1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Draft] The People's Choice - Formations and Tactics

Discussion in 'Competition Corner' started by Callum McGregor, Mar 27, 2017.

Discuss The People's Choice - Formations and Tactics in the Competition Corner area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Post your tactics and formations in here. No discussion in this thread until all teams are posted. Use the main thread for that.

When all teams are posted, send in your votes to me via PM.

Rank teams in order of preference for the following categories

Best Team

Best Attack

Best Midfield

Best Defence

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    [​IMG]

My attack has the greatest player of all time, the greatest out and out striker of all time and one of the best wingers who ever lived. Gerd Muller was top scorer in a huge number of tounaments and leagues he played in, including the World Cup. Muller held the record of most goals scored in a calendar year with 85 goals in 1972, which was only surpassed by Lionel Messi in 2012. With 31 top scorer awards/records between them, there isn't a defence in history that could stop my front 4 from scoring.

My midfield is anchored by Claude Makelele, who provides great tenacity and ball winning ability. Xabi Alonso's range and quality of passing is incredible and will be used to devastating affect supplying the front 4, which will allow Rivaldo to occupy the No10 position, utilising playmaking skills along with a goalscoring threat.

My centre back pairing were giants of the game, Kohler an excellent stopper and Scirea an expert covering defender. They were excellent man markers and were also comfortable with the ball at their feet. My full backs are multiple European Cup/CL winners who were excellent supporting the attack with forward runs along with being solid defensively.

My team is very well balanced with great protection and ball winning capability in midfield, excellent passing, a rock solid well organised defence and the most lethal attack in the draft.

The trophy haul:

World Cup: 5
    European Championship: 4
    European Cup/Champions League: 19
    Copa America: 1
    UEFA Cup: 2
    Cup Winners Cup: 2
    League Titles: 52
    Domestic Cups: 53
    Intercontinental Cup: 8
    Ballon D'or: 7
    Top Scorer awards: 31
    UEFA Super Cup: 9

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Mr. Fawlty and Keano88 like this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    [​IMG]

A team which I feel is pretty balanced from back to front.

In nets, a guy who was one of the very best on the planet for around 15 years. Edwin Van Der Sar. I don't need to say much about him, we all know of his quality and consistency (apart from facing up against Nakamura's FK's).

In front of him, two CB's who I feel would have complimented each other very well. The pace, strength and ball playing ability of Lucio, combined with the tough approach and leadership of Passarella. No striker would have an easy time against them both.
    In both full back positions are guys who were ahead of their time. Both Cabrini and Carlos Alberto were just as comfortable in attack as they were in defence, hence why I have them as wing backs aiming to push forward in my formation here.

Every member of the that back 4 has won the world cup.

Moving into the midfield. Fernando Redondo was arguably the best defensive midfielder on the planet for a period of 2 years or so. Still held in high regard by Real fans, his composure, reading of the game and passing ability is exactly what is needed in any good side. He wasn't just a defensive mid though, with him also possessing the ability to drive forward and start attacks if need be. In this formation though, he is there to shield that back 4. Benbarek is a guy I honestly hadn't heard of prior to this draft. However after seeing Pele's comments regarding him, I have no qualms about sticking him in. From what I gather, that box to box role I have him in would not be a problem, as a result of his dribbling ability, stamina, strength, passing and eye for goal. In Michel Platini I have a true legend of the game. Probably France's greatest ever IMO and a guy who could play in any team, in any period. He is the playmaker, the one who you look to when things aren't going well. The midfield would play similar to how Rodgers has ours. Brown role (Redondo) Armstrong (Benbarek) and Platini (Rogic).

As for the front 3, this is where my greatest strength lies. We all know about all 3. In Henry you have a striker with everything. Pace, dribbling, finishing and the ability to lay others off. Ronaldo has everything that Henry has and more. On his day he could not be stopped, simple as that. Then, in Del Piero, you have a creator, someone who is perfectly capable of dropping deeper and linking with Platini in order to further feed that front two. While also providing a pretty capable goal threat himself.

