1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The return of the 'British spine'?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by straighttalker, May 27, 2019.

Discuss The return of the 'British spine'? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    I remember Lennon in his first tenure stating the important of having a 'British spine' throughout his team, will we see that again, more British players? British based players are at a premium these days than in 2011, especially with the successes of all the other national teams. H

I'm not against it, but I suspect we lose a bit of that continental flair we had with likes of Dembele, Ntcham (who i don't see here past this summer) and we get closer to the O'Neil Strachan way of physicality, rough and tumble and the dreaded long ball.

2. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

It’s already there with Bain, KT, Brown, McGregor, Forrest etc. We will no doubt bring in a few more physical players for the defence and up front though.

littlekennie and StPauli1916 like this.
  3. rickyroma25

Couldn't give two * about the nationality of the spine. Just get some quality in.

4. Murph-E

In his 2.5 years here, Rodgers started Gordon, Tierney, Brown, McGregor, Sinclair and Forrest in almost every game, and gave plenty of time to Christie, Armstrong, Griffiths and Roberts.

5. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Transfer rumour

6. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Sorry wrong forum, should of been in celtic chat :42:

7. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I don't recall our Irish manager insisting we should have a British spine.

clonbhoy and neilly1987 like this.
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Would rather a spine of Van Dijks and Wanyamas myself.

Nationality doesn't matter to me. As long as the quality is there.

Tommy25, The IRA, shaunbhoy67 and 5 others like this.
  9. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Erm, the 'British spine' we've had in the last few seasons has served us quite nicely. and I'm not too sure how many of them would be classed as rough and tumble or long ball in style.

The likes of McGregor, Forrest, Roberts, Christie, Armstrong, Sinclair have all brought plenty of 'continental flair' over the last 3 seasons, have they not?

Lennon isn't a long ball manager, either, that feels like a lazy stereotype. His teams were/are more direct in style than Rodgers' was, though, and it wasn't too long ago people were on about his Hibs team being the most exciting side in the country.
    He did always like a 'presence' in his teams, though. Wanyama gave us that, Van Dijk gave us that. He also signed Marvin Bartley at Hibs for that reason, too.

Liam Scales and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Bartley was at Hibs long before Lennon.

11. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
  12. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    I think his team's previously were very much inspired by MON and GS. Rodgers teams worked in a much different way and were adapted more to the modern game (all be it his players weren't all the right calibre to replicate it on the European stage) where asLennon's teams worked well to a point but the hope is that he has evolved those ideas from his last tenure to fit in with todays game , obviously referring to euro football not domestic.

13. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    The more changes made to the team the longer it takes to settle and gel , work to be done in the transfer market but weve just won 3 trebles in a row with the likes of Sinclair,Brown,Forrest,McGregor,Rogic,Tierney.No guarantees of replicating the success weve had next season again with another treble.

14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Here here old chap, jolly good show. :90:

bagforlife likes this.
  15. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Didn't Ronny and The Fraud have more of a British Spine in their teams than Lenny in his first stint?

16. Murph-E

Yep, and the MON team was by far the least Scottish, with only Douglas and Lambert starting regularly during his first 3 seasons- though he did also start Hartson, Thompson and Sutton regularly. I don't really think it matters too much and don't think we'll play any more than we did under Rodgers, which was a pretty large %

17. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
  18. leeso-ardoyne

Doesn't matter to me where they come from as long as they have the desire to run through brick walls to play for my team then that's all that matters!!

bagforlife likes this.
  19. Mr Diggler

We have a strong spine at the moment. Not fussed on Bain mind you- wonder if Big Fraser fancies a move back. But we have KT, Ajer, McGregor, Brown, Rogic, Forrest and Eddy. If Benkovic comes back on loan add him in too. That would leave a keeper, a right back and a left winger as spots to fill. A centre back if Benkovic doesn't return. Not too much to be done and the spine of the team is very good. Maybe Shved will be a bit of a wonderkid and by all accounts he looks very good. Added to that back up like Jozo, Christie(maybe even a starter), Griffiths and academy guys like Ralston and Mikey with utility men like Bitton we look quite strong.

20. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

You're right, was signed by Stubbs it seems. Nonetheless, he liked that physical presence in his side and would often use Bartley against physical sides like Hearts.

martin_d likes this.