1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Offensive Behaviour at Football & Threatening Communications (Scotland) Bill

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by gunt, Jun 17, 2011.

Discuss The Offensive Behaviour at Football & Threatening Communications (Scotland) Bill in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    While we agree to disagree about whether the idea that the bill is anti-Irish (in a certain sense) is ridiculous, I do agree with you that anyone who thinks the SNP leadership all got round a table like the Republican party in the Simpsons to start plotting about how to target people of Irish heritage needs a reality check. I don't think that absurd idea is what most people had in mind with the anti-Irish comments (though with one or two people, you never know :giggle1:)

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Any comparisons between our supports as a whole (there are obviously individuals in every support that behave in a way that causes harm) are not only wrong, but the source of so many misconceptions about our support (if I only had a fiver for every time I've heard an English person describe us as a Catholic club). Paul67 and I don't always get on, but I thought he put the difference very well the other week.

I don't think that misconception is limited to just England TBH, I think a lot of the Scottish political class just accept equivalence as axiomatic, without ever examining the reality too closely. I genuinely wonder if that is a major factor in how badly thought out the bill was. How can you effectively deal with what is a genuine problem if you base your response on false premises?

ScouseHoops and StPauli1916 like this.
  3. Markybhoy

Nae answer then?

4. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    That's the point mate - when people claim the SNP are 'anti irish', if you think about it logically then that would mean they must believe that there has indeed been some kind of secret meeting conducted to further that agenda within the SNP leadership/Party and that is just ,yep you guessed it , RIDICULOUS :86:
    In fact it's made all the more daft sounding if you spend 5 mins on swallow swallow, as they believe the SNP are setting up Scotland as some kind of Catholic puppet state for the Vatican ffs :rofl:

5. Minimalist

I don't know why you're apologising for fascism to be honest. Lifting people on the assertion of Celtic supporters singing rebel songs is a violation of freedom of expression and while under the arrest is a violation of human rights when these songs have been thrown out of court. If you wan't to some how even try to debate with these facts because you cannot admit it into your own consciousness thats fine plus you wont be the only one who finds that freedom of expression should be censored because it causes offence. If people find a chart song offensive and don't like it because it offends them and should be awarded with arrest then that by its practise is fascism. I fully await you getting all hurt and emotional because you cannot handle that its fascist.

Honestly, I don't know why you're expanding your rhetoric to some how try and educate me that it only applies to "Football Games".. I know this, I have read the act fully in detail. If myself or a fellow Celtic supporter blesses himself at a wish for a penalty to go in and it offends people then yes we will be arrested.

You can watch this clip right here that explains the circumstances in which we as Celtic supporters could get lifted on blessing ourselves from SNPs Roseanna Cunningham

On this clip SNPs Kenny MacAskill specifically states IRA in chanting.

See, you can sit there and say its over the top when evidence points to an agenda from the SNPs own testimony and court appearances. And I bet, judging by your own post you completely deny it.

6. The Regime

Fav Celtic Player:
    Eyal Berkovic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields
    It's absurd to call the SNP antii-Irish............everyone knows they are anti-English.

Time to scrap this piece of * legislation. Have we not learned the lessons of Hillsborough? The shoddy treatment of supporters was was one of the main reasons justice was delayed for so long. For years elites labelled them under-class troglodytes. Nothing but yobs, thugs, and *-heads. When Hillsboroough occured the authorities could rely on these horrible stereotypes to build there lies and smears. That prejudice supported police lies.

Do we really want to portray all our fans as potential criminals? As nothing but sectarian louts? * that. Scotland has a proud footballing tradition and our fans are some of the best in the world. No doubt about it. We shouldn't let the authorities paint a picture that we are all criminals and yobs. It's wrong and as history has shown, dangerous.

ruzzle76 and StPauli1916 like this.
  7. Sween

Why let me try to consciously retort to your verbose blethers...

Firstly, it isnt "fascist", but that is really neither here nor there. Lets just say it is so I dont get all "hurt and emotional".

Secondly, freedom of speech is of course a grey area. But I dont take offence at any football song, nor do I want to see people arrested for causing someone offence. It is silly and impossible to define.

"If you wan't to some how even try to debate with these facts because you cannot admit it into your own consciousness thats fine"

....That literally doesn't mean anything. But personally, I draw think freedom of speech should be limited where it restricts someones freedom to live without fear of violence or oppression. But that isn't a factor here.

As regards Roseanna Cunningham, I completely disagree with everything she says in that clip, but she makes no reference to blessing oneself to make a penalty go in. She stresses context, which I sense you get but deliberately ignore. To put it simply she is suggesting: "blessing yourself to wind up rangers fans = potentially offensive. blessing yourself in general and not to wind people up but to score a goal by divine intervention = not offensive". Either way, she is wrong.

Lastly, I have no reason to deny anything. I am not particularly a fan of the SNP and I think the law is a nonsense. All I said was 1.) it isnt "fascist" (I mean it is in a Neil from the Young Ones sense, but not in a grown up sense). And 2.) It isnt "anti-Irish".

A fantabulous disquisition as always Sir :50:

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

* da bill.

10. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Go man handle the rugby fans!

Sean Daleer likes this.
  11. Norm Peterson

They’d probably enjoy it as well, * weirdos man!

packybhoy likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Watching this just now.

Swear to * though, fast forward to 4 minutes and tell me that isn't KT standing to the right of the banner as you look at it. :giggle1:

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Maybe he is.

16. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Can't wait to give this a watch over the weekend. Folk that attended the screening last night were well impressed.

Share it far and wide

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It's definitely him I'm sure of it. the picture could be 5 years old so it might not be as far fetched as it seems.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Wouldn't put it past him anyway.

19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Gonny look at the * picture and either agree or disagree ya *!

Swear tae * it's hard work trying to figure out if you are a bot or not. :giggle1:

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Fine I agree.

Sean Daleer likes this.