1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rugby Union

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jozo The Provo, Nov 8, 2014.

Discuss Rugby Union in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    They were missing both locks iirc for the Chicago match (along with a few others) and it really showed, Retallick and Whitelock are a phenomenal combo both at the breakdown and generally. Aaron Smith's off-field dramas put the kibosh on him and he bombed big time, Perenara stepped up to the mark fairly well at 9 but isn't quite at the same standard yet.

They did exceptionally well for what was essentially a transitional year, losing 800+ caps or whatever it was was always going to have an impact regardless of how well their succession plans were. One of the hallmarks of the last couple of years was the way they'd go to the bench just before the midway mark of the second half and transform the game with subs, very few teams could live with it. They simply don't have the depth any more, though they'll build it up again. Lienert-Brown is going to emerge as a crucial piece of the puzzle going forward into the next World Cup cycle.

Having what should be on paper a very strong Lions touring next year will be the perfect way to sharpen things up and get some quality games in, with the way South Africa are going downhill the Rugby Championship doesn't offer up the same level as it did a while back, although Argentina will hopefully keep improving. Just wish I'd put my name in the hat for the ticket ballot, will have to be content with the couch and a few beers.

SouthCoastCelt likes this.
  2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

With the win over Australia to round out the year it means Ireland have beaten all 3 major southern hemisphere teams for the first time ever in one year.

3. SouthCoastCelt

I'm on the road so no communications for the last couple of days (currently sitting in a bar in Sydney) - I have to say, that was some win for the Warriors the other day. To beat a team like Racing 92 is magnificent. Last years finalists, currently top of the French league and not been beaten at home for over two years (until f***ing Saturday :notworthy). This is the Barcelona of rugby - a team that has Dan Carter, Leon Nakarawa, Joe Rokocoko & Juan Imhoff plus loads of other international players in their ranks and to beat them is unbelievable. But it was the way they won as well, lots of passion, resolute in defence and imaginative in attack.

Immensely proud of the lads. Mon the Warriors. :60:

Creativecelt and Mr. Fawlty like this.
  4. SouthCoastCelt

They've only gone and done it again, this time at home and far more convincingly. 23-7 and Racing only got the consolation 7 point try in the final minute. Finn Russell bossed both matches.

The reports suggest it was a brilliant defensive game. Really quite excited by this young Warriors team - hope they can keep it up.

5. SouthCoastCelt

6. SouthCoastCelt

38-0 :notworthy

If Glasgow win this, it's the first time that a Scottish team will have won at Welford Road in 111 years :eek1:

Edit: Final score 43-0 Quite amazing!!

:party22:

Worthy of the the disco guy

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  7. scootz

Superb performance.

Utter domination!

SouthCoastCelt likes this.
  8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Leinster, Munster and Glasgow all through to Rugby's version of the Champions League Quarter-Finals after this weekends final round of group stage games.

9. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Was squinting between the Spurs v Man City and the Glasgow game on Saturday in the pub.

I rarely watch club rugby and more likely to watch International instead. I know Leicester were a good team a while back, so was quite surprised by the score line. I take it Leicester aren't the rugby powerhouse they once were??

Even still, to granny them is some achievement.

10. SouthCoastCelt

Quick (ish) answer. Leicester are one of the power houses of English rugby, a club with loads of history dating back to 1880. They have (had :50:) a bit of a fortress stadium in Welford Road (capacity 25,000 + which is very big for a club rugby stadium) and the current team has about 10 internationals in it, including about 5 of the England team - currently the second best in the world. Their budget is at least two and a half times that of Glasgow.

They're currently fifth in the Premiership but have had a recent bad run of results, I think they've lost their last five after a decent start to the season. They have never finished out of the top six in that league since it was formed in the mid 90s.

Glasgow winning there the other day shouldn't be understated, and they way they did it was the most impressive thing. I hate the thought of another false dawn for Glasgow or Scotland so I'm staying quietly optimistic for the moment.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Looking forward to the 6 nation's starting next week..

12. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    I am more than pleased on Glasgow getting to the last 8 of Europe and i think at long last Scotland are going to have a really good Six Nations!! And for a very pleasant change we will win our opening fixture!

13. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Good tournament for Scotland at the Wellington 7s, through to the semis after beating England 14-12 in the quarters. Facing Fiji though so will probably get beaten.

14. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Scotland beat Canada 28-22 in the bronze playoff.

15. lockerbie-bhoy

Like the 6 nations- rugby players these days are like f'ing tanks. Even the scrum halfs are huge in real life

16. Aidan O’Shea

O'Mahony and Sexton out for Ireland's opening match against Scotland.

17. Aidan O’Shea

I'm so excited for this.

18. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Big upset win for Wales at the Sydney sevens, beat Fiji 28-15.

19. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    There's lovely .

20. lockerbie-bhoy

Mon Scotland