred for around £20.

You don't need more than one blade to get a good shave, it's all marketing. Even those delivery services that are cheaper than the famous brands are still taking the * with that.

Marty McFly likes this.
  5. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

That's a slippery slope.

Starts of with those razers. Next thing you know you've shelled out £100 on Ikon Slant heads, or more on Feather cut throats ...

Probably cheaper staying with cartridges :56:

6. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    Funny that as I can can only use 2 blade razors. Using G sensor excel, but getting harder to get

Have you a link by any chance. Googled it and a few came up. Mind found a funny newspaper headline ‘Gillette spent fortune on Indian razor forgetting country has no running water’ lol

7. horseshoe

Oh that ship's sailed for me, not spent that much on a single item but I'm on double figures for safety razors (and soaps and aftershaves) but the gillette guard is the only cart that I still own a few of, it works if I'm really pressed for time that I can't have a proper shave.

If you're a cart shaver nothing comes close to it in price, outside of poundshop gear I imagine, but I've never tested them.

Fontaine likes this.
  8. horseshoe

This article gives a pretty good rundown (along with a wee gillette history lesson) and it's from 2010 shows how long they've been making these and still don't sell them here, because people are sold on the more blades are better marketing.

https://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/11/11/sleeping-with-the-enemy-the-gillette-guard-razor/

9. TimFloyd Gold Member

Just read that after the last post.

Interesting reading, seen a pack of 96 for £22 on eBay will give them a go, will be handy for travelling

10. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Nice one man! Love the Fitjar creams. Not sure if you've tried those out?

11. TimFloyd Gold Member

How long does a small tub like that last?

I use this stuff to shave https://uk.lush.com/products/shaving/prince it’s the only thing I’ve found that doesn’t make me feel like my face is burning.

I shave my head and face so go through quiet a bit.

12. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I know the stuff from Lush. Had a nosey when in with my girlfriend - that pot should last 6 months (give or take) but it depends on how often you shave.

Have a look at this
    https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk...gPf5J6hJM_YsIbsv0uQCatwiPgQhRxixoCjVQQAvD_BwE

It's a bit expensive but you can get over a year from a tub easily. Feels like shaving in the mountains - amazing.

Generally if you have sensitive skin you're better with the creams.

TimFloyd likes this.
  13. horseshoe

Nah, bit rich for my blood haven't tried it, stick with the tried and tested, mitchells wool fat, haslinger, proraso, cella etc. I feel after a certain price you're just paying for the brand, or in some cases a great scent (which is fine if you can afford it) but a 50p stick of palmolive from asda can also give an excellent shave.

My current favourite is razorock blue I picked up on sale last year, the millied hard puck not the cream, it''l last me years in my rotation and it smells gorgeous.

14. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I know what you mean. I just break it down into cost over 2 years (which is how long that tub would last me). All of a sudden it seems like good value.

Always liked proraso green.

15. horseshoe

Seeing the background video on that page just makes me hurt, taking a DE razor to that amount of growth with almost no lather built up, it'd be like tearing the hair out of my face rather than cutting it.

I saw on the last page you've just come into safety razor shaving, I wouldn't buy anything too expensive just yet, til you get your technique down, there is a bit of a learning curve, I've only been at it the last 5 years or so and still remember leaving my face red raw with 90 spots of blood more than once in the beginning coming off of the mach 3.

What products have you picked up to start with, brand of razor, blades, soap, brush, etc?

16. TimFloyd Gold Member

Just bought a cheap Jagen David B30 off amazon and some Astra platinum blades, that came with some soap but haven’t looked at that yet.

fwiw I use a * ton of that cream (probably way too much) every shave and my growth is only every 3 days old at max.

17. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    I'm half cut, no pun intended so will give it a butchers tomorrow. But see trying to get a clean line on you locks or trying to shave above your top lip, it's fu King impossible with the 3-4 blade razors

18. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

Do you boys also like scented candles ;)

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  19. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Prefer the granules you put in the wax melt candle ....

Used to be a stall in the forge market that sold perfume versions, such as lady million, angel etc.

bagforlife likes this.
  20. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I bet the * change their socks everyday anaw. :fear:

bagforlife likes this.