1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ronny Deila Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Glasgow_Bhoy88, Jun 6, 2014.

Discuss The Ronny Deila Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Greenman King of kings

People still arguing about this?:56:

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Ronny Loyalists...

If that isn't trolling I don't know what is.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yes I do think we look stronger defensively but we still have weak points that can and have been exploited. As I said, Deila wasn't good enough overall. I just think there's a discussion worth having that he wasn't some clueless moron. Don't understand why people still feel the need to stick the boot into him.

Rodgers deserves credit but he has also had a couple of humiliating results in Europe.

Deila didn't lose many games domestically. His record was similar to Lennon's if I recall correctly. As I said, he ultimately wasn't good enough but he's certainly not useless.

4. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Rodgers has had one truly humiliating result in Europe, it was his first competitive game on a * pitch and was still getting to know the team. He's the only manager in our history to get to the Groups stages the first time of asking, to even speak of Rodgers and Deila in the same breath and compare them is laughable.

I don't think Deila was useless but most of the time he seemed tactically inept,had no plan B other than try plan A again and was extremely stubborn in his ways when it was clear it wasn't working . One instance that really annoyed me was when he tried to force Boyata into a ball playing defender when VVD and Denayer left, I said last season on here that if Boyata is going to be played then he should be told to keep it simple and not to try wonderballs out of defence so much (like Rodgers is doing just now funny enough), now if I could notice that and Deila couldn't then it just shows the level he was at.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    KRS-1888 likes this.
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Comparing the two is natural, considering one is the others successor. Rodgers has flaws too, even though he's a far superior manager. My point is simply that, Deila doesn't deserve the abuse he gets from our fans.
    I agree with everything you say here.

6. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I get where you are coming from I would say the only flaw Rodgers' teams have are that the defence can sometimes shut off, he was the same at liverpool but i'd take a Rodger's defence over deila's any day of the week. But in every other sense Rodgers is on another planet, i'm sure i'm just preaching to the choir right now and you know.

I agree that Deila shouldn't be getting abuse, there is literally no point to be arguing about a guy who isn't Celtic manager anymore but I do think a lot of people play devil's advocate when the subject of Deila comes up.

7. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    It's hardly abuse. It's just criticism. It's not like we were sharing his number around facebook encouraging fellow Celtic fans to abuse him.

Ronny had our clubs best interests at heart no doubt but it's hard to deny his reign as manager was nothing short of miserable.

Rodgers stepping in and transforming the team, more importantly the players themselves (Armstrong, Boyata) in not even one season puts how poor of a manager Ronny was into perspective.

He spoke a big game about fitness and this healthy eating regime yet we had players on all fours against deadco in extra time. He couldn't even get that right.

8. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Describing his entire reign as miserable is an exaggeration.

There was 100% a feel good factor amongst the fans about the club under Ronny during the latter part of his first season. Robbed of a treble and relatively unlucky not to qualify for the last 16 of a European competition.. I'm sorry but no Celtic fan should be describing that as miserable.

The second season was fairly miserable, that's true. Horrendous in Europe, gutless in both cup semis and lost too many games in the league given the opposition. There was still the occasional sign that Deila could get us playing good football (8-1,7-0 wins) but unfortunately for him it wasn't consistent enough for Celtic.

I think there's a good manager in Deila, what Rodgers has done is fairly irrelevant as we all know he is a level above.

Sturm Bhoy, Nowhereman and PaulM1888 like this.
  9. Hail_hail6767

He's quite frankly a * manager.

10. aliceinsound

its funny because you hear people down south say that about brendan rodgers. i think both statements are unfair

I think so much of it is about how much respect you can command in the dressing room and to the board, i have a feeling brendan rodgers has more control over signings at celtic than ronny did.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Yes but he's improved as a * of a lot and most of the individual errors have been cut out. He's improved players in an indivdual and team level immensely. We look far more secure.

Personally I don't think I'm sticking the boot in, just given my opinion when I feel people are rewriting history and are hailing him as something he's just not.

Senna s1979 likes this.
  12. HailHoopy

Wonder how Ronny will get on at Valerenga? And what they're expecting of him, surely they won't expect more than a europen place, not as though they'll challenge Rosenborg or anything.

I'm thinking Ronny might do better with a team when there's not as much expectation, be interesting to see what he's learned from his time with us as well.

13. Cupid Stunt

Felt we never got the rub of the green or that little bit of luck you need to win big football games at times under Deila. His time here could have been very different minus several individual errors and some absolutely shocking refereeing in Scotland and in Europe. Ultimately it's all worked out for the best in the end but I certainly wouldn't wish him anything other than well and hope with the right backing and team he'll be a success somewhere.

14. James Gold Member Gold Member

Talked the talk couldn't walk the walk.

Senna s1979 likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Like I said, overall Deila wasn't good enough, but he wasn't clueless and his entire reign wasn't miserable.

Don't think I've seen anyone claim he's something he's not tbh. I already said he wasn't good enough overall.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That's probably where we disagree then mate :50:

17. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    Maybe, but I would struggle to pick out any memorable moments from his reign. Even the win against the huns left me wondering why we took our foot of the gas and didn't set out to pump them like we should have.

People are putting to much emphasis on his europa league run, a run that would never even have happened if it weren't for Legia * up. And even then, it was a step back from what our club expects and needs and had for the two seasons prior, champions league football.

As people have said in the past he was basically another Tony Mowbray, except Mowbray had competition in the league that ultimately got him the sack a lot quicker

The Greenman likes this.
  18. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I hope that is sarcasm...

19. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    Probably not, Sean's the biggest troll there is.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    In what way?