1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Chris Coleman is a grade A *.

Really gone down in my estimations after his and his teams behaviour during the Ireland game.

2. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    So I see that the great Leo Messi just got a 4 match ban for verbally abusing a linesman at the end of their World Cup game last week against Chile. Will Neil Taylor get a longer ban considering what he did has put the very career of a player at risk and at best has left a player out of the game for the best part of a year? Will be interesting to see if anything gets down about Taylor. An absolute disgrace if he just gets a regular ban and Messi is getting 4 for calling someone names essentially.

4. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Fairly scathing piece in this weeks Racing and Football Outlook.

Reckless tackling is unacceptable

" Neil Taylor isn't that type of player apparently and according to Wales boss Chris Coleman his left-back was "despondent" after breaking Seamus Coleman's leg in two places during last week's highly-anticipated World Cup qualifier against Ireland.
    There are loads of nonsensical sayings in football and "not that type of player" is one of the pundits go to phrases.
    If Taylor isn't that type of player then why was the Swansea man sent off after just 90 seconds in a Championship playoff semi-final against Nottingham Forest ? The offence ? Lunging thigh high into Midfielder Lewis McGuigan.
    Also this is the same Taylor who studded Spurs Kyle Walker in the face earlier this season.
    It's dangerous, it's reckless and it's not acceptable even if you are a decent bloke which apparently Taylor is, at least according to the Wales online Website.
    Also the next time you hear a player defend themselves from a red card following a dangerous lunge by claiming they "Won the ball" just remember the sight of Coleman's shattered leg, which is expected to keep him out for at least six months.
    "Winning the ball" or "playing the ball" are simply not good enough.
    The best defenders stay on their feet for a reason. Maybe the average ones could try it in the future and career-changing injuries would be reduced."

Mark Langdon

5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Interestingly Ireland's long association with Umbro will come to an end at the end of this season. When we play Georgia in World Cup qualifying early next season we will be wearing New Balance kits. Have not seen any details other then that is what will be happening.

6. Cofi#12-CFC1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown, Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic symphony
  7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I would say up front is our biggest weakness from top to bottom both in terms of starting quality and lack of quality depth. Wonder why Hogan seemingly is not all that interested as given our lack of options there he would have a real shot at establishing himself in the team.

8. Cofi#12-CFC1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic symphony
    What is worrying for me is real lack of quality youngsters coming through ROI national selections, same goes for Scotland. I always prefer to see actual Irish/Scots playing for their country, who feel that pride when they wear their green/navy blue shirt, than guys who are connected with country only through their granny being born there. Unfortunately, today both teams search their new players among English because of genuine lack of quality.

As for Hogan, I think he wants to do the same thing Hooper wished to do, to score goals for one of those weaker sides in England, which would rocket him into their national team.

9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I wish I could disagree with you about the lack of quality coming through the ranks for Ireland but I cannot. This has been the case for a while now. The current squad for all the heroics of the last Euros is as weak an Irish squad in terms of talent as has been the case since probably the late 70's. The facts are Ireland is reaping the seeds sown for so long by the FAI who have long abdicated the responsibility to actually develop our most talented players instead just assuming the clubs over the water will do it. But with the vast sums of money now involved in the epl their academy teams are filled with youngers from all over the world and Irish players get pushed further and further down the ladder club wise. Plus the FAI still continues to refuse to set up an academy programme to give the kind of quality training needed in a residential setting for our most promising 12-16 year old players at home. Instead the various local clubs around the country keep a hold of our top youngers coming through who thus by the time they are 16 are way behind technically.

