1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    It's a bit unfair to be having a go at MON when it's not that long ago he had us beating the likes of Germany. Expectations have now come down to a more realistic level and his results should be judged closer to this level.

It's nice to see big Mick getting the benefit of this lower expectations because in his previous term he was hammered for in my mind doing as well as can be expected. Hopefully he will be able to retire from his current term with the sweet taste of appreciation he deserved previously.

2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Greatly appreciate what MON achieved here and he gave us some great memories. However, near the the end of his tenure it was a farce what we were looking at. Parking the bus away to Denmark and Georgia? Conceding over 70% possession to * GEORGIA? It was completely unacceptable and change had to be made (which I'm not suggesting you don't agree with).

It's so refreshing to finally have a manager who has faith in his players to go and play football as opposed to trying desperately not to lose.

3. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I do agree it was time for a change but there are many and I'm not referring to posters on here who have little good to say about MON

4. Seosamh Máirtín

I agree Gabriel. A lot of thinly veiled comments coming out now after one good game. We'll see how Mick gets on vs the Danes and Swiss, but MoN deserves much more respect. It is the worst talent pool in a lifetime. A managerial change will not bring hugely different results.

5. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Richie Sadlier is a good example, after the game against Georgia he was harping on about how he hadn’t seen anything like that under O’Neill, how it was refreshing etc.

Yes, things went sour at the end but ffs we got the knockout stages of the Euros and beat Germany and Italy on the way.

The fickleness of football fans does my head in at times. People can’t remember past yesterday.

6. Seosamh Máirtín

Richie Sadler is a *. You could see how much disdain Duff had for him as he couldn't disguise his reactions to the absolute * the man was spouting.

eire4, Gabriel and StPauli1916 like this.
  7. Irish Republic

Sadlier tells it as it is unlike that FAI puppet Duff. I'd take Sadliers opinion on Irish football more serious any day than Duff's. You can't deny and let MON success with our national team mask our performances under him. It not fickleness of football fans , it's having a realistic outlook on his tenure as Republic of Ireland manager.

thailandceltic likes this.
  8. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Good draw for the u21's against Mexico u22's in the Toulon tournament tonight. Means a victory against Bahrain guarantees a semi final place as at least the best runner up.

Seosamh Máirtín and Gabriel like this.
  9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I watched the game and what was encouraging was that against good opposition Ireland actually played football and went after Mexico pressing them high up the field. There was no sitting in just to defend and just whacking the ball every time we got the ball. Instead we pressed high and tried to pass the ball and there are some promising players there like Mulumby in midfield Masterson at the back and Kelleher in goal while Connolly looked a dangerous winger.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  10. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Where do the Ireland youth play? Just wondering if it's new training facilities/attitudes in the English leagues?

It's why I like our Boards long term thinking with the new facilities which hopefully they get planning permission for. Although I imagine they would already have sussed that out before releasing all the plans?

If Ireland beat Denmark tonight does that mean they've got a good chance of going through? I know it's a long way off but that would be 3 out of 3. Not been following this tournament, Switzerland will probably be favourites?

Hope it's a good game and Ireland win, will be watching that game as it looks much better than getting humped by Cyprus :fear:

11. clonbhoy

We won't beat Denmark tonight. A draw would be an incredible result. I can't see anything other than a defeat, probably a 1-0 where we rally after going behind but Denmark never look like conceding.

12. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I dunno, just seen Denmark drew 3 3 in Switzerland which is a great result to get there but conceding three goals suggests both teams are vulnerable.

13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Irish football is still a mess from the standpoint of structures to bring through and develop our best young players. The only positive development which hopefully can be built on is the new setting up of national leagues and the setting up of youth programmes by the League of Ireland clubs to play in those leagues. Against Mexico the Irish left back Darragh Leahy was an example of that having come through Bohemians new under age structure which has shown some promise.

14. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Backing the draw at 14/5

For the love of ones country, is a terrible thing

15. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I'll take 1-1.

17. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That sounds promising. Do you think it's due to football not being your most popular sport the leagues could be rearranged? Like would a similar thing be plausible in GAA?

@Taz posted an excellent thesis on what would benefit Scotland and it involved restructuring leagues but it just seems so alien to us I can't ever imagine it happening.

It is the flexibility when thinking about progress that allows Ireland to punch above its weight in so many sports? Always wondered how you do that.

18. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Nerves kicked in.. would bite your hand off for a draw.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  19. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Hayley McQueen :56:

That's us written off then as they have 2 EPL players in their team.

20. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Jesus. Never knew he was reffing. Tends to make games a bit of a lottery.( might help us.)