1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Guitar/Amp/Gear Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Sporting CP Bhoy, Nov 13, 2018.

Discuss The Guitar/Amp/Gear Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    @Sporting CP Bhoy : Hey man you still alive ? not seen ye in this thread for ages, did you have any luck with the scratch plate for your Jem ?

2. Gercelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic song, Let the people sing, Fields
    Love my guitars....

Got a Fender Tele 1978 (American)
    Gretsch G2420
    Gretsch Racher Acoustic
    Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
    Epiphone 12 String
    Gretsch Jim Dandy

....and an LTD Bass guitar

Currently using a Marshall MG50FX and a Line 6 Spider 2x12 amps.

And a Boss ME-50 multi effects box.

Magic!!!!!!

3. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Nice one Gercelt, is that MG50FX one of the new modeller amps ?
    I had an old line 6 Flextone 2 HD many years ago, but got rid of it as it started to blow fuses round the rest of the house, a common fault apparently on that model.

Gercelt likes this.
  4. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Have a Warwick Thumb (my pride and joy), a Warwick Rockbass Corvette (used mostly to gig with), a Fender Jazz Bass (got some neat sounds out of it, and good to experiment with) and a relatively cheap Ibanez (which was left at my mate's place so would have something to jam with when was there, lol... and to my knowledge he still has it).

Sadly all of those are in Australia. Did also have an acoustic bass here with me, but gave that to my daughter just a few months ago. So will be in the market for a new one this year, but it's not the highest priority at the moment.

Did have a Fender Squire Precision bass (Japan), which was my first bass and what I learned with, but it got pinched along with the amp I had at the time. Anyone who knows King Street in Newtown, Sydney, will know its lined with cafes, restaurants, bookshops, bottleshops, pubs and quite a few pawnbrokers. At least it was in the mid-90's when was living there. On this one Sunday evening on the way home (had been away all weekend) and spotted an amp in one shopwindow, and thinking, "wow, that looks a lot like mine", then passing another a couple of blocks further down and spotted the bass, which also also made me think, 'wow, thats the same model and design (sunburst) as mine...', but could only tell so much to discover both of them were. The flatmate I had at the time had pinched them and done a runner. Sadly wasnt the last time something like that happened. :(

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  5. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    @Taz
    I hear Warwicks are really good basses, especially for rock/metal, I had actually thought of getting one myself for recording, but ended up getting some bizarre thing that turned out not too good. I so wish i had kept my Peavey bass it was awesome, made for the EU market only, it looked like a cirrius 4 (Cirrus 4) ? and was all different woods, passive 4 string but was just great for live and recording, I sold it to the Bass player in the band as his Fender Jazz got swiped at a gig and i needed the money at the time.
    I have a feeling i may venture into getting a better Bass at some point.

That's a total * about yer flatmate I hate people who disrespect other peoples stuff in such a way, unfortunately it happens way too much, hopefully you find him some day and with a good pair of steelies on you can deliver many swift kicks to his happy sack...it's well deserved.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Taz likes this.
  6. Gercelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It is buddy, aye. Cracking wee bit of kit. Good fun playing around with it.

scuzzy likes this.
  7. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    I quite fancy picking up a marshall Origin 20H, it's a 20 watt switchable down to 3 or 0.5 watt, ideal for bedroom recording, valve sound with one el34 and 3 ecc83's in the preamp.

Gercelt likes this.
  8. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Really trimmed over the years because Gear Acquisition Syndrome is a real problem...

Currently only have "one of each":

'64 Gibson SG (broken and replaced everything, nothing original except the wood)
    '60s Rodriguez classical guitar (cracked top, refinished, but sounds awesome!)
    '00s Reverend bass (great beater!)
    '68 Princeton Reverb (refurbished everything except chasis, faceplate, reverb)
    '70s Marshall 50W red tolex amp
    '70s Marshall 8x10 stripped cabinet

9. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    LOL @PorchBhoy67 yeah i know what you mean regarding GAS your caught up in it before you know it, but i'm currently trying to save for a Les Paul, coz there some stuff i wanna do but only the LP can get me the right tones, the rest of my guitars take care of everything else, just a shame they are so stupidly expensive, but i'm not gonna go mad, might even go for a studio or a classic it's still up in the air but deffi gravitating to the classic 57 pups...we'll see

10. Gercelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Would love to get in to some home recording. My daughter plays guitar now. We are always talking about getting some stuff written. She has a wee band with her friends, I've no interest now in playing live or in a band.

just enjoy doodling in the house/

11. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Yeah for sure I understand, home recording is great you can make your own time for it and do whatever you want to do, just messing about and doodling will bring lots of ideas you can keep and stick some together, all you need is an interface, DAW software, and a computer and your good to go.
    Good to see yer daughters getting into music too always a plus.

My last post i mentioned about the marshall origin series, but have saw now that they have done a similar thing with the new marshall studio series featuring a 20 watt switchable down to 5 watts jcm 800 and a vintage super lead jcm 45 type, i'm thinking of going in that direction instead now as those will probably make the origin series obsolete, but they are stupidly expensive, even dearer than a 50 watt.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Reading this is making me want to go and buy some new pedals. :)

13. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    hahaha yup i know how that works

14. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

I enjoy this thread because of the enthusiasm a nice laid back thread :)

15. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    @bagforlife : Yeah i find most musicians seem to be quite an enthusiastic breed about their guitars and their gear, trouble is no matter what we have we always seem to be like..OK just this one more pedal/amp/guitar and i'm done...never happens :40:

bagforlife likes this.
  16. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    What’s a decent cheap acoustic to get? My latest one is *, just doesn’t sound right. I’ve been getting a lot better and i sound fine on other guitars but as soon as i pick mine up its * awful.

Best one ive ever used is the one at my work, wee cheap £35 aldi number but sounds fantastic, unfortunately they’ve stopped doing them.

17. StevieBhoooy!

Depends on budget ...

One mans cheapo is another mans dream.
    Yamaha apx range are great value ... and I’m not a lover of Far Eastern instruments...

Epiphone can be excellent ... I had a hummingbird that sounded way better than a Gibson one I tried at 10x the price.

Just always try it and go with what sounds and feels right.

On a more basic level...

Have you tried a complete string change on your current one ? Decent strings and a bit of fret treatment / bridge & saddle setup can make a serious difference.

18. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    It really wouldn’t be worth the effort as it was under £50. Looking to spend about a hundred on one.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    A Yamaha, or Epiphone acoustic will do the job at £100.

20. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Go into as many shops as you can, try out as many as you can, some woods sound quite dark, some quite bright, make sure it feels good in your hands, wider neck, thinner neck, it's really a personal choice but basically the one that sounds best to your ears and feels best in your hands is the one. It's not a matter of get one from Gibson or Fender etc (the big brands) some of the little brands can be excellent. I have 2 one is an old Ibanez I picked up for £120 out a * shop originally around £380 new, set for normal stringing the other is a cheap £35 Lidl one that is high strung (Nashville tuning) when you record both together it sounds great. Also try different string types and guages, some people actually like electric guitar stings on an acoustic.
    Good luck with your hunt @Jax Teller .:50:

Side note: The Aldi and Lidl ones come out every year at Xmas

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Jax Teller likes this.