1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official GAA thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Gabriel, Dec 6, 2014.

Discuss The Official GAA thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because no Dublin do not have anything to prove in terms of being the best team in the country. You saying so is your opinion which of course your pretty right to have. But I am pretty sure Dublin are happy with the 5 All Ireland titles in the last 7 years and 5 National League titles in the last 6 years. All the crying about Dublin playing games in Croke Park was remarkably absent from 1995-2011 when Dublin won the square root of nothing.
    Dublin are without any doubt IMHO the best team in the country the only issue they have to prove is are they the greatest team of all time in GAA football history.

2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    A tough one there for Monaghan to take not seeing that out against Kerry. They deserved to win it but they really did blow it big time in those final 5 minutes.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Nice win for Dublin up in Healy park against Tyrone. Despite Tyrone's trying to limit Dublin's ability to pass and keep the ball by reducing the size of the field the result was never in any doubt. In fact what struck me most was just like against Donegal I felt that Dublin were playing within themselves and had another gear or maybe 2 which they could have gone up.

4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Absolutely unreal how bad the GAA have been on the Miller charity game. This should never have been an issue from day 1. Their behaviour has been so reprehensible that even though it now looks like common sense has arrived belatedly at GAA HQ the bad taste over this will not go away.
    I should also mention that of the 80m euro spent in the redevelopment of Pairc Ui Chaoimh 30m came from the government so this claim that they have the right to only allow their games at their stadium is the height of cheek considering how much of the costs were borne by the taxpayers of Ireland. I am pretty disappointed really that the Minister of Sport was seemingly not on the phone to GAA HQ reminding him of that 30m and letting them know if they want state funding in the future this kind of rubbish needs to stop.

Seosamh Máirtín likes this.
  5. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Of course their happy with all their wins so were the huns were their 9 in a row. It still does not negate from the fact that it is not a level playing field. Dublin had a good win in Omagh but for the first time this year they looked vulnerable, asingle score in the end up. Had they played in Croke Park it would have been an easy win in another stroll to an all Ireland. in all likelihood they would have beaten Donegal in a neutral venue but maybe a little more uncomfortably.

Dublin are the only team in the super 8s to play to teams in the same venue. The venue where they play all their home and league championship games. While it does not mean Dublin are not the best team in the country it does give them an unfair advantage and embellish their star.

1995-2011 is brought up regularly. Do Dubs really expect teams winning all Irelands to complain about the losers having an advantage. Do you seriously believe that during this era Dublin were disadvantaged playing in their home county in a pitch that they play in more frequently than any other team????

6. Aidan O’Shea

The hurling at the weekend was fabulous.

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Absolutely unreal how bad the GAA have been on the Miller charity game. This should never have been an issue from day 1. Their behaviour has been so reprehensible that even though it now looks like common sense has arrived belatedly at GAA HQ the bad taste over this will not go away.
    I should also mention that of the 80m euro spent in the redevelopment of Pairc Ui Chaoimh 30m came from the government so this fable that they have the right to only allow their games at their stadium is the height of cheek considering how much of the costs were borne by the taxpayers of Ireland. I am pretty disappointed really that the Minister of Sport was seemingly not on the phone to GAA HQ reminding him of that 30m and letting them know if they want state funding in the future this kind of rubbish needs to stop.

Ok first off up till now we have had a civil discussion and disagreement which is perfectly fine. But you need to back the * off with that huns crap. Dublin are not racism scum who cheated left right and center so take that comparison and go take a very long walk off a very short pier with that *.

As for the Dublin game in Tyrone. Well once again we will have to agree to disagree. Dublin were always in control of that game and like against Donegal they gave the impression they still had a gear or 2 to go up if needed despite Tyrone pulling the cheap but technically legal tactics of making the pitch smaller to try and stop Dublin from passing and keeping the ball. I should add it was also Dublin's second win up there this season including the league win in spring.

As for the long period (you can include even the 80's really when Dublin won only one title in 1983) when Dublin were not doing well yes I would expect if this so called home advantage was such a big issue that other counties would complain after all only one county can be All Ireland champions and its not like Dublin lost in the first round in Leinster so plenty of losers to complain but no not a peep until now when we are watching what may well be the greatest team ever to play the game.

8. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I was not comparing Dublin to the huns rather taking an example of an uneven playing field in sport and this was the first that came into my head. Even now I find it difficult to think of an example never mind one that I know you would also know of.

As for the footballing front I have never actually said that this team would not be capable of winning multiple all Irelands
    outside of Croke Park. In my opinion playing at Croke Park is an advantage for Dublin.

Do you disagree?

Edit:Just had another look at Dublins goal(the difference between them & Tyrone) and certainly had a touch of luck about. Not a comfortable win in my book. Perhaps it depends on how you view the game.

Edit 2:Having thought about it that's not really a good comparison. The huns cheated
    (which I had not noticed you saying in your reply until I reread just now) while Dublins advantage has been granted to them. Apologies for the comparison.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Apology accepted for that comparison which was beyond out of order. Fair enough on that. We will just have to disagree on the rest.

Gabriel likes this.
  10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Great from Monaghan. An all Ulster semi final coming up.

11. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Monaghan on some form. Should be a great game next Sunday no matter who wins tomorrow.

12. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

I think Tyrone are beating Donegal tomorrow.

13. georgiebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Nah

14. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Aye

15. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Aye.

That was easy for Tyrone.

16. Aidan O’Shea

Monaghan for Sam.

Gabriel likes this.
  17. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Gary Neville the *.

18. ThatBhoyLarsson

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings, At the moment Scott Brown, Lustig or Matthews.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of athenry, YNWA,
    Kildare won the u20 all Ireland last week, genuinely one of the best days and nights of my life. First all Ireland since 1965.

georgiebhoy likes this.
  19. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Here's Hoping Monaghan tank Tyrone today.

20. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    At the game yesterday, never witnessed such a * atmosphere for an All Ireland semi before, 50000 max in attendance. Sad state of affairs.