1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The KT transfer really does set a new precedent for us as a club.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Aug 7, 2019.

Discuss The KT transfer really does set a new precedent for us as a club. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. oh bhoy

This transfer sets a precedent alright ,no matter what's at stake or how much money is in the bank we will sell our best players.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  2. leeso-ardoyne

I also agree with this! * up it is but I do now understand why he left

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  3. Keano88

Same boat.

Him performing well there and Moussa smashing it at Lyon can only increase the fees we receive from future transfers too.

We also have a 10-15% sell on clause.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  4. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah mate, it's an awful kerfuffle. Nay need to abuse him.

Sydneysider likes this.
  5. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    i genuinely cant find it in myself to say a bad word about tierney. loved the bhoy and he was a fantastic player for the club. done alot for the fans on and off the field. wore the hoops with pride and gave us all. we ran the poor lad into the ground.

gutted is how i describe my feelings towards it. cant fathom why he would want to be anywhere else for the next to years but you'll only get an offer like that off the gooners once. best of luck to tierney. he leaves as a very good servant to the club and a fan favorite. he could of been so much more.

we are not going to go out and spend money, anybody that believes so has not been paying attention. and hasnt been for a very long time. id love to believe we have 25m in the kitty as a result of losing one of our best players but ive seen this all too many times.

my biggest question is why did we need to wait for kieran to be sold to spend serious money. we have been hoovering up money for years and we already lost half a squad at the start of the window. put the two of them together and you'd expect a stream of new players to be paraded about. decent quality first team players.

this has been going on for years. dont remeber the last time i have ever seen any type of long term planning at celtic. if we have a good window we get screwed over for the next three. manager walks, cycle starts again. for years we have heard how celtic is a well run club and making great money with their transfer policy. which is very true but to what * purpose. i always believed a football club generated money to buy better players and compete at a higher level.

somethings wrong in the boardroom at our club, there is a * cancer in there somewhere. best dig the * out before it spreads. the only thing that seems to be holding us back is our board. WHY?

Gully Sands and Sydneysider like this.
  6. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Ya dancer! Lets smash the more money for players records. And then moan about the lack of investment from said money.

* sake when did we become more interested in balance sheets, no wonder we get treated with disdain.

7. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Good post mate, and the reason is (in my opinion), as fans we celebrate record breaking transfer fees like trophies. The board lap it up, spend the equivalent of the cheese from a * stars helmet, sell on the family silver next year, and as long as we finish above they * it's all great.

We buy season tickets again...eat sleep repeat.

Solidsnake likes this.
  8. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    yeah we celebrate these type of sales as it aides in our progression as a club. we should now have the means to buy better players for for a few key positions. making us stronger overall.

think ill be * deed before that ever happens at celtic park:31:

9. Keano88

Sorry to have to break it to you but players like Van Dijk, Dembele and Tierney won’t be staying here their entire careers in this day and age.

Spoiler alert: Edouard and Ajer will also be sold within the next few years.

It’s not something to celebrate but it’s where we are in modern day football.

All I’m saying is if our players leave and do well we can command more money next time for the likes of Ajer/Edouard..

Mr Shelby and Sydneysider like this.
  10. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Simple fact is if we win the league and compete in Europe the only motivation for the club to spend and improve the squad is through buying players they see as financial investments. Take last season for example if we had spent 30 mill last Xmas would we have beaten Valencia? We still won the treble with what we got. So think it's fair to say big spending doesn't necessarily equate to success . I'm not saying I don't want money spent, I really do. I just see from a business and practical sense the other side of the argument.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

11. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Where I'd like to see this money spent is mass investment in scouting worldwide, training, top class youth coaches and a pathway for these young players to the first time. To replace the ajers or edouards tierneys dembeles ntchams who are always going to move on. McGregor and Mikey Johnson will too

Westlondonscot likes this.
  12. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I have absolutely no doubt that is the business plan and have said often enough, but * sake man listen to yourself and read what you said...increased fees, 10% selling on clause. I think you are a fan who loves the club like me, do you really give a * we got 12% retention on some *, and a sell on profit?

Really?
    Ajax do the same but also invest heavily back into the squad. What difference does it make if it doesn't improve us?

I dont say this lightly, but we as fans have been conditioned to believe this is great, and we nod and say 25m! Ya * dancer, what a fee for that amazing player....it will be our Kryptonite.

13. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

And if we dont invest this year and we lose a historic moment?

Some people say the 10 isn't important, it is and any Celtic fan who says differently got shot in the head with Uma Thurman in that chapel by Bill....we are all craving it, so bad!

Investment will and should always be part of the strategy and long term plan, but today is also really important too...
    We need major investment....TODAY.

14. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I agree , once it's the right investment. We need to invest, we need to always be moving forward and improving. At ajax de jong or de ligt will be replaced by ekklenkamp or noa Lang. Just like they replaced verthongen or eriksen before. It's finding the balance. I'm glad we aren't bringing in a load of 40 year old washed up premier league players and paying them wages that we can't afford to try and achieve in the now mind

Rydo1888* and Garrymac1888 like this.
  15. Keano88

I do care that we get a decent sell on clause aye.

I don’t celebrate it, but the more money we get from selling our best players the better.

Something that I would celebrate is if we were in a position to keep KT, Dembélé, VVD and build a team to compete in Europe - but we can’t.

So what I was saying is, as a selling club, VVD, Dembélé and Tierney doing well means we command higher transfer fees for the inevitable future outgoing transfers - which results in us having more money to spend on replacements. (£9m Edouard, £7m Jullien, linked with £7m left back to replace KT)

A couple of years ago I would never have imagined us shelling out £9m for a ST or £7m for a CB..

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I dont think anyone truly "cares"

But I'd rather we had the opportunity to make more money from this deal in future than not have it. Surely. That's all hes saying.

In a situation like this you need to try and find any small positive you can and an extra £10m or so coming in if he does move in future is one.

17. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I get it, but I struggle with it as ultimately we do not use this extra money.

All it does is weaken us as a team and fattens the corporate bonus.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  18. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

:56:

19. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

To be honest, if we are selling the player anyway, the people who don’t care about us trying to maximise the fees probably think kill bill was a documentary.

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    The ten is important the most important thing we hang that mobs death over them if they stop the ten they will never shut up about it

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk