1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Offensive Behaviour at Football & Threatening Communications (Scotland) Bill

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by gunt, Jun 17, 2011.

Discuss The Offensive Behaviour at Football & Threatening Communications (Scotland) Bill in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. gunt

Anyone know if this will be published online and where?

2. gunt

will look myself

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
  3. CelticFC1967

talking to yourself?:56:

4. gunt

5. gunt

may as well. Makes a change from playing with masel:icon_mrgreen:

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  6. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

7. gunt

pretty vague if you ask me. They could have done with listing specifics

8. CelticFC1967

:56::56::56::56:

9. gunt

Its bad for your eyesight Talk Celtic being the only non-* website I have ever looked at. I need to use binoculars with my laptop the now:icon_mrgreen:

10. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Official Club Statement regarding this:

CELTIC Football Club has today issued a statement in response to the introduction of legislation by the Scottish Government on the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Bill.

Celtic Football Club Chief Executive, Peter Lawwell, commented: “Celtic Football Club welcomes the introduction of this legislation. The issues it seeks to address are problems for society as a whole and not just football.

"The type of behaviour intended to be covered by this legislation has no place anywhere in Scottish society."

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=1175

11. albashamrock

Seen this on the news earlier. An article that sums up the link provided by gunt.

Sectarian and offensive behaviour

17/06/2011

New laws to crack down on sectarian and other forms of hatred in Scotland should be in place in time for the new football season after Ministers introduced a draft Bill to the Scottish Parliament.

The legislation seeks to create two new offences relating to offensive behaviour that can incite religious, racial or other forms of hatred, in and around football grounds and on the internet.

If approved, the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Bill will mean bigots will face up to five years in prison upon conviction and the possibility of a football banning order.

The Bill is being fast-tracked through the parliamentary process to ensure the new powers are in place in time for the new football season.

Community Safety and Legal Affairs Minister Roseanna Cunningham, who has responsibility for tackling setarianism, said:

"Racism, bigotry and sectarianism are not welcome in Scotland, it is totally unacceptable, and those who perpetuate this hatred will be punished through the full force of the law.

"These new laws will send out a clear message that there is no place for bigots in a modern-day Scotland.

"From the start of the new season, anyone who peddles sectarian hatred - in any football stadium in Scotland, on the way to or from a game, or hiding behind a computer screen - could now face up to five years in jail.

"The events of last season were unprecedented and they need to be met with an unprecedented response.

"Actions which are threatening, offensive and which incite hatred and public disorder simply cannot be allowed to happen again. That is why this Government is taking decisive and immediate action to ensure law enforcement agencies have the additional tools in their armoury to crack down upon these individuals with full force.

"However, clearly laws alone won't solve this problem and convictions should be the last resort. We need a wholesale change in attitudes amongst those who spout offensive or threatening rhetoric in the name of football. And these new laws need to be supplemented by a united effort on behalf of all involved in football, from the football clubs, fans, police, government, and the football authorities. That is why the Joint Action Group is working to deliver upon the eight commitments agreed at the Football Summit in March. Along with the Bill, this will bring about real and lasting change.

"This legislation is just the start, we are in this for the long term, and we will not hesitate to bring forward further action over the five year parliamentary term if required.

"If we are to rid Scotland of sectarianism, we need to come together as a country and I hope that MSPs from all sides will support this Bill as it progresses through the parliamentary process.

"Sectarianism has huge consequences for individuals who are threatened, major consequences for communities, and it undermines the very fabric of a Scotland that we want to be tolerant, respectful and forward looking.

"Sectarianism is a hate crime, it has got to stop, and it will stop."

