1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Cross Platform] The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by MacKinnon10, May 15, 2011.

Discuss The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacKinnon10

Fav Celtic Player:
    Armstrong
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough. This Land Is Our LAnd and Let The People Sing
    Ok, we have had a few of these threads open and then fade off into obscurity. Here is some of the concrete features of the game:
    General Information

• There is difficulty scaling.
    • Bethesda have enlisted many more voice actors.
    • Characters will behave more naturally by doing things while they talk to you
    • The Camera will not zoom in during conversations.
    • There is a sprint mechanic that will use up stamina
    • Running backwards is slower than running forwards
    • The game will customise unique encounters based on the things you do
    • There are more activities offered in towns (forge work, alchemy, enchantment, farming, mining, woodcutting, cooking, etc)

Environments
    • There are 6-7 world environments
    • The northern coast of Skyrim is covered in ice, snow and glaciers. To the west it's rocky and craggy and in the middle of Skyrim there is a large tundra (A tundra is a biome where the tree growth is hindered by low temperatures and short growing seasons.)
    • There are 5 main cities
    • Underground areas will be more varied (Icy caves, forgotten crypts)
    • Environments are deliberately beautiful

Levelling, Skills & Spells
    • The class system has been removed
    • Your overall level will increase faster if you focus on specific skills, the more skills you practice the slower you will level up.
    • There are 18 skills
    • There are 85 spells
    • Leveling will automatically improve health, the player then has the choice of further boosting health, stamina or magicka
    • There are now perks similar to Fallout
    • Once the player has reached level 50, further leveling is dramatically slower.
    • Mysticism has been removed due to redundancy

Combat
    • Bow and arrow attacks do a lot more damage
    • Designed to feel more tactile
    • Weapons and spells can be applied separately for each hand.
    • There are unique finishing moves
    • Dragon Shouts are a new mechanic within the game
    • You will fight dragons throughout the game

Graphics
    • Characters will show more emotion in their facial expressions
    • Large draw distances
    • Dynamic shadows for all game objects
    • Improved third-person perspective
    • Realistic falling snow
    • Independent moving tree branches
    • Dragons will have a stone like appearance
    • Interfaces & Menu
    • HUD free option
    • The main menu comprises of skills, inventory, map and magic
    • The menu superficially interacts with the world around you
    • The menu has been designed around organising data efficiently
    • All objects have a 3D image for you to examine
    • The map is an interactive real time screen shot of the world you're in.
    Also, some of the other concrete facts :

* Unlike the previous games where melee combat were free-for-alls prone to friendly fire, "Skyrim" will feature a context-sensitive melee system described as "Magnetism" in the French PSN, where your melee attacks will automatically target foes instead of slashing everything in your path. This is somewhat similar to the autotargeting system in "Assassin's Creed Brotherhood."

* Unique weapons will possess hidden effects that you will only discover upon using the weapon.

* Players will be unable to block attacks if they are wielding a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other. Only players who wield two handed weapons or a sword and shield can perform blocks.

* The "Spell Shield" ability will see a return in "Skyrim."

* Taverns will serve as important locations in the game. Players will be able to overhear conversations, collect rumors, begin quests, acquire information and much more.

* Players can stalk non-player characters and chart their routines, and break and enter into their homes when they aren't around.

* The information quest givers provide you will depend upon their disposition towards you. Friendly NPCs will provide you with more information while hostile or distrusting characters will provide you with a lot less.

* A dungeon described as "Bleak Falls Barrow" is inhabited by Draugr--undead Nord warriors. Players can expect to encounter a ghostly dragon priest and fight a giant Frostbite Spider. The dungeon has been described by Bethesda as "terrifying."

* The quest to Bleak Falls Barrow is provided to you by a shopkeeper named Lucan who wants you to retrieve his priceless Draconic family heirloom--a golden claw.

* "Skyrim" will see the inclusion of new area-of-effect spells such as "Ice Trap," which is triggered when an enemy walks over it; "Circle of Protection," an area-of-effect spell which pushes enemies in your vicinity away; and "Fury" which causes enemies to fight amongst themselves.

* With a strong emphasis on melee combat, "Skyrim" will feature the addition of finishing moves, one of which has been described as "plunging your sword into the enemy's chest."

* As a game that's more or less an open sandbox, players will be able to perform free-form activities like cooking, woodcutting, mining, and blacksmithing.

* One of the new "Dragon Shout" abilities slows down time, and is similar to Bullet Time.

* One of the first cities the player visits is called Riverwood, and is decried as "a smattering of timber buildings, including a sawmill."

* The new "Radiant Story" feature of Skyrim--which generates side-quests based on player actions--is inspired by the random encounters in the Fallout series.

* "Skyrim" contains exhaustive environmental effects, such as the effects of wind on water and the creation of waves. The game will also contain meteorological effects, with clouds clustering around mountaintops and so forth.

* It will be possible to raise all skills to the maximum 100 points but it isn't possible to get every perk in a single playthrough.

* With regards to the story, the death of the King of Skyrim has caused a civil war to break out in the country.

* Dragon encounters will not be scripted events. These Dragons may attack towns and cities during its travels, which may cause it to be set ablaze.

* Every large settlement in the land of Skyrim will be unique. The city of Marketh Side is set into a cliffside, with buildings teetering on the edge. Haarfingar is said to be home to the largest trading port in Skyrim. One of the cities in Skyrim is even said to be heavily inspired by the Dunmer architecture of Morrowind.

* Bethesda intends to bring back a sense of eccentricity into the world of Vvardenfell, as each Nord faction will have its own customs and styles instead of being carbon copies.

