1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Game Changers

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by PaulM1888, Oct 29, 2019.

Discuss The Game Changers in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Documentary on Netflix about meat consumption and plant based diets.

Anyone watched it yet and what did you take away from it?

I have some of my own thoughts, some issues with it and definitely some moral questions for my own diet off the back of it but I’d be interested to read what others thought or took away from watching?

2. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Thought it was very interesting iv saw a few docs about the subject and all seem to be saying the same thing, theres a good doc called fat sick and nearly dead, that's quite good too, a nutritionist once said to me if you can't eat something in its raw form don't eat it

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

3. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Heard things about it which make me more sure Kris Commons was talking out his * when he said the Diela Diet was meaning players had no energy.

Olympic level athletes all over the world are Vegan, the wee man clearly took the hump because he wasn't allowed a chips, cheese and donner.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I had a few issues with it; the lack of balance to the argument, the delivery of the stats and facts which was thrown at you too quickly to digest and the actual source of those facts. For example, they painted Patrik Baboumian as 'one of the strongest men on Earth'. Disregarding the fact I've never heard of him in among the likes of Bjornsson, Eddie Hall, Shaw, Zavickis or Licis a quick Google shows he's nowhere near any of those guys level.

The one thing I did take from it (and this is something I think about regularly) is my skewed moral compass in relation to animals. I love animals, all animals including farm animals. I get infuriated by pictures of poachers slaughtering defenceless animals all over Social Media but yet I'll shovel other animals in my gub with zero remorse or thought of what it is or where it came from.

I've moved further towards a plant based diet recently through choice before seeing this, don't think I'd ever be able to move over completely but there's definite tangible benefits in eating more fruit and vegetables and cutting back on meat. Think that's basic common sense. Even if it's just to cut down on the mass produced lower quality * meat we're being spoon-fed these days.

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I have a problem with the morality side of things. For vegetables to be grown, thousands of birds, insect, frogs etc have to be killed to keep them away from the food.

6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hate this vegan fad forcing their views down my throat. Vegetarians never done that. What is it with these vegan fannies. For every vegan that tries to force their own anti animal views onto me, I'll eat an extra steak. Get it up yeeeez!!!

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Not true. Grow them out your back garden...

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Agree with this, to an extent. There’s definitely a militant element to vegan own.

9. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not entirely feasible if you don't have a back garden. If I've missed the sarcasm im sorry hahah

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Grow them on your window sill then.

HAHAHAHHAHAH

11. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Reported

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I felt like I was watching an advert for veganism the entire time, and I'm not surprised there's been criticism of the documentary, with many noting the information thrown at you with no time to digest it.

The athletes' 'evidence' is all anecdotal and there are plenty of non-vegan atheletes performing at just a high level, without the overriding message of diet being the be all and end all. Tbh the entire thing felt pretty biased to me.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The lopsided argument was definitely my biggest takeaway from it.

Certain things were fairly surprising and won’t have been made up, like the blood results of the NFL players etc... but even if they had spent 5 or 10 minutes weighing up similar athletes who do eat meat it would have balanced it a bit.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  14. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    The guys on the Joe Rogan pod cast debating about it with another dude

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The presenter/narrator/ex MMA fighter?

He eats meat himself...

16. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    The mma fighter and producer, no sure the other * but hes the counter argument I think iv not watched it yet