1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The MLS 2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by seamus1967, May 30, 2011.

Discuss The MLS 2017 Season Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Cheers mate :50:

Answered my question and some :smiley-laughing002:

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Hmm, I see where you're coming from. It can't be good for team morale either, having a player come across from Europe at the age of Pirlo or Lampard and them being the highest paid players with all the attention on them. Particularly if those high profile players need to be carried, or protected, to an extent.

They have to really want it as well. Lampard is obviously just there for a nice wee holiday in the US and a pay check. Like Farmer said, Giovinco is the sort of player who will raise the reputation of the MLS. A very good player who couldn't cement himself in a top European side.

3. Dáibhí

He's making over £100,000 per week for doing * all. He ain't stupid.

4. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm not sure he had to think too much to get in this position.

5. Dáibhí

I never said he was smart, but he ain't stupid. If he was stupid he'd be doing pundit work exclusively in the UK, rather than fleecing NYCFC at the same time.

6. Nasser

I bought a lovely D.C United adidas t-shirt the other day cost me near £40 after postage from the States rip off though but nice t-shirt. I can't see the MLS changing the culture of buying name players as they do sell shirts and merchandise and get the media talking about MLS in the states which is difficult in America in such a crowded market for sports competing for coverage. I thought Zlatan may make a move over to the MLS but not sure if that will ever happen now.

7. Zalgiris

MLS definitely would've stepped in with that. I guess Red Bulls called MLS and then MLS called City and told to delete everything immediately.

I remember something similar with Brooklyn Nets / New York Knicks a few years ago, after the Russian owner bought the Nets. The Russian didn't offer a jersey exchange, but he said some things to criticize Knicks and invited their fans to become Nets fans. I don't remember details anymore. The NBA stepped in right away and told the Russian to shut the * up, and I think the Nets might've been fined as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  8. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Do any fans still refer to their club as the Metrostars, or did any stop going when Red Bull took over?

9. Seosamh Máirtín

Why did the Rapids need to save their best for when I left the city? :54:

All the same, they are far and away the most improved team in the country and look like making further waves. Howard will soon be lining up for them, too.

10. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Tons. Most of their online forums and such use the Metrostars name. Many of them assume that they'll go back to that name sometime in the future, they just hold their nose while Red Bull is in charge.

11. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Fair play, hope they get their wish one day.

12. Zalgiris

Metros brand sucks, I honestly prefer Red Bulls.. Metros was controversial too, many people didn't like the name.

They should've just named themselves RB New York, like they named RB Leipzig later. Put the stress on city name.

If they get sold ever, they should find a new brand, or simply go with New York FC.

13. Zalgiris

Or New York United. :)

14. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Empire Soccer Club?

15. aeroshady

Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough!
    All of our chants refer to us as the Metros as well. Love the club. Had a blast laughing at the 7-0 whooping of Man * NY.

16. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A team which doesn't even play in MLS yet just made the best Homegrown signing of the year. Atlanta announced that 15-year old Andrew Carleton will stay with the U-17 residency squad, train with their affiliate in Charleston, and join up with the team when it begins next year. He's rated about as highly (or moreso) as Christian Pulisic when he was the same age, and he's not done too bad in his first half-year as a pro.

17. Dáibhí

It's impossible to tell how he'll do at that age. We've seen the likes of Islam Feruz and Freddie Adu crash & burn after being considered the next big thing.

Once he hit's 18-19 years old we'll have a clearer picture.

18. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Definitely, but I've seen him a few times and he's exciting due more to his understanding of the game. It really is like seeing Pulisic again two years removed from when he single-handedly destroyed a Brazilian youth side and earned his move to Dortmund, where he's impressed. I waited almost 15 years to see a similar prospect to Landon and now I've seen two in three years. It's less about the fact that I'm expecting all of them to mature and contribute to the national team and more to do with the fact that it's simply good that these smaller, more technical and tactically astute players are getting time in the youth system and that it's a role which is being promoted more and more, rather than the likes of early maturers such as Jozy Altidore, etc.

19. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Would scrapping the rivalry cups improve the credibility of the MLS?

20. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    100%. They're * cringeworthy. There are tons of "rivalry trophies" in college football, but they have about 150 years of history to them in some cases. MLS has been a hodge-podge of stealing different traditions from other American leagues and soccer leagues. As they become less self-conscious, these types of things will hopefully die off.