Defence notable Honours:
    25 top division titles
    20 domestic cups
    4 European Cups
    5 World Cups
    2 UEFA Cups
    1 Cup Winner's Cup
    2 UEFA Super Cups
    1 Club World Cup
    Midfield notable Honours:
    8 top division titles
    4 domestic cups
    4 European Cups
    1 Cup Winner's Cup
    2 UEFA Super Cup's
    1 Club World Cup
    1 European Championship
    1 Copa America
    Attack notable Honours:
    15 top division titles
    16 domestic cups
    2 European Cups
    4 World Cups
    1 UEFA Cup
    1 Cup Winner's Cup
    2 UEFA Super Cups
    3 Club World Cups
    1 European Championship
    2 Copa America's
    Notable Individual Honours:
    6 members of FIFA 100
    5 Ballon D'or's
    French Player of the Century (Platini)
    3 FIFA World Player of the year's
    3 European Golden Boots
    1 FIFA Order of Merit
    Total International Caps:

TheHolyGoalie, Mr. Fawlty and Keano88 like this.
  4. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    [​IMG]

My attack is based around one of the greatest ever club & international goalscorers in the form of Puskas and one of the greatest and most influential players in the history of the sport in the form of Cruyff, with World Cup maestro and master of dribble Garrincha marshalling the right flank.

One of the greatest South American players of the 70's and 80's, Zico, dazzles in midfield; a prodigious goalscorer. Alongside him sit two of the great Dutch midfield generals in the form of modern tactician Gullit and the metronomic Neeskens, bringing important balance to my team's spine.

My defence is based on the cornerstone of Ajax's European success in the form of the Vasovic-Blankenburg partnership, very much defenders in the modern ball-playing mould. The versatile and powerful John Charles holds down the right side whilst Paul Breitner provides a bit of mercurial artistry and wing support for Cruyff on the left, not to mention a booming shot for a bit of a deep goal threat.

Sepp Maier commands his box and helps distribute the ball to launch counter attacks.

Titles:

4x FIFA World Cup
    3x UEFA European Championship
    1x Olympics

19x European Cup
    3x Cup Winners' Cup
    1x Copa Libertadores
    8x Intercontinental Cup
    7x UEFA Super Cup

8x La Liga
    19x Eredivisie
    10x Bundesliga
    6x Serie A
    5x Yugoslav League
    5x Hungarian League
    5x Brazilian League
    10x Brazilian State Championship
    2x NASL
    1x J.League 1° stage

41x Domestic Cups

International:

586 International Caps
    242 International Goals

Individual Honours:

5x Ballon d'Or (1x Le nouveau palmarès)
    3x South American Footballer of the Year
    7x FIFA 100 Members
    3x FIFA Order of Merit recipients
    3x UEFA Golden Player
    1x IFFHS Top Scorer of the 20th Century
    1x L'equipe European Player of the 20th Century
    1x German Goalkeeper of the 20th Century
    3x FIFA World Cup Golden Ball
    1x FIFA World Cup Golden Boot
    4x FIFA World Cup All-Time Team
    8x FIFA World Cup All-Star XI

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  5. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    1490684738683.jpeg

Tommy Gemmell will score the winner with a 30 yard screamer.

6. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    [​IMG]

Completely unstoppable left side and rock-solid defense (610 caps in them alone), with a crazy goalscoring threat up front.

Ballon D'Or: 1 (Romario)
    UEFA Best Player in Europe: 1 (Beckham)

World Cup: 7
    European Championship: 4
    Copa America: 2
    Confederations Cup: 2

CL/European Cup: 16
    EL/UEFA Cup: 1
    UEFA Supercup: 1
    Club World Cup: 2
    Intercontinental Cup: 5

League Champions: 56
    Domestic Cups: 38

Caps: 994

Keano88 and Marty McFly like this.
  7. Keano88

image.jpeg

66 Legue Titles
    80 Domestic Cups
    20 European Cups/Champions League
    3 UEFA Cup/Europa League
    2 Cup Winners Cups
    12 Super Cups
    6 Club World Cups
    5 European Championships
    4 World Cups
    1 Copa America

Mr Shelby and Marty McFly like this.
  8. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    [​IMG]

In goals I've got the legendary Lev Yashin, the first and to date, only goalkeeper to win the Balon D'Or. Yashin played for Dynamo Moscow his whole career and won numerous Soviet league titles with the club. He also played 74 times for the USSR, winning both Olympic gold in 1956 and the inaugral European Championships in 1960.

My defence is made up of two of the hardest CB's to play the game, 'Il Colonnello' Claudio Gentile and the rock solid Sergio Ramos. Both played a key role for their countries World Cup victories in 1982 and 2010 respectively. Ramos also adds a major goal threat from set pieces, notably scoring important goals for Real Madrid in 2 CL finals in recent years. The two Brazilians Maicon and Maxwell complete the backline sdding dynamism and width to the team. Both have an enviable trophy cabinet, particularly Maxwell who has won an extraordinary 35 major honours in his career.

The peerless Andrea Pirlo will play at the base of my midfield diamond. One of the finest talents of his generation with a penchant for extraordinary free-kicks, his passing qualities will complement the drive and attacking prowess of Frank Lampard and Lotthar Matthaus. Both these midfielders have remarkable goalscoring records at the very highest level of the game.

