1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The MLS 2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by seamus1967, May 30, 2011.

Discuss The MLS 2017 Season Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. STLbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Stiliyan Petrov, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I prefer it stay Americanized. We love our tournaments here. The league just gives us something to talk about. Tournaments are when everything is on the line and playoffs are tournaments where you'll only put it on the line against the best.

Can you win when it counts against the best part of the league, or were you the most consistent in beating the bottom dwellers? I prefer the first one to be called Champion.

2. Mr. P Mosh

Embarrassing? Embarrassing the way Toluca approached the match with no urgency at all.

3. aeroshady

Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough!
    My issue with the MLS playoffs is that too many teams make it. The regular season is literally pointless. I used to go to all of the Red Bulls games, but now I only attend regular season games if I have nothing else to do. Same goes for watching on TV.

Hard to care when the majority of the regular season is meaningless.

4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

That is a fair point. Although as the league expands towards 22 teams here over the next few years with New York making 20 next year then Miami and a TBD team coming on board if they keep the number of playoff spots the same that will make things much more interesrting in terms of the regular season games.

5. Farmer

Defoe nets the winner at Toronto's home opener on a * pitch in front front of a rocking crowd.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8gXR-Ymk54"]HIGHLIGHTS: Toronto FC vs. D.C. United | March 22, 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

6. Farmer

7. Farmer

8. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

Love this pic....

[​IMG]

9. Farmer

10. Seosamh Máirtín

Good stuff. Word is Frank Lampard will be heading over, too.

11. IrishNeymar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Sounders are gonna win the cup :50:

12. Nasser

I'm still shocked at Donovan missing out on the WC. Jozy Altidore is is so clumsy I think the US will miss Donovan. I think the main reason he was not picked as Klinsmann does not like Donavon his sons comments were definitely an incite into that with the lack of respect he showed him on twitter. US loss is MLS gain I guess. Dempsey looks good at the moment that Bergkamp style turn he did was slick against Turkey.

13. Farmer

An emotional Julio Cesar says goodbye to Toronto FC before heading to World Cup and then back to QPR. A testament to how emotional he is and how much he enjoyed his time in Toronto. Hope he and Brazil win the WC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0yxuMwxfmc

14. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

"What, I have to go back to QPR? Nooooooo":56:

15. Farmer

Kaka set to sign with Orlando City. Some big signings of late between this and Lampard and Villa heading to NYCFC.

16. Farmer

Tottenham at Toronto. Toronto's second goal is a beauty.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLbNMBTel0c"]Bacardi Game in Six Minutes: TOR v. TOT: July 23, 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

17. Sonny Crockett

Fav Celtic Player:
    Alan Stubbs/Jackie Mac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Billy Bhoys
    Why have yank teams got such * names? :56: la galaxy, la aztecs, red bull, Detroit spinners, San Jose Earthquakes, Chicago Fire.

Do they like disasters FFS. :56: I propose the dallas Jfks and the New York 9/11s

18. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Lampard has some bottle signing for new York after his whole 9/11 fiasco

19. Nasser

I doubt the NYC knew anything about it when they signed him. Must of been awkward for them to say the least. A lot of brushing under the carpet and I'm pretty sure journalists were briefed before he first spoke. I think he did make one comment on it but they did a good job of sweeping that under that carpet. Quite a few fans have said they won't support him but I think the majority will.
    Thing is I can kind of understand Franks reason he was * out of him mind so he was being sick and loud the press also exaggerated most of the what happened to sell papers like when some journalist said he was running down the bowling ally pretending to be a plane lol, you have to laugh at some of these journalists what lies they will tell to sell a paper.

20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

To be fair I think the Chicago Fire name being realated to the Chicago Fire of 1871 is an appropiate name that relates it to the City rather then a generic name like Chicago City, United, FC Chicago or something like that which is meaningless here in the US.

Personally I am more critical of US teams using names that try and make them sound European like FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake or Sporting Kansas City. Those names mean nothing here and I think finding a name that includes a local identity would have been better.