1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

"The PLC"

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Rosleabhoy, Feb 21, 2014.

Discuss "The PLC" in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. EndThePLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry & Sean South
    It’s not based on the Teams performance that’s the thing. Regardless of how we do on the Park he gets all the salaries and bonuses.

This is from the same guy that stated at the AGM it wasn’t in the interest of the Football Club to acredit the living wage.

But many on here insist he isn’t cynical :56:

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

*, thought that absolute * minimalist had been unbanned there when I seen he’d posted on the previous page.

Spring Time likes this.
  3. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Nothing wrong with campaigning against modern football or asking rich owners to actually back the team. Currently they are being way too frugal for us to progress in Europe or play the football we expect at Celtic.

4. Sween

He is certainly an expensive chief exec measured against both other football clubs and against companies of a similar size to celtic outside of football. £2m a year is more than the average ftse 250 chief exec and those companies are bigger than celtic.

In the grand scheme of celtic profit and losses, it isnt that big an issue. But he has certainly got a very good deal for himself.

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye in the P&L when it’s a good year it gets the profit down and the Corp tax!

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Pay peanuts, employ monkeys.

There’s a reason Lawwell and Rodgers are heavily incentivised in their roles - football is no different to anything else, don’t pay them appropriately and they’ll go work elsewhere.

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think we are being ran very well. When you consider the league we are operating in and the way modern football is going, I have few complaints

I do think we should be looking to spend a bit more on players, particularly in this window. We shall see what happens on that front.

When it comes to the likes of Lawwell, I always feel that it might be a case of you don't know what you've got till it's gone. Very glad he is on our side.

8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said i do feel he is overpaid for our league but I dread the day he leaves!

Mr Shelby likes this.
  9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Tbf to PL, I think he refused to take his bonus one season..

We are being run well no doubt, but is every penny of profit invested in the football club or making the football club better?

If we the fans were the major shareholder we wouldn’t take a dividend on our shares and ensure maximum money is spent..

We could still employ the likes of PL, but would have much more say in the way the club is run..

10. EndThePLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Staggering opinions in here on the basis that people think without Lawwell we would be worse off. Says everything when people think Lawwell is this exclusive accountant and without him we would be in financial ruin. Nothing more than sensationalist nonsense.

11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    No mate he defered it for a year he still took it the next year.

I don’t think every penny in is reinvested in the squad but certainly in the club.

People are going to take their dividend I take mine it’s not a lot but it’s always a nice wee bonus every year.

12. EndThePLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm surprised if there's any truth around this.

We are being run for the PLC and PLC only it's our legal obligation, outwith that we are doing nothing.

Spot on.

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Good post mate..

He isn't perfect and has * me off at time's but there is no doubt whatsoever that we've been well run for where we are..

If he would've left for an Arsenal or Liverpool (for more money by the way) when he was being courted.....we could very well of been in worse shape today..

The board and power's that be in general have faults but not many from a footballing and business perspective at the minute barring spending a few more quid on improving the first team..

14. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Welcome back minimalist wev missed you xx

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I can see that argument but there are positives with the current structure as it is. With the likes of Desmond and O'Brien on board we will be well connected with the business world and that has undoubtedly helped us maximise sponsorship deals in recent years.

Also the immediacy they can access substantial funds eg. 94 when McCann came in or latterly when Desmond underwrote the majority of the 2005 share issue, something that wouldn't be possible through fan ownership.

In my opinion Desmond has been superb for us, thankfully the majority of shareholders see that as exhibited by only 3 votes against him for reelection at the recent AGM.

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    That's what it comes down to for me as I say. Would like a wee bit more investment on the playing front. However at the same time I'm realistic with what I can expect.

The stadium, hotel plans, Celtic way development etc etc are all signs of our standing. People talk about progression in Europe and I don't think any of us would want anything but that.

However football is changing and has already done so massively. It is going to be extremely difficult to compete even if we do up our investment. I dont really have an answer on that front and as a fan can only hope for the best and continue to support the side.

With Rodgers in charge I'm more expectant - in a good way - than I've ever been really. * could be a * of a lot worse.

17. donnegal celt

When is half yearly accounts out

18. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    The board will be waiting for the outcome of the Zenit match, just like the rest of us. If we get pumped out of that, then you will get my thoughts plc ya * *.

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

DD won’t be around for ever, it’s important that the club doesn’t fall into the wrong hands and the only way to achieve this, is us the fans to have a controlling stake in the club..

A fan block of shareholders, like the Celtic Trust is the future imo. I already Proxy my shareholder vote to them for the AGM etc. Their goal is to slowly acquire enough shares to have a controlling stake in the club we love..

DD, PL are fans too.. and have done some excellent work but have also made some really bad mistakes too..

We could still hire the most brilliant people, but we would have much more of say in the direction the club goes..

littlekennie and packybhoy like this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Yep, we are trying to bridge the gap by going down other avenues where we bring in money and or look like a real top class club on the European stage. There's only so far we can realistically go as a club in today's ridiculously inflated game in which we've been left behind due to logistics but....as a club we are improving, from Academy all the way up..

If we don't do any other business on the playing side this month there will quite rightfully be more than grumbles but I'll hold fire with that for now..

They have to be commended for bringing in Brendan and then offering a 4 year deal no long after with a long term vision....despite what pish Minimalist comes out with it was a major major coup that's paid off tenfold. He wouldn't be here or signing a 4 year deal if he wasn't pulling the strings with assurances, which should comfort all Celtic minded people..

Mr Shelby and packybhoy like this.