1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Only realizing how * mad with happiness i went last night haha * class:celt_2:

2. oh bhoy

3. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Im guessing I might feel a tad different if he played for Celtic, but I cant go that MacClean, don't really rate him either but what a tube with that tackle, was stupid and should have went.

Nice finish for the goal, but he just seems to act the bell end.

I actually wanted Wales to equalise after it, it annoyed me that much.

All the best to them, or MO anyway, but if they're up against any Celts I'll be hoping for the Celt to come out on top.

4. Serbian Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    A fantastic group phase epilogue, I really believe that Ireland won't miss a chance now, regardless of who is the opponent. :celt_2:

StPauli1916 likes this.
  5. JimMc

Hope you mean soup!

Hope this is not a forefathers moment going on!
    Watch the Movie young offenders and you'll get me drift.

Totally agree about McClean.
    I would not worry about that small ignorant minority of people who get their opinions from brit propaganda media. literal shyte like the sun supposed newspaper or most others over in that kip.

TESLA likes this.
  6. JimMc

A more stage crafted and managed visit North Korea could not have topped.

I am proud to say I am a Republican because of the simplest and purest definition, that no one is above an other from birth, no one is.
    I could not detest more as I detest 100% all systemic purposeful parasitical by design political systems, but most especially supposed royalty (all of whom are nothing but successful mafia families) being the virus that spreads down such perverse natures.

Gabriel likes this.
  7. JimMc

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    The IRA, Mystic Penguin and TESLA like this.
  8. seanm

martin oneil a * legend what a motivator. a nice playoff against n.ireland would be good lol

9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    What a great finish it was too. A magical day to savour and enjoy which I most certainly did. Superb performance from both our center backs as well in particular. I will worry about the draw for the playoffs when that happens next week for now its time to enioy this one.

Xatraps, JimMc and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The local was absolutely buzzing last night, absolute bedlam when McClean scored then again at the FT whistle.

This is probably my favourite Irish team since I began watching football and it's probably our weakest in terms of ability in about 30 years! Martin O'Neill just knows how to get it done. We've had some cracking results since he became manager.

11. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You couldn't even say we rode our luck or got lucky. We defended immensely and completely nullified any threat they had, Bale or not they're still a side that got to a European Championship semi-final.

12. oh bhoy

Was really pleased to see Joe allen getting his instant karma after the two nasty tackles he made

13. JimMc

Behave and wash your mouth as that is a pure sevco comment you just made there.

Apart from the very strong likelihood you likely have no idea of the hundreds of Irish accents, many of which evolved from outside the island of Ireland.
    From the around 80 plus million around the world who claim Irish heritage, 40 plus million in the States and 7 million plus in Australia for examples.
    To the millions across the island of Britain, some of who like the Irish tribes who have been there before since the fall of the Roman empire. The Romans referred to these tribes from IRELAND or Hiberia as the Scotia. How ironic for the simple minds huh? Scot means Irish, No that Jim Kerr was simple mind ye.
    North Wales was effectively once and for centuries Irish.
    More recent, these past century the Irish have emigrated and where ever they went, they brought their accents and forms of Irish language with them, changing utterly the new places previous accent.
    Irish Accents they brought with them to evolved new ones, often in effective communal isolation, so these accents today such as in parts of Nova Scotia Canada or in Boston in the States are obviously Irish by main influence.

Cockney not so well known, but the very name Cockney was originally a demeaning term to describe the mainly Irish and Jewish immigrants of the slum of slums of 19th Century London.
    Sad and perversely ironic to think the likes of the london members of the edl and before them the nf and bnp who now a few generations on 'imagine' themselves as 'real anglo saxon and prods' are actually by and large descended from the poorest and most discriminated of foreign emigrants themselves.

So I do hope that you as a Celtic supporter of a club founded by Irish people, who's descendants still live in the area and evolved unique accents every bit as much Irish as Scottish or supposed british accent!! made your most ignorant supposed 'point' from frustration, a error from your apparent pain of the thought and later reality of Ireland winning.

And not some actual 20th century and older typical brit anti Irish undercurrent racism.

If you want me to expand and explain more do try and justify the comment!

[​IMG]
    Tom Clarke * Hero of Ireland, he who never surrendered to the brit crown bully.
    Never had one of these 'imagined' Irish accents for at least his early childhood.
    Not did Connolly or Larkin, they had Irish accents alright, but ones that evolved in Edinburgh and Liverpool.
    [​IMG]

Erskine Childers had no Irish accent of the imagination, just a pure Irish heart.
    Neither did Wolfe Tone, or the son of a Scottish Presbyterian and French Huguenot, the Legendary Irish Hero and true Irishman and patriot Henry Joy McCracken.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

They all were Irish and all had Irish accents, just not ones that fitted into the most simplistic of imaginations.

14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed. Even in the first half when we were very poor in terms of keeping the ball they really did next to nothing with all the possession they did have. Duffy and Clark at center back and Meyler in front of them were the key for us I felt on the night. Meyler will be a big miss for the first leg of the playoff although hopefully James McCarthy will be fit enough to play by then.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think he's underrated as he's not really that skillful. But he's solid defensively, puts in some work rate and is a decent crosser of the ball with a decent shot on him. Like a good bit better version of Barry Robson i'd say.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Boy likes the IRA and hates the Queen he's a good *.

17. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    I was with my Boxer Ruby on the local beach this morning and had 2 of her favourite balls to play with,and she just wanted to play with the Green one:84:

StPauli1916 likes this.
  18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Can we have an all Ireland play off?

19. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Queue down Sauchiehall street, GS charging a fiver at the door

oh bhoy likes this.
  20. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    No