1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Have we any decent players coming through does anyone know. We definitely need a fresh injection of players.

Dreadful stuff tonight. Static, no creativity and just simply outclassed. We need to look to the future. I'm sure there are a few considering retirement also. Sad night indeed.

2. ddub11

The interview after georgia over there was the same heated with the manager being difficult.

Even if RTE were at fault i think any manager at international level anyway should answer the questions regardless of how he feels about them ,as i have said the fans are the bread and butter of the national team and they have a rite to answrs.

(Dont want to get into a debate about tonight's game)but im sure a lot of fans would love to know the reasons for the strange substitutions and how the manager felt regarding our dropping of points at home during the campaign these questions are not difficult but our manager seems to go on defence when asked questions of this nature.

3. Gil-Scott Heron

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Some people were saying that Dunphy was talking * by saying that Martin's excuses for us not having good enough players was why we're not doing so well, when Michael's team is selected from 'lesser' clubs, yet they can perform so much better.

I agree with him, as much as it pains me to say it.

The North went out fighting, and they've been that way for some time. In fact, but for a dodgy ref decision and a goal-line clearance, they'd have been en route to Russia.

We completely * it.

4. Thechosenone

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony

A Brit * grow up mate

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    FannyHaddock likes this.
  6. ddub11

Things have gone downhill for us recently,as you said the north went down fighting where as we seem to slowly but surely got worse as the group went on .

Its hard to figure it out as the players and manager seemed to be talking a great game but when it came to doing it on the pitch they just stopped delivering.

I guess we can only do so much giving the players we have how ever i would love to see the manager try to get the team play a bit more ball on the ground.

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Fell asleep and missed it.

Wasn't expecting that. Don't think there should be any knee * reactions though, despite it appearing slightly embarrassing from the outside.

Realistically, is there a better manager the Republic could get? I'm unsure. Certainly in terms of being suited.

Looking at the squad, there's a definite lack of goals and flair there. I've always felt that with ROI in recent times. Scotland are bottlers but I think we have a number of players capable or changing a game when on form. Used to be the other way round with Keane, Duff etc. We now seem to have a decent crop of young players.

Maybe some fresh blood needed but not clued up enough to know who is coming through. We also all know MON and his style down to the ground. Watching some recent games though it was awfully predictable. Not to mention pish to watch.

8. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Predictable football is what you’ll get with * players though. Said the same thing to my mates earlier but give O’Neill Keane, Duff etc at their best and we qualify no questions asked IMO, and it wouldn’t be the same style of football we’re witnessing at the moment.

Our best players that we’ve produced in recent years are probably Hendrick and Brady, they play for Burnley. Not bad players but not the type of players you can build a decent international side around. Players like Keane and Duff were levels above anything Ireland or Scotland currently have.

I really think people are underestimating how much we’ve overachieved under O’Neill. The * neck of that journalist asking him had his luck ran out in the video above. * me imagine asking your national team manager of 65 years that after he’s just been knocked out of a World Cup play off.

Xatraps and Mystic Penguin like this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Thats true and I agree entirely, just saying that it's perhaps not surprising given what he is working with.

Don't see any reason why he should be given the heave ho. There's not a better manager available current all things considered, one game shouldn't change what he has achieved in recent years. Combined with his experience.

As I say it all depends on what is coming through now. I feel that for once in Scotland we actually have some hope. With the likes of Tierney, Robertson, Griffiths, Forest, Armstrong, McGregor, McGinn, Fraser, Lindsay etc there's the potential for a young side who could cause an upset under the right manager.

I don't know if you can say the same about ROI, are there players of that like coming though in decent numbers.

The thing the both of us are missing is that one player who stands out from the crowd. Tierney could grow into that for Scotland in time but I'm more meaning a talismanic playmaker or goalscorer. Look at Eriksen with Denmark, Sigurdsson with Iceland, Bale with Wales, Hamsik with Slovakia etc. It's been years since Scotland had that. ROI have just lost that with Keane.

Just about every other * country in Europe seems to have at least one player like that.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  10. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I think Scotland definitely have the more talented players but you’re right, probably lacking that talismanic figure that can get them over the line when it comes to getting to tournaments.

Serious lack of Irish talent coming through at the moment, at least that I’m aware of.

I want O’Neill to stay, I just wouldn’t blame him for chucking it as I don’t see how he surpasses what he already has done without a sudden emergence of top young players.

11. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

got the same problems we have had for years wheres the goals coming from, if yous make a chance

looks like players wise your heading for a drought

the good thing about martin is he'l get a team full of belief but if the talent is not there then theres nothing you can do really

i would imagine he'd probably chuck it now as hes getting a hiding for ultimately something that is not his fault

12. Murph-E

Aye at the end of the day, Ireland just aren't a very good team. Did well to reach the Playoffs here, and to reach the Euros Last 16. Denmark have a guy like Eriksen- we, at present, do not. O'Néill has done a good job with what he has.

On a separate note though, he's getting on like a complete * in his interviews. Stop pretending to be outraged any time you're questioned on a decision.

13. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Huns are lapping it up, only little "victory" they've had in years.

14. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    A lot of delusional Irish fans. We didn't have to fight to get 2nd in our group? Do some think because the the quality of our players Austria and Wales we brushed aside with ease. Should we have maybe already known we had a poor manager wen he didn't go one better than Wales at the Euro's?

15. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    There was a few on here as well thinking like that but only the brain dead scum ones.

The IRA, Gabriel and Sean Daleer like this.
  16. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    If Strachan had played the right players and system from the beginning of the tournament you'd have made the play-offs comfortably or even have topped the group.

Our players aren't great but MON did a great job to get them this far. I'd love Ireland to have Griffiths, Armgstrong, Tierny, Brown and McGregor.

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Shut the * up. :giggle1:

Martin O'Neill can do whatever the * he likes.

Saul Goodman and Gabriel like this.
  18. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Half the Irish fans seem to want MON out. Same type of fickle idiots who wanted Mick McCarthy out just after he returned from getting us past the group stages of the World Cup and giving Spain a * of a scare. Still waiting for one of his predecessors to equal his achievement. If MON leaves I fear we will go downhill again like after Mick was hounded out

19. ddub11

Give your mouth a rest son.

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I will when you stop talking utter *.