Definitions

OFFENSIVE BEHAVIOUR

Intended to deal with sectarian and other offensive chanting and threatening behaviour likely to cause public disorder. The offence covers behaviour likely to lead to public disorder:

Expressing or inciting religious, racial or other forms of hatred
    Threatening behaviour or behaviour which would be offensive to any reasonable person
    Covers behaviour at and on the way to or from a 'regulated football match', which includes league, European and international matches.
    Definition based on football banning orders (FBO) legislation, which means there is the potential for an FBO to be imposed in every case
    Also covers anywhere a match is being broadcast in a public place, and travel to and from such places
    Covers a wide range of behaviours with appropriate penalties up to a maximum of 5 years in prison and an unlimited fine
    THREATENING COMMUNICATIONS

Intended to deal with threats of serious harm and threats which incite religious hatred.

Threats of serious harm intended to cause fear and alarm, or reckless as to whether they do. This includes implied threats (e.g. the posting of bullets or images depicting serious harm)
    Threats intended to incite religious hatred
    It is a defence that the behaviour was in the situation 'reasonable ' -intended to exclude artistic performance etc
    Maximum penalty of 5 years in prison and an unlimited fine
    The offence will NOT:

Stop peaceful preaching or proselytising
    Restrict freedom of speech including the right to criticise or comment on religion or non-religious beliefs, even in harsh terms
    Criminalise jokes and satire about religion or non-religious belief

12. horseshoe

Well it's one thing to have it going through on paper, another to see it enforced.

I'm sure it's still fresh in everyone's memory these muppets having their joke of a summit after our shitstorm in a teacup game and talking big about not tolerating this kind of behaviour anymore, then during the cup final you can hear the billy boys and famine song as clear as day but the police and stewards just stand watching and it's called a great atmosphere.

Not expecting much tbh.

13. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    5 years???? bit much for calling someone names is it not. if everyone that has called me * *, taig scum etc was jailed for 5 years, glenrothes would be a pretty empty place

14. JohnBhoyCfc1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hooper + Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Cant Get Enough + Hail Hail
    Exactly.

15. tommybhoy6

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal, Larsson All Time
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenrye
    I thought sectarianism in Scotland didn't exist (tongue in cheek).

This is such a vague law that it's hard to imagine it ever being effective. The test of 'reasonable' person will be one which the courts will have to draw a line in the sand for.

I for one don't think they would arrest 14,000 Rangers fans if the situation arose (which it did for the LC final).

16. Markybhoy

Moved to Scottish Football section.

17. gunt

There need to be proper independent monitors are big games and the association need to have rules involving points deductions and fines for clubs if their fans do incitement en-masse etc. It has to be the clubs who are hit because its not practical to welly into 1000s of fans. Then it will be up to the clubs to slowly weed out the real hate-filled elements as its in their interests and they are responsible.

18. Artur Boruc #1

They are going to go absolutely loopy with the banning orders, I predict they'll be handing them out left, right and centre.

19. Joe T

i agree. i mean am all up for clamping on the scum who do it, but i wouldnt wish the indocrinated 17 year to be banged up for 5 years.

just shows how out of touch the law is with the population. why didnt they ask those who have been offended by such vileness what they thought the appropriate punishment should be?? i bet less than 10 per cent would say 5 years as at the end of the day its us who pay to keep them in jail.

i mean i hate been called a * but 5years for it is a bit harsh! how about huge fines and use th money to mak them go to classes which are mixed in religion and educate them on why and how these terms are offensive!

20. Aldobaldo

Not even got onto reading the rest of the piece but the wording in the introduction is poor.

An Act of the Scottish Parliament to create offences concerning offensive behaviour in relation to certain football matches, and concerning the communication of certain threatening material.

Why use this wording is my first issue, why not all football matches (which it does seem to indicate).

Having read this through a few times it seems that there is no difference between the current regulations and this new one( bar the penalties). Again only a general clarification no specifics and also the ultimate decision seems to go on the interpretation of behaviour which will be down to the police. Which if they cannot prove in court will lead to a waste of time and money, also the police have mentioned already that this is "something you cannot arrest your way out of".

Which leads to the question, how many people think this will make any difference. I heard that some of the top lawyers are already asking questions.

On the other hand the on-line stuff is a good thing and have no real issues with it.