1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Markybhoy, May 16, 2014.

Discuss The Tennis Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Aidan O’Shea

Djokovic is the GOAT. Nobody has reached the level he has when he’s at his peak.

Edit: Nadal still my favourite though.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Could not have put it any better old pal:50:

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Anyone that thinks any other player in history at their peak could beat Fed at his peak should be ignored or maybe laughed at.

Guy is a different animal altogether when he’s in full flow, no one has come even remotely close. Even the grinding defensive PED riddled Djokovic or Nadal.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  4. celts67

5. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:

That is your opinion,but the level Novak is playing at right now is unreal,and he has a winning record against his 2 biggest rivals.Of course Federer is amazing and as it stands he is the GOAT,but for how long? Nadal stopped Federer when he was at his peak on grass for example.
    In my opinion Federer playing at his very best wins indoors against anybody,Nadal beats anybody at his very peak on Clay,Djokovic wins against anyone on Hardcourts at his very best and on Grass,now that is very much up in the air between Federer and Djokovic.
    The amazing thing is Novak could well do the Grand Slam this season,it is very possible and if he does that he is the GOAT in my book.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s not just my opinion, it’s the opinion of the vast majority of people that matter most. People within tennis.

cidermaster likes this.
  7. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:

Yes i am well aware of that old Bhoy,but Novak is having a new peak,in 2 years from now it will be very interesting to hear their opinions then.I am a big Nadal fan and have alot of time for Federer as well.I really thought Nadal was going to win on Sunday.However the next 3 Grand Slam events are going to be very interesting indeed.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  8. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It's why I love Murray, don't take this the wrong way but I pished myself sore the first I seen him at Wimbledon. Here was a guy who just walked out of an Irvine Welsh novel. The only 18 year olds still wearing a full trackie we all knew were the guys who would get yer carry out on a Friday night when you were 15. Then he started taking eppies during points missed giving it full on Renton outbursts in the poshest place in English sport.

But when Scotland is good at something, especially tennis ffs sure as fate this world class Scotland player just happened to be born at the same time as probably the three greatest players the game will see, without doubt the greatest era of the sport and we'll never see such competition again.

Most folk would take that like a kick in the balls and lose all confidence and ambition but the fact he just kept focused and more determined and started reaching finals then won Wimbledon twice, it is one of Scottish sports greatest moments. That sinking feeling, he said * that sinking feeling, I choose life! :notworthy

cidermaster likes this.
  9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Federer by such a margin I can't even believe folk discuss the possibility of who might be the GOAT. Even if he doesn't end up with the most trophies it means nothing, there is no player in history, or at least we have video evidence of, totally changed the way the game is played and he could only do that because he has easily the widest range of shots in the game.

Nole is the great defender, no doubt about that and I've already said he's top 3 for me and Nadal too, Nadal is probably the most determined and mentally strong player the game has seen.

They produce great tennis, Roger produced beauty.

Callum McGregor and PaulM1888 like this.
  10. Markybhoy

As thing stand, I still am of the view that Roger Federer is the GOAT. However, if Novak reaches 20 Grand Slams(perfectly feasible if he stays clear of injury) then I think it's just silly to deny that there is a conversation to be had about who is the greatest. I don't care how much some people don't want to hear it or acknowledge it, at that point there would be a solid case to make for Novak being the best of them all. He's not there yet but his case grows stronger with each success he has. For me, he has already surpassed Nadal. Only one man stands beyond him.

Aidan O’Shea and cidermaster like this.
  11. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:

Novak might,i say might do the Grand Slam this season,if he does that,then the question is more than asked.

12. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Yes Murray,what a player,what mental strength with brilliant play,a Scot indeed making world class tennis shots!!!
    Remember in 2008 he beat Nadal in the semis of the US Open(perhaps stopping 4 in the row at the time),went down to Federer's 5th straight US Open,his last US Open,who would have thought that at the time.At first there were doubts,could he get over the line and in 2012 he did,that US Open win put him in Scots Sports Star dream time.
    Yes a Scot won 2 Wimbledon Singles Titles!!!!!!! Now we just need that other Yes.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Lol I seriously think it won't be long till England votes Yes. They haven't forgotten that ABE comment :56:

Aye it was quite amazing mental strength to do that. Must admit I had doubts. Some amount of pressure on him when that happened.

He's got the best lob in the game I reckon.

Just to be awkward I'm going to add a probably totally irrelevant analogy. If The Beatles had 20 no.1 singles and then One Direction got 21 no.1 singles would you start watching the X Factor again?

I think for sure Nole is going to win 20, the shape of his body is totally AI, he must put a lot less stress on his joints than the human bull Rafa.

cidermaster likes this.
  14. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Nadal was beating peak Federer before Nadal even reached his prime. Nadal was beating Federer as a teenager. By the end of 2006 when Nadal was just coming out of his teens he had a 6-3 head-to-head record vs Federer. By the time 2008 ended Nadal's record over Federer was 12-6, he had 4 victories over Federer that year including the absolute mauling in the French open final. Federer was still only 26 at the time which is roughly when a tennis player is truly getting into his peak years. Even by 2014 Nadal's record over Fed was 23-10, with it narrowing to 23-15.

So the question is here, is when was peak Federer, was it before 2004? Did his peak years just happen to end when he was still in his early 20's and just as a teenage Nadal emerged?

Without injuries Nadal would have not only and even better head-to-head record over Federer but he'd have also well surpassed his number of slams by now.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Federers peak years were when he stayed 237 consecutive weeks as the best player in the World whilst winning 20 Grand Slams, reaching 30 Grand Slam Finals, 10 consecutive and then 8 consecutive - the 2 longest streaks in history. Most Wimbledon’s including a world record 65 consecutive wins on grass over 5 years, most hard court Slams and tournament wins including a 56 game win streak, only player to win 2 Grand Slams 5 consecutive times, living in an era of the greatest clay court play who will ever live he’s won a French and been in 5 Finals.

He is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best tennis player who has ever lived. Pure, natural, class and talent.

Dundee United have never been beaten by Barcelona, head to heads are a footnote to the conversation.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  16. Aidan O’Shea

This is so inaccurate. Peak Djokovic takes peak Federer.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

:56:

Peak Murray beats peak Djokovic. Pre-PED’s.

Murray will have more Grand Slams when he’s eventually caught. It’ll be worse than Lance Armstrong.

18. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ooft, a reply as beautiful and deadly as the Federer backhand :notworthy

19. Aidan O’Shea

Part of me kind of hopes you’re right!

20. Aidan O’Shea

Federer’s backhand isn’t deadly, always been his weakness.