At No.10 is a player who needs no introduction. Diego Armando Maradona, arguably the greatest of all time. Considered to be more * than man in his native Argentina and in his adopted city of Naples.

Upfront, two forwards who lit up Serie A when Calcio ruled the footballing world. Forget the terrible injuries and penalty mishaps, Roberto Baggio was one of the true greats of Italian football, starring for Fiorentina, Juventus, Milan and Inter in his prime. 'Il divino codino' led Italy to third place at the home World Cup of 1990 and as runners up four years later in the USA. Arguably didn't win the medals his talent deserved, often being in the wrong place with the wrong manager. He however won the adulation and respect of the footballing world.

His partner up front is the man known simply as ShevaGol by fans of AC Milan. In his day one of the finest finishers in football, he led the line for the Rossoneri for 7 years, in that time winning the Balon D'Or, Serie A title and the Champions League. Nowadays he manages the Ukrainian national side after a brief and unsuccessful spell in politics.

9. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    IMG_3548.jpg

Good guy

Keano88 and Callum McGregor like this.
  10. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    [​IMG]

10 Ballon D'ors

You score 5 we score 10

11. Mr. Slippyfist

12. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Not putting the fancy arrows in lads this team only head one way .... Forward !! .

Goalie, if youse saw Packy you know what a safe pair of hands he was , never flustered or bullied in his own six yard box and a brilliant shotstopper.

Fullbacks , Evera was a two footed player and could play right or left so this allows me to play Keiron in his naturally strongest position . Two of the best tacklers in the game wont be beat for pace either , so no matter who you guys have as wide players you cant go round them so this forces youse inside .....
    ( both players being able to get forward and cross decent balls in is a bonus also )

Centre backs , Tardelli & Sammer having already scared the * of your forwards are moving forward to mop up whatever you guys have sent up with ease. Two of the worlds best centrebacks with an abundance of pace and ability wont break sweat and will stroll through the games , also both are adept at coming up for corners and free kicks into the box and score goals as well .

Defensive holding midfielder , De Champs was the rock for France's world cup win. Screening the back four , breaking up attacks and moving the ball forward to attack there was no better. Always an out ball for a team mate and very rarely wasted a pass .

Midfield Four , Well guys your attack is nullified , your midfield unable to get forward because they are too busy back helping your ragged defence shellshocked by the four I'm sending forward .
    Right and left Larrson and Bellamy too quick footed for your fullbacks and easily going round , coming inside and with a lethal shot in them far too good for your beleaguered centre halfs . Both fantastic free kick takers ( and there will be plenty of them as that's all youse have in your cart horses trying to stop them ) and laying balls on a plate for my striker youse are fooked. playing inside these two are two of the best inside forwards ever to play the game Dalgleish and Seedorf I'm actually feeling sorry for youse now. GOALS GOALS GOALS !!!! ang nothing youse can do about it .

Striker , as if the other ten are not bad enough for you I'm throwing Linneker in , a proven goalscorer where ever he played right foot left foot headers he had it all and all the pace to burn not that he'll need it mind after the mid 4 have rogered your cobbled together defences Letal Linneker is through one on ones with your keepers and theres only one out come ...... BOOMMMMMMM !!!!!!!!!!!! Courtious anaw Keano.

thanks for playing lads !!!! too easy.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
  13. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG]

Well they say the best form of defense is attack and thats what I went with

Zoff was a goalkeeper of outstanding ability, and he has a place in the history of the sport among the very best in this role, He holds the record for the longest playing time without allowing goals in international tournaments (1142 minutes) s With 112 caps, he is the fifth most capped player for the Azzuri and captained them until the was 40 year old.

My back 4 have a fantastic goal scoring record between them and protected by Viera who can dominate that position and pop in with goals required. All time celtic great Paul Lambert playing a central left midfield role

The font 4 can score goals for fun. They have amassed over 800 goals between them in their careers.

14. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Cheers whoever moved it in the correct thread, saved me the legwork :50:

15. This Charming Man

16. Moustache

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Select Honours List:

Links to the players Wikipedia pages:

Aymeric Laporte

Didi

Djalma Santos

Edgar Davids

Eusébio

Juan Román Riquelme

Luís Figo

Manuel Neuer

Nílton Santos

Pavel Nedvěd

Roberto Ayala

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Keano88 likes this.
  17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    packybhoy likes this.
  18. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    [​IMG]

Keano88 likes this.
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    All teams are posted. PM me your votes.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

Here, can I just pick any team I want based on my formation from the other thread?

@Minty