* The economy of "Skyrim" will be better developed than the one in previous games. If you destroy a city's means of income (for instance, by razing their crops), its inhabitants will have to purchase crops from a nearby city, thereby raising prices.

* Archers will be able to hold their breath--an action which consumes stamina--while aiming in order to increase their accuracy. This ability is similar to the sniping abilities in games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and the Call of Duty series.

* Wounded dragons have a chance of crashing into the ground.

* It is possible to cut dialogue short by simply walking away from a speaking NPC.

* Dragon Shouts are assigned to the R3 button on the PS3 gamepad.

* Most NPCs will not have a complete set of dialogue, with only "important" characters having substantial dialogue.

I know alot of the hardcore Elder Scrolls gamers will know these fatcs, but for guys who have heard of it, but don't know, then i hope this is usefull. Also here are some things RUMOURED to be included:

1. Console Mods. My personal favourite of all the rumours. Could hit a snag as Sony and Microsoft are worried about nude mods.

2. Change body shape. Make your guy super fat or super skinny! ------ CONFIRMED!! :50::50::50:BOOOYA

3. Dragons can swoop down and pluck people off the ground! Yikes :56:

4. As you can set oil on fire, its rumoured that you can light arrows on fire and possibly burn houses down! hmmmmmmmmmm

Ok. Thats all i can be assed writing :56: I will continuelly bump this freakin thread untill the release date!

This is OFFICIAL in game videos leaked by the production team. its only a few seconds long but it shows you how good the graphics are, especially as the video is recorded on a * camera phone!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUglLptD3ws[/YOUTUBE]

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/dragon-shouts-dual-weilding-factions-more-skyrim-reveals/

A few extra details post E3.

-- Customizable Face/Body Scars, Facial/Body War Paint -- Confirmed.
    -- Relationships, Confirmed.
    -- Train Your Own Deciple/Apprentice -- Confirmed.
    -- Customize Your Character's Muscle Mass And Muscle Tone -- Confirmed.
    --- NO Horse Combat -- Confirmed.
    -- Umbra Returns -- Rumored.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU[/YOUTUBE]

If you guys hear anything, make sure you comment and il add it to the OP, plus deds :50::50: and if i have missed anything obvious make sure you tell me! :56:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
  2. KhingLarsson

For the king!

For the king!

For the sake of Skyrim!

For our life, for our home

For Hrothgar's blood

For the Nords and for the Gods,

For the sole single son

Dovahkiin, our king, who'll dawn with fire!

I think I'll cry when I get this game, when I do have children I'll be like this is a little like when I got Elder Scrolls V. I have a google news alert set up for it :icon_mrgreen:

3. MacKinnon10

Fav Celtic Player:
    Armstrong
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You sir. Are a genius :icon_mrgreen:

4. KhingLarsson

You never thought of that? :87: its epeic I get an email anytime new stories come out for it. I'm just glad someone else here is as obsessed by this game as I am :icon_mrgreen:

5. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Cant wait for this, that "bleak falls barrow " dungeon sounds epic.

6. KhingLarsson

Link please :icon_mrgreen:

7. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Mate its in the opening post lol

8. KhingLarsson

Ahh right I didn't read the opening post because I know everything already, I didn't know that was the name of the quest :icon_mrgreen: this game sounds orgasmic.

9. MacKinnon10

Fav Celtic Player:
    Armstrong
    Fav Celtic Song:
    :icon_mrgreen: Iv never realised things that like where do-able :56: Iv joined like 20 forums to do with Skyrim :50: Brilliant, turns out i got google Alerts to The Elder Scrolls IV :52::56:
    I just can't wait for a new realm to go exploring in! And the fact the dungeons arn't gonna be carbon copies is huggeeeeee :icon_mrgreen: Bleak Falls is gonna be the main quest for me, after the main main quest obviously!

10. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Is this the new Oblivion ??

11. KhingLarsson

Elder Scrolls V mate :56: not IV its gonna be amazing, considering I sunk nearly 200 hours into one character in Oblivion. The graphics look great too. Do you play Fallout as well mate?

12. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

I'm ashamed to admit I never played Oblivion. I usually play fps games, but lately got into Fallout, Mass Effect etc as well.

Is Oblivion worth a try?

13. format

If you like smashing things up with a sword , then yes!

Quite excited about this game.

14. Harry Caray

I never played Oblivion either but i will defo be getting this, I love Mass Effect & Fallout so i'm sure i'll love this !

15. Feyenoord_Celt

Im up for a new elder scrolls. Ive played some oblivion. Im not much of a gamer but this is good to play. What do you guys play as. My oblivion build was a breton and i was owning everything with my spell set. Im not much of a sword yielder cos that is so much clicking lol. Prob do skyrim as a stealthy archer/thief. Something quiet so i dont have to click 500 times every minute.

16. MacKinnon10

Fav Celtic Player:
    Armstrong
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ano :56: i was stressed :52: I play Fallout 3, haven't bothered with New Vegas... yet :86:

17. KhingLarsson

Fallout is Oblivion lol except with guns and not swords and magic :icon_mrgreen: if you like Mass Effect and Fallout then Oblivion is for you :50:

18. MacKinnon10

Fav Celtic Player:
    Armstrong
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Oh jeeeez :52: Could a Mod change the name to "The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim" :52: much abliged

19. MartinR

cant wait for this. just hope if there is vampires then at least this time ill no what to do! * kept walking out in sunlight and dieing and didnae no why!

will get this the first day it comes out as the misses and my daughter are away for the weekend,

20. MacKinnon10

Fav Celtic Player:
    Armstrong
    Fav Celtic Song: