1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Golf Course Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by cidermaster, Feb 26, 2018.

Discuss The Golf Course Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    What different Golf Courses have you played on in your time,your favourites,hardest,longest,easiest etc etc Or of course you may just walk on some cool ones or not so cool ones,taking your dog or for Wildlife.Yes what are the different Golf Courses you have encountered?
    I am not a golfer,even though i used to sneak on my local course in Altrincham well back in the day with mates early in the morning or on very quiet evenings to play pitch and putt.I did attempt a round with 2 mates at Dougalston Golf Course near Milngavie in a one off,got 1 par,my only ever par on a Par 4 there,it was a quite a good course.

2. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Not played many just really started getting onto it last year, Iv played sandyhills (private) course is in great condition all year round and is a tricky par 70, lethem hill (council) is a very nice course and quite tricky a few blind holes and a nice layout could do with some money spent on it as it can get very boggy, drumpellier (private) another decent course quite flat and well maintained not the most difficult tho, cawder championship course, has two courses (private) longest course iv played as all private courses its very well maintained not the hardest of courses if your a big hitter, kilsyth lennox was OK not sure if its private, great views and setting, some very picturesque holes it was extremely wet but held up well, I planning to get more this year so might be looking for some partners if anyone interested

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I tend to just play local and never venture further afield, most probably as I’m spoiled where I am.

I have a season ticket at Carnoustie and it doesn’t get much tougher than that. I rarely play the medal though, play the Buddon and Burnside courses every week.

When I ever do take in another course, I like to get inland and away from the challenge of Links golf. Can be less forgiving when you have trees either side of the fairway and really tests your skills :56: Getting to the age now where i’ll be looking to take the clubs on my summer hols and get to the Algarve or something :giggle1:

cas79 and Aidan O’Shea like this.
  4. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Carnoustie is on my bucket list among a host of others i think I'd need a few dozen spare balls tho, I played a links course in girvin a good few years back right on the coast wind was a killer, how much is a season ticket and could I play as a visitor

5. Aidan O’Shea

Portrush on the north coast of Ireland. Haven’t actually been golfing in Scotland yet, which is shameful.

cas79 likes this.
  6. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’m 30 quid a month mate. Yeah you can play it as a visitor. The Championship will set you back £200 for a round in the summer, £90 in winter.

If you get out with a season ticket holder you get a massively reduced rate though, about 30 quid I think

cas79 likes this.
  7. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    I've played Carnoustie 3 times, once when I was about 14 (shot 86), and then when I was 20 (shot 81 in the morning and 80 in the afternoon). I felt that if I'd got to know the course better, I could have scored in the mid 70s.
    I thought the Old Course at St Andrews was much harder. So different to any other course.

I have a soft spot for Royal Birkdale because I was a member there for over 20 years, and also love the course next door, Hillside, which is often used as an Open Qualifier.

cas79 and Marty McFly like this.
  8. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    That's not bad at all and your green fees are on top of the £30 pm depending on the course I take it, when or if I go I'll be giving you a shout lol, I want to do the big 4 Carnoustie, Gleneagals, St Andrews, Royal troon, i like the look of Turnberry too

9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nah mate, the 30 quid a month is my green fees. Have a seven day ticket for two courses (Buddon and Burnside), if I want to play the Championship it’s £11.50 for me on the day to upgrade.

cas79 likes this.
  10. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    That's superb I'm paying more that in some of my locals and I need a wet suit in some I might try get up before the summer season starts, how good is transport links from Glasgow any idea

11. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We have a train station, there are actually three train stations in Carnoustie believe it or not.

Queen St to Carnoustie is a direct route and takes about an hour and a half maybe? Not a regular service but would do the job. You could bus it to Dundee and then there are regular local buses to here.

cas79 likes this.
  12. Mr. Slippyfist

The huggie.

13. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    It would have to be the train to get my trolley on I normally get the train up to Coatbridge and its never been an issue, that's good there is a direct link from me, not being able to drive is really holding me back as there is some great courses here in the home of golf

Marty McFly likes this.
  14. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I play that once a week if you hear loud screaming one day that's me messing up my shot

15. KG-Henrik

Dont play football anymore so golf is my game of choice. Ive been incredibly lucky to have played some great courses. The Championship course at Carnoustie has been my favorite. Love the last 3 holes. The Budden and Burnside are very good.
    Played St Andrews Old course last year to tick off the list. Was amazing to play it with all the history behind it.
    St Andrews-The Castle Course was a brilliant test.
    St Andrews-Eden Course-great value considering its the one that runs along side the Old Course.
    St Andrews-The Kittocks Course is better than The Torrance Course at The Fairmont Hotel
    Kingsbarns-good but not worth the money
    Ive not really thought about it before but ive probably played over 50 different courses.

Marty McFly and cas79 like this.
  16. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    few years ago got the chance to play the championship course ( open one ) at turnberry ...... fekkin destroyed,, never enjoyed it at all .

Ayrshire a good place for golf lads .

cas79 and Marty McFly like this.
  17. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Funnily enough played my first game of golf 2 Sunday ago at Aintree racecourse due to a broken shoulder 4 years ago and 2 operations since, quite enjoyed it, going to Mersey Valley in Widnes with son this week and hopefully kick on from there as ive missed it

cas79 likes this.
  18. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Its took over my life this game its the most frustrating sport iv ever played but also the most rewarding, was thinking if anyones interested in getting a golfing day organised for charity or something I'm sure a few members would be keen and would be good to put a face to some members too

Marty McFly likes this.
  19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I'm terrible at golf..........:54:

20. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Me too, I try