The Scottish National Team Thread

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by \o/, Jan 25, 2012.

Discuss The Scottish National Team Thread in the Scottish Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Tierney at right mid? Have you taken another funny turn?

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Not really right-mid, wing-back, Scotland are * so whoever plays the wide positions will mostly be defending.

Hutton needs binned and out of Tierney and Robertson, Tierney would probably be more suited to playing on the opposite side as Robertsons more of a kick the ball and run in straight lines and cross player, Tierney probably more comfortable at cutting back onto his left to cross or at dribbling past players, less one footed than Robertson in short.

I dont rate Anya although if they did play 3-5-2 its more likely he'd be picked there.

Then again I recall Strachan played O'Dea at right-back once at Ibrox so if he'd do that there should be no problem playing Tierney there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  3. The Celtic Way

did i just say you were the smartest poster :56:

4. McGuire Gold Member Gold Member

Your * mental :56:

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Full-backs have played on the opposte side for decades, dont see whats so mental about it although left footed players at right back is much less common - probably only due to there being less natural left-backs. Only guy who I can think who dont it recently is Adriano of Barcelona has played a fair few games at right-back for them despite being left footed.

If Scotland have 2 decent left-backs and no right-backs then theres nothing wrong with it.

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    So are Guardiola and Luis Enrique then...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. PaulM1888 Gold Member Gold Member

How many times have you seen KT play right back, right wing back, right mid or right winger?

8. McGuire Gold Member Gold Member

He's never a right wing back in his puff. In fact I'd say Robertson is far better suited to it, and i wouldn't be fast in throwing him in to that position..

9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    None, first time for everything though.

I think Tierney would be the more suited. When he's played for us he's showed good ability at running inside or outside opposition players and using his right to control the ball, he is also i'd say quicker footed than Robertson for beating players and even a lot stops on the ball and cuts back or tries to dribble through players into the box from the corner.

Robertson is the one I could never see playing on the right tbh as he I only ever see running down the outside of players kicking the ball and running, not really carrying the ball close to himself to allow him to cut inside or outside players and mostly crossing from running positions rather than stopping to cut back and take players on or anything.

10. Officer Doofy Hey Terry, smell my finger! Gold Member News Writer

11. McGuire Gold Member Gold Member

I don't agree with that at all mate. Asking Tierney to attack on the right, I just cannot see the comfortability in that for him whatsoever. He's also a superb slide tackler, and on the right, doing that best with his wrong foot doesn't fit for me..

Robertson I don't think is either, but he'd be more suited than Tierney. Could imagine him being like a Matthews on the left, but with the other foot on Scotland's right..

12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I could, for me Tierney runs with the ball nicely, he keeps it close and under control and he also uses his right foot when running with the ball compared to Robertson who runs in the style of knocking the ball on and running with his 1 foot similar to Hutton, Bellerin, Clichy, Alba, Agathe and players like that, I could never imagine players like that playing on the opposite side as they wouldn't have the ability to go on the inside or outside of players becuse they don't control the ball well enough or don't use their weaker foot which they'd need to to stop the ball to cut inside or try and dribble past people. I think Tierney would be much more comfortable playing there than Robertson.

Im also near certain that Tierney sometimes played wide right of a front 3 for them youth team, like where Roberts plays atleast a couple of times. Like that game http://videocelts.com/2014/11/blogs/late-double-from-henderson-and-tierney-sees-off-motherwell

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  13. McGuire Gold Member Gold Member

:56::56::56:

I love you mate. If I could stop laughing, I'd try and debate the point :icon_mrgreen:

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I honestly think the same of you as well here though, like how could you think Robertson would be better playing on the right than Tierney.

Tierney for me is clearly the more skilled dribbler with the better weaker foot.

15. PaulM1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Not with the National team there isn't.

It's not a place for experimenting and Rodgers isn't daft enough to play our outstanding left back at right back.

16. McGuire Gold Member Gold Member

My nuts frazzled here bud, I canny stop laughing :56:

17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Worked for Danny McGrain :fear: he pretty much never played at left-back for us but probably played near half his games there for Scotland.

Callum Patterson is one of the worst players in the SPL, he'd make Broadfoot look skilled, so when he's playing there for Scotland other options must be tried first.

18. PaulM1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Danny McGrain was a midfielder up until he was in the first team squad, he'd played allsorts of positions through the youth ranks. Bit different to a guy that's been a left back his entire youth and first team career.

Also, the only reason he was shifted was to accomodate a Hun. Because although Jardine was good, he wasn't a better right back than Danny McGrain.

19. .Zander. Gold Member Gold Member

ITLC, give up while you can :smiley-laughing002:

20. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The current best Scotland side at the moment for me would consist of something like....

1 Gordon
    2 Hutton
    3 Robertson
    4 Martin
    5 Mulgrew
    6 Brown
    7 Morrison
    8 Fletcher
    9 Fletcher
    10 Snodgrass
    11 Maloney