10. Cofi#12-CFC1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic symphony
    FAI are complete embarrassment, I read earlier about this lack of academies and crippling their own youngsters with no decent training and development program. It feels as you said that they are more than satisfied with leaving English academies do all the work and find occasional Championship/League 1 player who qualifies to play for ROI, although he's born and breed English. And yes, I agree about lack of Irish youngsters in English academies, their amount gets smaller each season.

eire4 likes this.
  11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No doubt about it the FAI are a joke and not a good one at that. We are now experiencing the reality of their total lack of work in preparing our top players and just assuming the clubs over the water will do it for them. Sadly I have to say I see things getting worse too in the future as I have seen nothing other then minor changes from the FAI. The move in the season is a positive at the youth ages as it will improve playing surfaces which can only be good but that is a minor change. The emergence of true national leagues is again a positive but again only a minor one. The development ladder for the top young talent in Ireland needs radical overhaul from the FAI if we are to avoid slipping further and further behind internationally and I have simply not seen any indication from the FAI that they are even aware of the need never mind actually taking steps.

Cofi#12-CFC1888 likes this.
  12. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Spot on, it's actually worse than I thought it was.

I'm 22 now but played for Cherry Orchard from the age of 11 to 14 and then again when I was 16. We were the best schoolboy team in the country by a mile, won the SFAI Cup three years in a row and won the DDSL league three times in four seasons and lost the fourth in a play off. I think we were the most successful Cherry Orchard team in the clubs schoolboy history and for a club that has produced a lot of Irish internationals you would have thought there would have been loads of opportunities in the UK for us, but right now there is only one playing in England and thats at Lincoln City. Only a handful are playing League of Ireland.

I remember thinking at the time that at least five or six of the team would make it in England no bother, but the opportunties just dont seem to be there.

eire4 likes this.
  13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I hear you my sisters husband played for Cherry Orchard. I grew up playing with Belvedere and had similar success and the facts remain while Belvedere, St Joseph's, Cherry Orchard and the other big schoolboy clubs in Dublin do a decent job for most players for the elite level players they are a problem. They simply are not professional clubs the players at that level do not get the day to day professional training and environment they need and hence as a result by the time those players are 16 they are way behind especially when it comes to the game technically.

I have said it before and I firmly believe it. The top schoolboy clubs need to give up the top say 40-50 odd 12-17 year olds in the country and send them into a national residential fully professional training academy where they would be trained in the right environment professionally on an day to day basis. This will require real investment as you would need a residency facility near the FAI fields in Abbotstown and an agreement with a local school. But this is where the FAI need to go.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  14. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You're right. The talent is definitely here, it just needs to be developed properly. I would worry about the standard of coaching here, I always felt the coach I had at the time at Cherry Orchard was top notch, and whenever we went over to train with or play against academies in England they were no better, but I experienced others coaches at different clubs across the DDSL and a lot of them were very poor.

If there was to be some sort of professional academy it would need to be ran by someone with a track record in an academy abroad I think, I really wouldn't have faith in some of the * working in the FAI. It is a good idea though.

eire4 likes this.
  15. RudiVata

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    Anyone know what channel the games on if at all? or a link?

16. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  17. RudiVata

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    Cheers

kinglenny likes this.
  18. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Doyle, Long, Egan, Pearce, Christie, Gleeson, O’Kane, O’Dowda, Hourihane, McClean, McGoldrick

Has kick off been delayed?

19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Well I think it is fair to say that 3 back experiment did not work. Other then the opening 15 minutes when we should have taken the lead and looked good we were completely out played for long spells in the game. Although after Glesson had pulled one back O'Dowda should have got a second and made it 3-2 with still 10 minutes left. So certainly chances created on the night but the 3 back was a disaster and we were exposed time and again while Hourihane, Horgan and O'Dowda as the central mid trio were out classed all night pretty much.

20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Looks like we are signing from the same song sheet. I was in the same spot at Belvedere got good coaching there but once I moved on and moved abroad I could see that while what I got at Belvedere was good overall it was not good enough in terms of producing top level elite professional football players. Agree with you too about the overall low level of coaching outside maybe a few of the top clubs and that we would need to make sure that if a residential academy is brought in that we make sure to have genuine quality involved in running it.